Red Scorpions-getting started

Garrosh

It's been a good long while since I posted anything here. I haven't painted up any space marines til now, been spending a lot of my time painting Fallschirmjager for Bolt Action. Anyway, wanted to start a new space marine army and decided to go with Red Scorpions. This is the first batch I've painted up. It's a tac squad with the veteran sergeant upgraded to an apothecary. The squad is carrying a flamer and a plasma cannon. C&C welcome of course, but like I said it's been a while. Be gentle. biggrin.png

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii590/patyar72/Warhammer%2040k/scorpions_zps33214d47.jpg

http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii590/patyar72/Warhammer%2040k/scorpions2_zps1c8619e4.jpg

The marines themselves look nice, but I have to say that the bolters aren't doing it for me. They look unfinished. I can't tell if it's just the pictures but they look pure black with a blue grip. I'd recommend using a lighter colour on the skulls and such like because currently there is nothing to catch the eye, so it just comes a dark mass. Either a lighter colour, or light coloured highlights over the darker colours would ,IMO, greatly inhance the bolters.

I give you kudus for the blue bolter grips though. I've never seen that done before.

Hope this helps

Keep up the good work

Dallo

They do look just plain black in this picture. I blame the camera on my phone. It's what I'm working with.  They look better in person. everybody says that, but it's true I promise. They're actually painted vallejo bronze. The magazine and barrels are bolt gunmetal.  I agree with you that they look bad in the picture. I may paint the next batch a different color. Maybe P3 brass balls. That's a nice bright color without looking too much like gold. I can't lie though, when it comes to bolters I often don't throw a lot of detail into them. I know that's bad, but old habits and all. Thanks for the feedback. It's much appreciated.

Archived