Help planning next step of my army/collection

crimsonsphinx

Hi Everyone,

Second post ever on here, so be kind! smile.png

I am in a position to throw a few hundred pounds into my dark angel army and I am looking at what I need to do to improve what I have to make my army playable. I was in 5th edition using my dark angels from the standard marine codex (heresy I know) and in 6th edition I boxed it up, as I didn't have the money to update my collection to make it competitive.

I currently own the following;

Azrael

2x pa librarians

1x ta librarian

1x pa chaplain

1x pa company master

1x ta company master

1x bike librarian

4x tactical squads

2x scout squads

1 Dev squad, with a huge selection of spare heavy weapons.

10 th/ss terminators

1x dark vengeance terminator squad

8 bikers (3 plasma, 2sgts)

2x mm/hf speeders (I think they need a weapon swap)

2x hb/typhoon speeders

1 mm attack bike

2 LRC

1 LRR

1 TL Lascannon Razorback

1 Las/plas Razorback

2 Rhinos

10 vets with an assortment of weapons

1 dread with assault cannon/powerfist

There may be others I have forgotten.

As you will notice I have pretty much none of the unique dark angel things. I am looking at adding the following. 3x deathwing terminators boxes (to make a command, deathwing knights, spare terminators and a plastic belial) 2x black knight boxes to make a ravenwing command squad/black knight unit, another box of vets and a marine command sqaud so I can make a robed pa command squad. Beyond that, I am concious I lack much anti tank or anti horde weapons in my collection. Most of my special and heavy weapons are plasma.

Any thoughts?

The one thing I will still lack is proper anti tank.  I have very limited amounts of lascannon and multi melta and almost no meltaguns.  I do have copious amounts of MLs, but as they are only ap3 their anti tank ability is somewhat limited in 7th.

I have been looking and my choices appear to be thus;

Rip off the heavy flamers on my speeders and go double multi melta.

Buy multiple predators or vindicators

Buy some dreads with long range guns.

Thoughts?

I second the call for Black Knights. You won't regret it. They are a really nasty unit and everytime I field them I get some sort of groan of despair out of my opponent. Might be worth investing in some magnets and magnetizing the grenade launcher, those -1T grenades can be used to great effect. 

Personally, my choice of anti tank is usually a Ravenwing Attack Squad, two melta guns, maybe a combi melta on the Sarg, a MM Attack Bike, perhaps even a Typhoon Landspeeder. Basically one of the Dark Angels box sets.

Oh, and how about a Mortis Dread? Two twin linked las cannons can be pretty anti tanky.

I thought the ravenwing attack squad treated the attack bike as a separate unit to the bikes though?  Same with the speeder?  Thats how I read it anyway.  It makes the attack bike virtually useless a it will be the victim of first blood.

I may well remove a couple of the plasma guns from my bikes and replace with melta, as I have just paint stripped them this week.  So I can replace weapons before painting. 

I haven't got the rules for Mortis dreads yet, getting the Adeptus Astartes forge world book with them in next month for my birthday.  I would consider it though for the anti air ability too. 

Melta. Melta. Melta. Rip the plasma off of the bike squad you have and replace with melta. You have your BKs for plasma death now. Add another MM attack bike and run both of them next to each other for some redundancy and your opponents have to waste two units worth of shooting to get them both. MM on speeders work. Stay away from las that isn't TL except Godhammer LRs, LRCs work much better and have a MM. (Sensing a trend?)

Melta. Melta. Melta. Rip the plasma off of the bike squad you have and replace with melta. You have your BKs for plasma death now. Add another MM attack bike and run both of them next to each other for some redundancy and your opponents have to waste two units worth of shooting to get them both. MM on speeders work. Stay away from las that isn't TL except Godhammer LRs, LRCs work much better and have a MM. (Sensing a trend?)

I disagree, 2x Mortis Dreads with 2 twinlinked lascannons will tear appart anything and are my favorite anti tank/flyer unit. If you want to make em even tougher put them in cover (on top of a building preferebly), throw a Techmarine with PFG,servitors behind them and bolster defenses. This dudes will survive an exterminatus if they have to.

Regarding the OP post, I myself currently expending my Dark Angels collection

I got 25 Terminators and a single LR (with all options magnetised to so I can swap out for whatever version I want). However you got 3! Land Raiders mate, get your self more Terminators for that umpf when you run pure/mechanised Deathwing,

I am planning to get 3 Rhino Chassis and get the parts to make them into Vindicator/Whirlwind/Predator. Magnetize all of them and swap out for whatever I need so instead of having 9 models I have only 3, also saves a lot of money :). just a suggestion here

Thanks for all the responses so far.  I have placed an order for the following today;

3x deathwing terminator boxes

1x normal terminator box

2x black knights boxes

1x landspeeder vengeance (to build as dark shroud)

2x veteren boxes

1x command squad box

1x combi weapons from forge world (gives me five of each combi)

Ill be getting the forge world book for marines next month when I am at warhammer world.  I will look at mortis dreads after I get the book.

Ill explain the thoughts behind what I bought.

1 box of terminators to make as deathwing knights.

1 box to make a command squad. 

1 box to make a plastic librarian and a belial with all the options, along with 3 spare terminators

1 normal terminator box to flesh out my existing units.  I think I want a power sword/storm bolter sgt in each unit, along with a heavy, even if the others have storm shields, to maximise use of split fire.

