Space Hulk tokens/tiles -- NEW PICS, borpedoes and blips

JeffTibbetts

Okay, starting off with a bit of a teaser... Sorry. I just had to do this.

gallery_74115_10037_192362.jpg

What am I doing here, you ask? Well, I was looking for an excuse to eat some caramel corn and dry roasted peanuts (seriously, you should try it). I also decided that I just had to color the sides of the tokens. After much experimenting (you can see color tests on the sprue at left) I started working last night. This will be a brobdingnagian task, to be sure.

I got through the genestealer entry arrows, the green space marine Command Point, assault cannon ammo, turn and psi-points counters. I got just one heavy flamer done, and the big space marine turn tracker tile. Also, those 4 little squares with genestealers poking through them were a lot of fun. I managed to get a really close color mix for the rust.

You can't really see much in this picture. I just took it last night to tweet it, but I thought I'd toss it here as well. Anyone else going to do with their set? I know some board game purists frown on this sort of thing, but I can hardly help myself. You know me. After doing the genestealer arrows, I think the effect is awesome and I was sold. The turn counter tile looks pretty dope, as well. If I have time to do more tonight I'll post pics tomorrow.

Can't say I'd even thought about doing it, but the OCD man-child hobbyist who lives in my brain hates you now.

Right? Let your hate be your weapon. Use it to motivate you to further heights of awesomeness (even higher than those Marines Errant. By the way, your battle damage and paint chipping have been a major inspiration to me as I move towards a new scheme for my Eagle Eyes).

There's precious little information on it online. I just found a couple of posts on boardgamegeek.com. I plan to blog about it just because I can't seem to find anything else. Anyone know of good board game resources? I'd like to actually do something to protect the sides of the counters and tiles, and even though I'd heard about using Mod Podge in passing, I can't find any info on doing that either. I was about to pick some up, but the bottle was talking about how it remains tacky even when dry and I can't have that. I've noticed the Command Point counters are already looking a little beat up because I'd been putting them in a cup and shaking them to mix them. sad.png I really want to keep this set is good shape if I can.

Don't forget the doors.whistlingW.gif

Oh, that's just evil...

devil.gif

I can understand why you're doing it Jeff smile.png but it's not something that I'd do myself.

Alright. Got everything but the doors and floor tiles done (which is actually a lot more work than I've done so far...)

First up, the turn counter tile thingy.

gallery_74115_10037_34774.jpg

I just followed the pattern that was already there. I used a lighter gray around the top of the unit, and a darker around the bottom. The areas that look like grips are light gray with some dark gray shading, and then I continued the lines down the sides with dark gray and then a thin streak of black towards the back or bottom. This piece also has a nice variation in the artwork, so around the sides I tried to add some smudged areas by just going over some spots with the same color again, which deepens it a bit.

gallery_74115_10037_1508302.jpg

And the space marine counters themselves. I used two different greens, one on top of the other, to try and match the color and get a nice consistent green all around.

gallery_74115_10037_899949.jpg

The heavy flamer counters were pretty fun. These are my daughter's favorites, so I knew I had to go all out on them. I used a mid-tone orange all around, then continued the darker orange and yellow streaks from the edges. After that was all dry, I added another layer of yellow across the whole thing to brighten in up a bit.

gallery_74115_10037_825435.jpg

You can see the color better in this light/shot. It looks pretty dark when it's sitting on the tile.

gallery_74115_10037_533265.jpg

The ladder tokens were also fun. I just continued the colors down the sides with a golden yellow and the dark gray, then added a little black in the centers of the dark stripes. The natural variation in the cardboard makes them look weathered without any work at all.

gallery_74115_10037_968704.jpg

Genestealer entry points. I ended up testing a bunch of different pinks/purples on these before I settled on three of them to emphasize the subtle gradient on the token. The bottom blends to a bluer tone, where the tips are much lighter and more pink. They look so rich and colorful. :D

gallery_74115_10037_985976.jpg

And another shot. You can see where the mid-tone purple blends into the lighter pinkish bit.

gallery_74115_10037_1010064.jpg

And here's a shot of them in the bag so you can see the effect.

gallery_74115_10037_1106557.jpg

Speaking of blips... I just tossed a layer of the light gray on them as I did for all the overwatch and defense counters. I wanted to see if I could do something with the green and red bits where it goes off the bottom, but they didn't line up perfectly so it would have looked terrible.

gallery_74115_10037_920503.jpg

These 4 tokens started out the same gray, but then I experimented and found a peach color that looked just like the rusty bits. I was able to blend that in to continue rust streaks, and then I added some brown lines to continue the detail on a couple. On a couple, I added some additional shading by adding another layer or two of the light gray, which just deepens it a bit like I mentioned.

gallery_74115_10037_294014.jpg

This token is cool. It's the psyker's barrier, and I wanted to make it look a bit special. I blended some light blue into the middle in a couple layers, and then used the grays in layers to give it a nice smooth blend. It looks pretty cool IRL.

gallery_74115_10037_855984.jpg

Last but not least, the aquila tokens. I used dark gray on the two bottom edges and light on the top.

That's it for now. Lots of work, but they look pretty cool. I'll be doing the doors next and then the floor tiles after that.

To be fair, this is a really subtle effect on most pieces, but in my opinion it adds a level of polish and some of them just look cool. If you just don't want naked cardboard, you could probably do all of them in black and it'd look pretty decent.

Pretty sweet! 

Had any ideas on how to toughen the card up? I was thinking watered down PVA might help the edges from getting frayed/knocked about.

Thanks!

