Best way to kit out a Javelin

ChainMachete

I'm thinking of getting a couple of Javelin Attack Speeders in my next purchase. It's a shame they are not sold as a single model with all weapon options, so I could just magnetise them, but the're not. So I need to choose between twin-linked Lascannons or Missile Launchers. There's also no mention about which secondary weapons are included in the kit. The pictures all just show the heavy bolter, but is a multimelta and heavy flamer included?

So assuming I want two, what's the best option?

• A lascannon speeder & missile speeder.
  • Two lascannon speeders.
  • Two missile speeders.

I'm thinking a multmelta would pair with the lascannon speeder quite well and a heavy bolter for the missile speeder, but happy to be proved wrong at this stage.

I assume I can break the squadron up like you can with Land Raiders & Predators, but still just use a single force org slot? If I get one of each, I probably don't want them shooting at the same target.

Cheers.

My skills with fast and fragile things are somewhat lacking, but I think there are a few points you can work from:

1. If it's fragile, keep it cheap and expect it to die

2. In the current meta (and with the current vehicle damage table), more shots generally beats out an extra point of str or ap.

3. Multimeltas are of questionable utility in 30k due to armored ceramite.

Given these, I think the CML Javelin is best, and it looks alright even without any upgrades.  If you did put any upgrades on it, I would do either 2x HK Missiles (they get really cheap HK missiles) or the MM upgrade on the HB.  Same price either way, but I think it will boil down to "do I think I will get more than two turns of shooting with the Javelin?"  If you think you'll get 3 turns of shooting, then the MM is obviously better cause it doesn't run out.  If you think you may only get 2 turns... well, you should think about whether you value the range of the HK missiles more (and the 4 krak missile alpha strike the Javelin can then unleash) or the extra AP and potential to find something that doesn't have ceramite while you're sporting the multimelta.  I'd be wary of spending anything more than that, because I think the Javelin is overpriced in the first place.

I'm surprised Kitwulfen, I don't feel it's over priced at all. For a solid 95 points, you get a twin linked lascannon, a heavy bolter, and two HK missiles on a platform that deep strikes, outflanks, and if you are alpha legion, infiltrates. I'm not saying I'd get three or anything, but it seems a good value for targeting those ~200 point tanks in their side armor (I'm looking at you sicarans and venators). I'd propose using it a lot like a less effective primaris lightning - for quickly alpha'ing something down worth more in points than itself.

I certainly agree in the usage - the Javelin seems like a unit that wants to alpha strike something like a Sicaran or Predator off the field (or even a heavy support squad, lacking any vehicular targets).  However, take a look at these numbers:

Now, TLLC & TL-CML vs AV11 @ BS4

TLLC: 0.888 hits, 0.74 glance+ (0.098 explodes)

TL-CML: 1.777 hits, 1.184 glance+ (0.0 explodes)

And, TLLC & TL-CML vs AV12 @ BS4

TLLC: 0.888 hits, 0.592 glance+ (0.074 explodes)

TL-CML: 1.777 hits, 0.888 glance+ (0.0 explodes)

We can tell that the TL-CML is going to be better than the TLLC in all of these anti-side-armor sort of jobs.  It will even still be better at hitting AV13, though not by much.  So, the idea of putting the lascannon on it is right out, you'd be paying points to kill less stuff.  Now, the missiles:

Two HK missiles @ BS4

vs AV11: 1.333 hits, 0.888 glance+ (0.0 explodes)

vs AV12: 1.333 hits, 0.666 glance+ (0.0 explodes)

On average, these are not enough to alpha strike a Sicaran or Predator off the field.  You'll need two Javelins to do it in one go, at which point you are spending more points on your Javelins than your opponent did on the thing you're trying to kill.  One Javelin could do it over two turns, but it is so fragile that I do not think you are guaranteed that second turn.

I'd really be happier with the unit if it was just 10 points cheaper or something.  It's not as dreadfully overcosted as Assault Marines or anything, but it's still kinda pricey for something so fragile.  It's enough that I'd be really concerned about how much I spend on upgrades for it and whether I can get my points worth out of those upgrades before it dies.

I've purchased 2 Javelin with Lascannons, and 2 Hunter Killer Missiles. I will purchase a third Javelin in the future for larger games, with Cyclone Missile launchers, Multi-Melta and 2 Hunter Killer Missiles.

I think it gives good versatility.

How dare you bring facts to an emotional conversation? :)

That said... hmmm... It's interesting. I guess it's probably a good thing it can't kill something worth more than itself in one go. I agree that you simply can't bank on that things ability to live for more than one turn of combat.

I'm thinking that in an environment where Sicarian Battle Tanks exist, the best way to use Javelins is as Outflankers to go for side armor. Naturally the TL Cyclone is better then the TL lascannons simply by virtue of having more shots for less points (if anything it should be +10 points for Cyclone with Free Lascannons imho). Given this sort of build, some way of enhancing the reliability of reserve rolls is ideal since the longer your units spend off the board the more chances your opponent has to use his greater numbers (in points) to overwhelm you.

Emperor's Children using Maru Skara is perhaps the most reliable way since they are guarenteed to arrive exactly when you want them to, but a Land Raider with the Array works well too if you can afford it (and if you can't, an Aegis with a Comms is good).

Archived