DA Alpha Strike

Frater Cornelius

Hey guys, I'm a Space Wolf...

*sees angry Dark Angel Marines running his way - grabs his axe and beer mug*

WHO WANTS SOME?!! *charges*

Erm, anyway. So I always wanted to start up a small DA force as my second army, mainly Deathwing. I enjoy Terminators and I like the DA aesthetics, especially the Knights. It also isn't a very high model count army so it won't crash the bank either.

I want to capitalize on the DWA rule and build an alpha strike force. Do you guys think I should be going pure DW or mix in some drop pods to bring some special and/or combi weapons down turn 1 to support it (Veterans for instance)?

I am aiming for 1.5k at first and I may upgrade to 1850 if it does not bloat the model count too much.

Thanks for any input and here, have some Ale msn-wink.gif

If you want to capitalise on Alpha strike you should definately add some vets in pods. DW are good for anti light infantry alpha strikes, but they struggle against heavy armored infantry and tanks. With vets you can drop in with 3 or 4 meltas /plasma and deal some heavy damage.

A trick I am fond of is to use an assault squad with dual flamer, combi flamer in a droppod. This comes in at 105 points I believe. If you ad a techmarine with servo harness and combi melta you have the following opties:

1. 4 flamers on 1 target.

2. 3 flamers on 1 target and 1 flamer on another target (detach techmarine after landing)

3. 3 flamers on 1 target and 1 combimelta and plasma cutter on another target (detach techmarine after landing)

Another options:

deathwing assault with a librarian attached. Give librarian a combi melta, meaning that the combi melta is twin linked on the turn that you arrive. With splitfire you fire your missiles/assault cannon in 1 target and melta something else.

It is hard to reason against PA Marines in pods. They have their function and they do it well. However, a pure TDA army just looks so much more awesome.

To be honest, I am not a big fan of regular PA Marines anymore. My SW army is a pure Cavalry and Beast army. Seems fitting to go to the same extreme with DA and do pure TDA.

It also feels right next to my Wolves. They come down as lightning and obliterate everything in a thunderstorm.

This is by no means meant to be competitive. That is what I use my Wolves for. Maybe, if I find a nice niche for them I might take a stab at something more serious but for now I am aiming for semi-competitive at best but most of all to have fun and satisfy my needs to robed terminators and another low model-count army :D

A trick I am fond of is to use an assault squad with dual flamer, combi flamer in a droppod. This comes in at 105 points I believe. If you ad a techmarine with servo harness and combi melta you have the following opties:

1. 4 flamers on 1 target.

2. 3 flamers on 1 target and 1 flamer on another target (detach techmarine after landing)

3. 3 flamers on 1 target and 1 combimelta and plasma cutter on another target (detach techmarine after landing)

Does a DWA army need that sort of unit though, as I would have thought the Deathwing should be able to sort out anything that the flamers would be able to deal with.

Does a DWA army need that sort of unit though, as I would have thought the Deathwing should be able to sort out anything that the flamers would be able to deal with.

Try dropping 30 terminators on turn one!  Belial + 10 terminators (with two heavy flamers) for some carnage.  Drop it beside the greatest enemy threat.

Try dropping 30 terminators on turn one!  Belial + 10 terminators (with two heavy flamers) for some carnage.  Drop it beside the greatest enemy threat

But I generally do not play 3000 point games,   And to drop 30 termies on turn one means that I have at least 2 units in reserve for later...  

Try dropping 30 terminators on turn one!  Belial + 10 terminators (with two heavy flamers) for some carnage.  Drop it beside the greatest enemy threat.

Wouldn't it be better to drop on turn two as a canny opponent could reserve their army for 1st turn and you would drop and waste the Deathwing's greatest trick?

But I generally do not play 3000 point games,   And to drop 30 termies on turn one means that I have at least 2 units in reserve for later...  

You can fit in 30 Deathwing and Belial for just over 1500 points. Not sure how effective/competitive it would be but it does sound fun ;)

But I generally do not play 3000 point games, And to drop 30 termies on turn one means that I have at least 2 units in reserve for later...

You can fit in 30 Deathwing and Belial for just over 1500 points. Not sure how effective/competitive it would be but it does sound fun msn-wink.gif

DWA still states you must leave half of your squads (rounding up) in regular reserves doesnt it? That means that you have at least two more squads around 240 points sitting stuck in reserves. Admittedly I havent kept up with the new DWA in this book because I've been playing Bikes since 6th came out.

DWA still states you must leave half of your squads (rounding up) in regular reserves doesnt it?  That means that you have at least two more squads around 240 points sitting stuck in reserves.  Admittedly I havent kept up with the new DWA in this book because I've been playing Bikes since 6th came out.

I was looking at it last night and sure you can have the whole load of them coming in but I'm getting back into 40K so most likely wrong! :D

Okay, if you want to go 'pure' Deathwing as a theme, then another option might be a podding dreadnought (or two) to support your terminators. The terminators concentrate on mopping up infantry and the dreads on hurting armour (assuming appropriate weaponry). This is doubly true if you go for Contemptors, which, in a Chapter like the DA, fit the theme you have set too.

Wouldn't it be better to drop on turn two as a canny opponent could reserve their army for 1st turn and you would drop and waste the Deathwing's greatest trick?

You still need to have something on the table at the end of your turn or else you will lose.

DWA still states you must leave half of your squads (rounding up) in regular reserves doesnt it?  That means that you have at least two more squads around 240 points sitting stuck in reserves.  Admittedly I havent kept up with the new DWA in this book because I've been playing Bikes since 6th came out.

That was in 6th edition.  There is no such restriction anymore.  You can put all your army in reserves if you wish.  You can do that if you have drop pod assault or, in our case, Deathwing assault rules.

You still need to have something on the table at the end of your turn or else you will lose.

Good spot. Just had a read through my rulebook and found that! So any suggestions for what to have on the board? I was thinking a Thunderfire Cannon but Dark Angels can't have them, so was then thinking some Vindicators as they are cheap and tough.

Archived