6 Black knights.  So I can make the full command squad, then 3 normal bikers.  I can then field either unit.

I will combine the vets and command squad to make various models to use in both command squads, vets (if I ever used them) and as squad sgts, which is what I use the robed models for mostly. 

Any thoughts on the loadout I should be using on my command squad?  With Azrael, I was tempted to put the bolter banner and then combi plasma on everyone.  Including a medic.  Then I thought maybe combi melta would be more useful?

Ill explain the thoughts behind what I bought.

1 box of terminators to make as deathwing knights.

1 box to make a command squad. 

1 box to make a plastic librarian and a belial with all the options, along with 3 spare terminators

1 normal terminator box to flesh out my existing units.  I think I want a power sword/storm bolter sgt in each unit, along with a heavy, even if the others have storm shields, to maximise use of split fire.

6 Black knights.  So I can make the full command squad, then 3 normal bikers.  I can then field either unit.

I will combine the vets and command squad to make various models to use in both command squads, vets (if I ever used them) and as squad sgts, which is what I use the robed models for mostly. 

Any thoughts on the loadout I should be using on my command squad?  With Azrael, I was tempted to put the bolter banner and then combi plasma on everyone.  Including a medic.  Then I thought maybe combi melta would be more useful?

With 3 Deathwing Terminator boxes you gonna end up with 15 extra bodies and heads, pick up some Terminator legs of ebay/bits site and you basically doubled the amount of your Terminators :)

With 3 Deathwing Terminator boxes you gonna end up with 15 extra bodies and heads, pick up some Terminator legs of ebay/bits site and you basically doubled the amount of your Terminators smile.png

?

Dark Vengeance Termies convert easy with the Deathwing bits....

my first pair of the twins.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Deathwing/DSCN9989.jpg

With 3 Deathwing Terminator boxes you gonna end up with 15 extra bodies and heads, pick up some Terminator legs of ebay/bits site and you basically doubled the amount of your Terminators smile.png

Dark Vengeance Termies convert easy with the Deathwing bits....

why do you need to convert them? they already are Deathwing, or am I missing something here?

If you get some of the DA upgrade sprues, you'll also get legs to go with those extra bodies, as well as a few other termie bits here and there.

cheaper to buy bitz separetely 15 legs and torso would cost him ~30 bucks at most, most likely less if he looks for good deals.

The Termie back torsos are still the rare parts. That's why I brought up DV termies...

That is true, but plenty on Ebay if you are okay with that

Terminator Torso linky for you :)

Cheers for the advice.  At the moment I just need to assemble what I have and go from there.  I would also need to get hold of a bunch more 40mm round bases, those seem to be made from solid gold if you buy from GW

That said, I will still have 20 normal terminators, 5 command terminators, 5 Deathwing knights and some spares.  Do I really need any more?  Even if I went and fielded a Deathwing army, using all three Landraiders I doubt I could get that into a sensible 2000pt list, and that is the most I ever play.

While on the subject, my landraiders are all dark green.  Is that an issue for Deathwing upgrade?  I was thinking I would paint small parts of the panels in the bone colour.

Oh and I also thought i could share some of my photos of my Dark Angels.  My Terminators need some extra work on them, as I think the yellow and bone are too similar, so I will be reworking them.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb260/crimsonsphinx/Dark%20Angels/S7300519.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb260/crimsonsphinx/Dark%20Angels/S7300523.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb260/crimsonsphinx/Dark%20Angels/S7300524.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb260/crimsonsphinx/Dark%20Angels/DSCN0010_zps0ce0f455.jpg

Cheers for the advice. At the moment I just need to assemble what I have and go from there. I would also need to get hold of a bunch more 40mm round bases, those seem to be made from solid gold if you buy from GW.

That said, I will still have 20 normal terminators, 5 command terminators, 5 Deathwing knights and some spares. Do I really need any more? Even if I went and fielded a Deathwing army, using all three Landraiders I doubt I could get that into a sensible 2000pt list, and that is the most I ever play.

While on the subject, my landraiders are all dark green. Is that an issue for Deathwing upgrade? I was thinking I would paint small parts of the panels in the bone colour.

Oh and I also thought i could share some of my photos of my Dark Angels. My Terminators need some extra work on them, as I think the yellow and bone are too similar, so I will be reworking them.

I'm noticing a trend here no bare heads?

I don't like bare heads.  I avoid them at all costs, as I think its silly you go around without a helmet on when you have power or terminator armour.  I do have a handful of models I can't avoid this issue with, eg Azrael, but everyone else gets a helmet.

I went for the dark green shoulder to tie them into my army a bit more, and the red hammer is because the bolter casing is red on my power armour marines, and will be on terminators too.  So I was just trying to keep some form of coherent paint scheme going on.

I am considering doing that johnyocum, I may put some dark green on the shields too.  Just to add some other colours to them. 

I have been looking through some threads on here and I don't understand why Dark Talons are supposedly worse than the Nephalim Jet fighters?  The fighter seems pretty dire, and will not worry most aircraft with the bolt cannon, and I am not really sure my army needs some medium strength average ap firepower from it.  Putting a twin lascannon on it, seems a huge waste.

Dark Talons can use the Banner of Dev to power up their Hurricane bolters, and the Rift gun, while a bit naff, can cause blindness.  The bomb thing is situational but potentially useful.  Or am I missing something obvious?  I haven't used either aircraft, as I don't own them.

why do you need to convert them? they already are Deathwing, or am I missing something here?

Converted for identity issues...   There are already 2 of one pose in each set of 5.  Multiply that by several squads and they get hard to tell apart on the table.

Archived