500 pt Escalation League vs Tau

bjoluemblem

I've been a part of an escalation league for a few weeks now, 10-12 people, and it's Tau, myself with space marines of whatever variety, a CSM, a wolves player, and an IG player. At 500 points, there are no transports, and only HQ and Troops. I'm currently working on some varied missions (BAO maelstrom, etc.) because Tau will always win an infantry vs infantry battle, except against the IG guy. Any help on tactics/units to use against Tau gunlines would be appreciated. In 2 weeks, it will kick up to 750, with transports less than 33 armor value allowed. The best I came up with was jump Blood Angels with a ML2 Librarian, hoping to roll invisibility or terrify to make the communist scum flee in terror. It's worked once in seven games. Once things hit 1000 points, I can use drop pod marines, and things will be even again. In the meantime, with the sheer amount of fire warriors and crisis suits on the table, pretty much everyone gets tabled one way or the other. Anybody have ideas on how to combat this? I'm willing to hear anyone out, whether on units/codex (with the exception that I will always be playing marines) or mission choice. Thanks in advance!

That's...quite excellent actually. And yes, only HQ and Troops for 500-750 points level. No flyers, no 2+ saves at 500 points, no LoW til 1500 (copied from a set of rules for 6th ed that the FLGS owner found online. It's ok.) What I went with was this:

Libby, jump pack, ML2

Assault squad x8, power sword, flamer

Assault squad x8, power sword, flamer

I'm trying (as a "director" of said league) to find a way to even it out for the rest of the guys. The Tau are just running away with it, and it might very well chase off some of the players who can't take some hits for a while. So, it needs a way to be toned down a notch, or have some new tactics/missions to allow everybody else to have a chance to win as well.

Tau are strong in that format perhaps move your next phase into a city fight? That will provide them a more challenging game due to the poor los and will mitigate ranged armies.

Basically make gun lines have to work harder. Alternately rehash the old Jungle fighting rule from codes catachans from 3rd edition!

You have two real options.  First is add a ton of terrain so that the tau player actually has to move his models.  Your second option is to scrap all those restrictions.  They are unfair to any army that actually needs to move around to be useful.

Archived