WHO AM I? Help with my converted Chapter Master

So, after a couple of decades in the hobby I decided to go for a SM army, bought lots and lots of stuff ('bout 500 squids worth) and guessed I'd be able to decide a Chapter while it was all in transit.

Except it didn't work... So I decided to settle down and build the first model for my army, a Chapter Master. Surely, after quite an intensive conversion, I would have some idea.

Except it only kind of worked. I do have some idea in my head of who this guy leads to war. A pretty specific idea actually, but I'm open to ideas and you guys are like, the Astartes Gurus of t'old t'interwebs.

Here's the Mini, my Warrior King:

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/the_antipope/Mobile%20Uploads/image-19.jpg

THE QUESTION IS: What do YOU see? I'm a pretty good painter, I got a load of new Vallejo waiting to go and this guy as he stands is essentially a blank canvas.

Obviously there are some things he is NOT. He's clearly not a Space Wolf or a White Scar, he's probably not a Blood Angel (baldy ugly man) and doesn't have much of a Dark Angel feel to him either. But beyond that there are many possibilities.

I'll add that this is NOT a poll, NOT a competition. I just wondered if anybody had any ideas that might inspire me more than the idea I already have and I'm genuinely interested in your opinions and advice.

Who you YOU think he is and WHY?

Anyone interested in the conversion it was pretty simple, though obviously it's finecast so it was covered in bubbles and crap and took a massive amount of work to smooth over, with the advantage that the bits were quite easy to cut up.

- Chapter Master with Powerfist and Powersword body

- Chapter Master head

- Hands and Hammer Handle (originally a staff or walking stick thing) from... One of the new SM Captains that came out last year... The Master of Rites maybe (I dunno, you guys should recognise the parts I guess.

- Hammer Head from Vanguard kit

- Ork Skull from Scout Sniper kit

- Backpack from LE SM Captain (The first, crappier one, acquired one for bits)

Base is made from cork, thin sheets of Plaster of Paris and a bit of model railway fence, with a load of gravel and sand chucked on here and there.

Looking forward to your ideas Space Ma-Chums.

Gah, I should have left the skull off for the pics! DOH...

I was definately going for nobility in the pose so thank you for assuring me that that came off OK.

Crimson Fists... Interesting. Haha.

I think I'll leave this up till the weekend to gather fruit and then paint it with updates in this thread.

I echo the wise words above - my first thought looking at him would be Crimson Fists, especially with their history of facing orcs.

Obviously they already have a Chapter Master though so I guess it depends of if you're happy to make him but a Captain or look for a Fists successor chapter.

My second thought, stemming again from fighting orcs (Armageddon) was Black Templars. He could be a Marshall of your own crusade, (thus keeping him as a chapter master) a warrior king like you described would fit this theme and he looks the part. Has the Templar cross (well similar to it) on his belt anyway.

Lovely model by the way :)

Dark Apostle, thank you for the kind words. My mind was drifting along CF land after the first suggestion... But then you burst the bubble by mentioning Kantor... Bah.

I'm afraid I'm not into the templars at all, I wanted to keep him quite bland and of course, a Templar should have a whopping big sword...

Togusa-san, more than 20 years and that's a new one on me, I'll take a look. *looks on Lexicanum* Chapter has no picture on Lexicanum *uses Google* nothing clear...

I'd love to be enlightened with a picture and I'd also like to ask you what specifically brought the Sons of Antaeus to mind. 

Keep it coming guys and thank you very much. New time poster and all that stuff and you're being nice and friendly.

Maybe it could be a chapter of your own devising? You could certainly create a chapter based off the idea of the primal warrior spirit being one of the core aspects of the chapter. I could see a chapter inspired by the likes of the Zulu or Maori working quite well with the idea of the chapter master being your warrior king.

The correct answer is: A scheme you'll enjoy painting to half company at the very least. 

Selfishly, I'd go for Celestial Guard, just because I'd like to see someone's take on them, but I'd suggest browsing through wikis and eyeing up schemes/background for a bit longer. Something will grab you.

Basswave, Howling Griffons could look absolutely magnificent here... Loving that. Thank you.

Arctic Paladin, I was kicking around the idea of doing my own chapter but I didn't think Maori... till now! Again, that's fantastic and would be a nice move away from the Greek/Roman thing... Certainly something to consider.

