Command Barge

CrystalSeer

I ran into some trouble with the Necron Command Barge last weekend and was wondering what others had found to counter. The ability of the Necron player to decide whether my shots got placed on his armor 13 hull or his 2+/3++ HQ after I already declared the shots really screwed with my normal anti-armor tactics.

The only thing I hae that could deal with this guy reasonably well would be grav cents, but I feel like if I put them out far enough to chase him then the unit will likely be destroyed in the subsequent turn. I'm not a huge fan of that considering he's got a 33% chance to come back to life anyway... 

Assuming you are a marine player, you really need to make sure you have at least one unit kitted out to kill off a high value target like a barge or other big gribbly. That means having a single unit capable of reliably taking down 5 wounds or 5 hull points in a turn of shooting (or assault) with better than AP2 damage potential. Sternguard, command squads, etc., can all do a good job at this if properly supported. For this, melta is better than plasma, but harder to get in the amounts needed to be a 100% sure thing. Chariots add that extra wrinkle.

you cannot kill him with shooting, unless that shooting is s10 ap 2-1. Because he just tanks the s8+ wounds on him with his 2+ 3++ save while s7 and weaker shots just go on the barge but dont pen it and he has a 4+ cover save on those. The only time I fought one I assaulted it with a knight and in assault you pick where the damage goes so the knight blew up the chariot and even though the lord stood up he had just 1 wound and only 1 hullpoint on the chariot, which made it easy pickings (i think i killed it again with a thrown krak grenade, but he got up and it took a chapter master to smash it open)

Grav Cannons, or a Terminator squad in assault to squish him. You don't laugh in front of 12 Powerfist attacks coming your way.

Or both, draw him to charge your Centurions and counter charge with Terminators.

In any case, Necrons are stronger at shooting than the Marines, often the assault is the only way to deal with things.

Archived