No, man. I can't find anything online. I don't really want to try Mod Podge if it's going to remain tacky. As for PVA, I'd be concerned that it'd warp the tokens, especially around the printed overlay as it would expand/contract at a different rate than the plain paper inside the token. I've also thought about the fact that if it adds much to the width at all, the floor tiles might struggle to go together. It's worth some experimenting, for sure. I can't believe there's nothing out there on the web already about this. Surely, someone's posted it somewhere. I know for a fact that some hardcore board gamers do this sort of thing. 

For now... Don't worry, brother. I'll probably get them after the doors, but I WILL get them. They'll even be your favorite color!

Now I can't decide if you mean black with a shade of black, chainsword stained steel, off-white of a pauldron or the crimson of the blood of the heretic and the witch? Maybe some nice xenos blood color? ph34r.png

I started reading this thread thinking well why even bother doing that, I'm posting at the end to say smashing work!!! :)

Your efforts finish the counters superbly and greatly enhance their appearance.

For now... Don't worry, brother. I'll probably get them after the doors, but I WILL get them. They'll even be your favorite color!

Now I can't decide if you mean black with a shade of black, chainsword stained steel, off-white of a pauldron or the crimson of the blood of the heretic and the witch? Maybe some nice xenos blood color? ph34r.png

Black on black is what I was shooting for. :D

I started reading this thread thinking well why even bother doing that, I'm posting at the end to say smashing work!!! smile.png

Your efforts finish the counters superbly and greatly enhance their appearance.

Thanks! That's great feedback. Yeah. the idea is that most people wouldn't even notice it, most likely. It just looks like it's meant to be that way.

Jeff, when i got my hulk limited ed (didn't get the latest updated version as it hit when i had no cash and didn't have enough extra to push me to go into debt for it, though i have all the old editions other than the campaigns book) i thought of darkening the edges or going for the same general colour.. though i haven't actually got around to assembling all the minis let alone painting them as when i've played that edition it's ended up being on a friends set so it's been in my long-term-project list. But to extend the scheme of the counters over the edges????

Jeff there's a fine line between genius and madness.. and you hit that line with an eraser till there was no discernible trace of it left. Well done, so very very well done.

Pretty sweet! 

Had any ideas on how to toughen the card up? I was thinking watered down PVA might help the edges from getting frayed/knocked about.

Thanks!

No, man. I can't find anything online. I don't really want to try Mod Podge if it's going to remain tacky. As for PVA, I'd be concerned that it'd warp the tokens, especially around the printed overlay as it would expand/contract at a different rate than the plain paper inside the token. I've also thought about the fact that if it adds much to the width at all, the floor tiles might struggle to go together. It's worth some experimenting, for sure. I can't believe there's nothing out there on the web already about this. Surely, someone's posted it somewhere. I know for a fact that some hardcore board gamers do this sort of thing. 

Not looking hard enough Jeff :p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96PzxSNv_64

Basically, super glue with a brush will do the trick.

Toxic! You're my hero! It looks like it darkens it a fair bit as it's always "wet" looking, but that's exactly what I was shooting for. Why it never occurred to me to use plain old CA glue is beyond me, but some tests are absolutely in order.

Jeff, when i got my hulk limited ed (didn't get the latest updated version as it hit when i had no cash and didn't have enough extra to push me to go into debt for it, though i have all the old editions other than the campaigns book) i thought of darkening the edges or going for the same general colour.. though i haven't actually got around to assembling all the minis let alone painting them as when i've played that edition it's ended up being on a friends set so it's been in my long-term-project list. But to extend the scheme of the counters over the edges????

Jeff there's a fine line between genius and madness.. and you hit that line with an eraser till there was no discernible trace of it left. Well done, so very very well done.

Awwwww. Thanks, Batty. I appreciate that.

I've been slowly but surely knocking through all the floor tiles and the remaining doors and counters. Here's where I'm at now.

gallery_74115_10037_1065962.jpg

This picture is super boring. I know it. Now imagine all the floors look like that. Great! Now I can spare having to post any more pictures of the floor until I'm done. You cool with that? Let's move on.

I decided to revisit the genestealer blips. I just thought there had to be a way to make them work. I opted to not worry about the red side so much, since you only see it momentarily when they're revealed.

gallery_74115_10037_1784235.jpg

gallery_74115_10037_564708.jpg

As you can see, I've added a subtle green glow to the bottom part, and again continued the design off the edge of the token.

Now for the really fun part:

gallery_74115_10037_594232.jpg

I loved these new boarding torpedo tiles (or borpedoes, as my fiancé insists on calling them) since I first unboxed this beauty. I would love to see them in 3D. One of the coolest bits are the boarding ramp tiles, which lay over the board and look like a little Ceaestus assault ram ramp. Looking them over, I was super jazzed to see the cool little broken bits of masonry and metal and stuff. So I went crazy with them:

gallery_74115_10037_1194380.jpg

gallery_74115_10037_869275.jpg

gallery_74115_10037_395374.jpg

gallery_74115_10037_766742.jpg

So much fun to do. Tons of layers and blending going on here. Plus, both tiles have different wreckage. Gawd, this is such a beautiful game.

I just have some more floor tiles, finishing up the doors, etc. to do. Then, at some point, I need to paint... Ugh.

Wow, just wow. Very impressive amount of work you've done and it looks great too! I'm going to be going for a full 3D effect for my Space Hulk game. I need to get finances in order before I dive into it, but it should be pretty good. Keep up the good work man.

StevePhy

Wow, just wow. Very impressive amount of work you've done and it looks great too! I'm going to be going for a full 3D effect for my Space Hulk game. I need to get finances in order before I dive into it, but it should be pretty good. Keep up the good work man.

StevePhy

Thanks!

It's very tempting, 3D. I heard some companies make tiles, but I think I'd rather do them myself. That's a heck of a project, and if you do it, I'll follow eagerly. 

Archived