[Commission] Chaos Terminators for Space Hulk

Sigur

Hey guys, I'm working on a new Chaos project. It's not a huge thing, for now it's just ten terminators and a Lord but it's not unlikely that there'll be more in the future. These are terminators for playing Space Hulk (hence the smaller bases).

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/SigurSquirrel/wip1-8.jpg

These are two WIP test miniatures for the models in question. I was tempted to do the weathered bronze this way because it's an easy way to get some contrasting colour onto red CSM. I also recently got me a bottle of GW's "technical" Nihilakh Oxide I wanted to give a try. I don't know, it's probably just because I'm used to doing this effect differently but from first try-outs I thought that the stuff is toss. :D There really is absolutely no merit in getting this stuff if you've got a remote idea of making the stuff yourself (turquoise mixed with varnish/water/wash/...).

Anyway, doing some funky stuff on these terminators. What do you think of the colour scheme? The customer said he fully trusted me with coming up with some colour scheme for them. Over on Tale of Painters I recently did an article on the Terminators I painted in recent years and noticed I almost exclusively painted red terminators. Why the heck did I go red again on these guys? Well, I want to do the Genestealers in the traditional colours so red and gold contrasts them nicely. Only whilst looking through colour schemes and talking to people I realized that the colour scheme I had in mind was very, very similar to what the Crimson Slaughter dudes look like. Maybe I had the look of them in the back of my mind.

What do you think of the look of the dudes? They're not fully and all finished but that's about the look I'm going for.

Cheers. Yeah, I got the models built and primed and glued to bases (all mould lines were there too, hooray ;) ) so I had to rip them off to make the space hulky style bases. I'll take pictures of them tomorrow. They're really basic stuff (no pun intended).

Yay... didn't know you posted on here until I saw this... I have been admiring your handiwork on dakkadakka for a long time now :)

These Chaos terminators do look cool, and my first thought when I saw them was Crimson Slaughter :D

If you went with a gun meal colour on the metal surfaces it would be more liek a word bearers scheme? Either would be good fo Space Hulk considering the relic in one of the missions :)

May I ask though, the autocannon terminator, you have OSL above the lens and on to the plate? I always thought the OSL wouldnt go beyond th edge of the eye plate (?) as the light would have to curve up and back... Am I putting too much thought into the physics of it?

Saying that it does look cool!!

@dantay_xv: Hullo. :) Sure, I remember your name from Dakka. Yeah, I do post here if I've got Mareenz to do. Posting other things on here opens the gates of the netherworlds or something like that. Can't quite remember the exact forums rulings on this one. :D I was considering doing Word Bearers but I wasn't sure if the mahoossive amounts of mutations on these guys would fit them. Also - I couldn't have gotten that patina effect I wanted to go for. About the OSL you're right. I was thinking the same thing last night when I painted it but came to the conclusion that it looks better if the light comes up over the edges. Technically the eyes "bugle" a little beyond that edge so maybe it COULD work in real life but really, it's just because I thought it looks better.

Here's a picture of the rest of the bases:

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy40/SigurSquirrel/bases.jpg

As you can see, very simple and straightforward. I was thinking of making a mould of these so I can recast them at any point (as I do with some of the bases I do) but time is tight (as it always is) and I can make these again relatively quickly lateron and then make proper resin copies.

Excellent stuff. If there are two things in this galaxy I love, it's chaos and terminators. This is good inspiration to finish off my own winged / possessed termies and increase their squad from 3 to 7.

Once again, great job. I'd be keen to see individual shots of the leader, relics, dead space marine and librarian

@jpwyrm: Thanks. Today there's a better look at the winged one. I think he works rather well but I'm eager to hear your opinion!

@disease: Glad this project ticks all the right boxes with you. :D Individual pictures of the leader you can have but there won't be an dead Marines or relics I'm afraid. These are all regular Chaos terminators plus possessed parts and the customer plays 2nd edition Space Hulk. :) There will be some genestealers from the 2009 set though!

Alright, there's a new update in town. Still WIP but getting there.

http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/chaos-space-marines/wip4.jpg

http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/chaos-space-marines/wip5.jpg

A-Hah! I laugh in the face of GW's pretention to declare anything in wargaming "legal" or "illegal"! Because I'm The Man's nonconformist nightmare!

Well, no, not really.  :p These models are for Space Hulk, the customer plays 2nd edition if I remember correctly. 40mm bases are too large for the spaces on the board tiles. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the guys are finally finished!

Finished Space Hulk Chaos Space Marines Terminators:
http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/chaos-space-marines/fertig1schrift1.jpg

http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/chaos-space-marines/fertig2schrift1.jpg

http://sigur.tabletopgeeks.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/18/gallery/chaos-space-marines/fertig3schrift1.jpg

Hope you like them!

Well, no, not really. tongue.png These models are for Space Hulk, the customer plays 2nd edition if I remember correctly. 40mm bases are too large for the spaces on the board tiles. smile.png

Probably 3rd. 2nd Edition was pretty simplified and didn't have Assault Cannons or Thunder Hammers or Lightning Claws.

Excellent work either way. Very cool looking. Though I wonder if those wings will be a pain trying to position that model on the board, lol.

I went "screw it" and put my Space Hulk termies on 40mm bases so I can use them in 40k as well. They'll have to overlap when I play Space Hulk, but it's worth it to get double duty out of my purchase. The real adventure was making bases to get double duty out of the genestealers! I had to cut down bike bases.

Excellent Terminators. I particularly like the bluish glow on various parts of the miniatures. How did you do it

Good idea, but not worth the hassle.

You are probably right in this case, There probably is not much overlap in the first place. But generally with a good drill magnetizing is no hassle at all. I find removing mould lines much more tedious.

Excellent Terminators. I particularly like the bluish glow on various parts of the miniatures. How did you do it

Good idea, but not worth the hassle.

You are probably right in this case, There probably is not much overlap in the first place. But generally with a good drill magnetizing is no hassle at all. I find removing mould lines much more tedious.

Two things stop me from magnetizing every possible thing:

1. Swiveling. I hate it when I'm placing my model and suddenly his gun or something swivels around. It takes me out of the game to have to fix it. The only way to fix this is to add a second magnet or a pin, and now all of a sudden you're trying to line up two things properly on the model, and that's always been a headache for me.
  2. Falling off. I've yet to find a magnet strong enough that things will only ever come off when I want them to.

As a result, I don't magnetize much anymore. I never bother magnetizing my infantry weapon options. I'll still magnetize vehicles, but only if I can't buy a couple of extra bits on eBay and make a friction fit - for example, that's how I made my two Baals have swappable turrets... though case-in-point, I magnetized the sponsons, because that was the best way to get them to hang on. But I didn't make the sponson so it would come apart and reform with a different weapon - I just bought an extra sponson and added magnets!

So, when I think about a model magnetized to his base, I think about the base spinning around under him, or getting caught on terrain and falling off and knocking my opponent's models over, and... urgh. Not worth the hassle. If you can make it work, more power to you, but I'll stick with magnetizing things that are easier and/or bigger. That said, I'm playing my first ever actual game of Space Hulk in three hours, so who knows? Maybe I'll eat my words, rip all the bases off, and get magnetizing this evening.

I wanted to add that the models on this thread are gorgeous. I got sidetracked, but that's what originally led me to comment on this thread. Great work!

Archived