Bringing characters to life. What steps do you take?

Noctem Cultor

Hi all,

Was chatting to a friend the other day and we were discussing characters from Novels of extracts of a Codex etc that don't have models or official artwork and how you go through the process to design the character as you think they should look?

He himself tries to find images online of models/artwork he likes the look of that inspires him for an overall feel of the model design.

One of my friend dives straight into the bit box and sees what he ends up with.

Where as myself I like to sketch up a design and then try to mash up an image on my computer that gives me something to aim for.

For example using the great artwork of ADB Nightlords First Claw by Shane Cook and some Forgeworld Heresy images and my own work I put together what I feel is a good start for the Prophet Decimus.

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/Night%20Lords%20WIP/Decimus_zpsfd1a2c8a.jpg

Of course you then get ideas when you start building the model but thats part of the process (like the Night Lord Hero backpack put aside for this future project).

So I got me wondering what you fellow Chaos Worshippers and Traitors do for this process seeing as we have the characters with the most outward personality?

I am guilty of the bits box route myself. Now with added blu tac too.

That is what my friend does to figure out poses, can't stand it when I get a part from him and have to scrap of the blu tac furious.gif

But alas sometimes it does reward with a greater creative look to the models he produces.

I general look around the fourm & google for fan art work along with any conversion.  I've converted up Talons & First claw last year due to really like the novels & to be part of a kill team challenge I had last year.

Hopeful by next week, I'm going to convert up Lheor Ukris, the World Eater from Talon of Horus.  Just hope ADB dosn't mind me useing the FW Khorne body over the body armour with the Imperial icon - wings with the skull.
Just find Lheor Ukris really cool & want to convert the model for display.

IP

I am a heavy gamer. So video games, characters, and stories influence my conversion ideas.

Take my Prophet Lord, the decision to use scything talon knockoff possessed backpack was based off of Dead Space Necromorphs. The main reason why I have scatterred mutation is to flexify an army much like Necromorphs use the corpses as flexible meat grinders.

So dropping the flying habitats of a hundred million civilians and smashing an Asteroid is something else I've taken.

My biggest influence has to be writing. Whether it's something I've read, or a story I write about the characters in my army, that's how they are inspired. The modeling and design comes after their background has been made. 

The other thing I often use for influence is films. For my current Slaanesh it's films like Hellraiser and The Thing. It may not show so much in the way my minis are painted but images from those films are in mind.

If it general conversion as well, not just base on novels.  Pretty much:

- Lot of idea from looking that bitz

- Comic:  Bloodquest comic by GW help out a lot

- Background:  Storm of Iron, IW serise, Night Lord serise, Heresy serise & recent Talon of Horus to name a few.

- Computer games

- Movies/TV serise - Game of Thrones, LotR/Hobbit, Star Wars, etc..  Clone Troopers from Star wars help a lot to a lot of idea.

- Art work.  From Games Workshop art work in codex, fan art work or concept art work like LotR exstended dvd.

- Gaming:  I find great games help toward some cool conversion & a theme of a unit.  After word future games general add onto the unit history.  Just each unit & character in my IW army does have it own life as it where, it own history thanks to lot of great games over the years.

I tend to base a lot of mine on what they have to be equipped with since I dislike having to keep explaining during games "I know he's got a sword but it counts as a lightning claw" and so on. That and the fact that I tend to write little blurbs about them, their personalities, motivations, desires etc which will influence the look I want to convey. It's after that I'll take the plunge into the bits box or even go on bits sites if I have a specific piece in mind that I really want.

Like with my NL Regent, the Duke of Blades, I've posed him leaning forwards with his sword raised ready to strike, because it looks sweet but also because that's the type of character he is (enjoys killing and isn't afraid to get amongst it with the rest of his men) 

Personally I have two ways to approach a character:

1. I credit myself as being an oldschool roleplayer thus when I want something unique I usually go the random route. In terms of RPG's and games I roll on random charts and I take the challenge to make a workable character which what fate decreed for me. It is surprising but so far this have been some of the best roleplay experiences I even had. I still remember a High Elf Warrior in Skyrim or the Iron Hands Apothecary in Deathwatch, memorable I say. On tabletop it happens that I sometimes "stumble" on my bitz box and I kitbash something with the bits, then I have to figure a background story to make it believable. 

2. I look at the miniature, I look at every detail it has (gun, holster, backpack, staff, sword, trim) and from there on I let my creative juices flow and try to make a background for every item on the model, which in turn builds the story and evokes the image. I have used this technique with the Chaos Sorcerer with Force Staff model as my alter ego for Lord Tenebris. In such a way I have manged to fill a page or two in no time with the background, perfect for Inspirational Fridays.

I admit. I do need to take more time when posing and building my miniatures. I've been getting better but used to throw a squad together to be able to paint but get bored painting them very quickly.

Building the base at the same time seems to help too as you get a little snapshot of the surroundings and anything that is being stood on which could alter the pose of the model.

Actually using blu tac has helped loads with my current Call of Chaos models.

Archived