Edit - In fact, I can really see Maori tattoos going nicely onto his baldy head... Good call, possibly. biggrin.png

oldschoolsoviet, Celestial Guard I'm not familiar with but I'll take a loo- ah, once more Lexicanum disappoints. I tried the wiki walk and so on but my mind has been blank these past few weeks. Painters block...

Raynor, are Mortifactors grey? Name rings a bell... NO! They are the death obsessed bone and black UM successor... Nice! Have to say also, Celebrants have a SEXY scheme! love the fade through yellow to red...

Again, thanks alot!

Should mention everyone, don't get too hung up on the Warrior King part. I more meant that every Chapter Master is a Warrior King, owning things like there own worlds and fortresses as well as of course, being in command of a freaking 1000 genetically engineered super guys in concrete armour.

DOES ANYONE THINK HE NEEDS A BACK BANNER INSTEAD OF THE HALO?

It occured to me his shoulderpads are quite busy and it's a gonna be difficult to display the Chapter Badge which any Chapter Master surely would have about his person somewhere...

Ricky, oldschoolsoviet may have meant Celestial Lions, scheme gold and blue. They're definitely in Lexicanum, and might be a cool chapter to represent. 

Personally all I can see is Vladimir Pugh of the Imperial Fists or possibly a Salamander 

arcticpaladin, Thanks. Loving the B&C. You guys are very welcoming.

Mr.Bleak, Now the Lions could be interesting from a number of perspectives... I'm going with NMM for this so all that shiny gold. Plus they were the guys who had a sergeant promoted to Chapter Master cause the Imperium itself handed their ass to them... Apparently there are only 96 of them so I could concievably do the whole Chapter... biggrin.png

Pugh did come to mind at the start of the process, but I'm not sure he looks grand enough... I'm gonna mess around with blu tac and bits tomorrow and come up with some alternate pics... Salamander I also thought about but again, we are straying into the realms of the big 12 which I would like to avoid if I can...

oldschoolsoviet, LOVING the regal purple and cream robes. But what's the Chapter icon? Edit...oh... crossed axes. That's easy. OK. Good.

Wow, after weeks of blankness my mind is filling with ideas. YOUR ideas! Second hand thinking. I love it.

The heavy armor and the hammer lead to something close to Imperial Fists or Salamanders. I'd avoid the big ones also, because chapter masters are known and the schemes reproduced over and over.

I'd lean towards IF successors (Salamis have none),with an interesting painting scheme : Celestial lions would be in a good spot for me, or Hammers of Dorn.

IMHO :)

I have to concur with my esteemed brethren above. "Crimson Fist" was my first thought when I saw him. Having said that, I'll bring up a point I'm surprised hasn't arisen yet. I'm assuming you're using the Marine codex for your army. Are you planning on gaming win this army? If so, which chapter tactics you want to use will have an impact on the choice of colour scheme. Like feel no pain, and tough vehicles? An Iron Hands successor is probably the way to go.

That said, you can choose to play, say Ultramarine tactics with a Raven Guard army. Fluff buffs may not like it, but it's your army, so you know if you think the compromise is worth it.

If we're just suggesting chapters, I'll put my vote in for Sons of Orar. I think he'd look pretty in red. That or Lamentors. I think the nobility of the pose, combined with the tragedy of the chapter at large gives a nice juxtaposition and an interesting feel to the army.

Good luck choosing.

Dallo

If a decision has not yet been made I'd like to throw my suggestions into the mix, I have four candidate chapters and two votes of backing for previous suggestions, the Celebrants and the Celestial Lions

My candidates are as follows:

The Mentors/Mentor Legion - An old chapter I believe date back to 40k's early days, but never really got much love despite their cool colour scheme and novel concept, I always enjoy it when I see them getting some much-deserved attention.

The Hammers of Dorn - Uber hardcore Dorn-sons obsessed with beating the Ultramarines at their own game? There's a delicious irony to be found here, plus they have a striking look and a love of big, hefty blunt weapons like mauls and hammers, so that fits well with the model already.

The Excoriators - Dour sons of Dorn who value resilience over all else and leave their armour dented and scarred to deliberately show off the fact they've survived worse things then you sorry scum. They're also part of the 20 chapters that guard the Eye of Terror's borders and have a nice ivory white colour scheme with a sweet chapter badge.

The Libators - Their colours and symbology are unusual for a Ultramarines successor, not much is known about them but I like them for some reason.

Archived