My first WH40k and BA Army ... LF feedback

Helias_Tancred

Also it looks like my first opponent will be a Tau force! Since I don't have the core rules yet (getting them in a week) I'm curious as to how, as a blood angels army, I should best counter his strengths? Offhand I'm guessing assault assault assault, get to him fast and hit him hard? Because he is a shooter force right?

The rule "assault the shooty bits and shoot the assaulty bits" counts escpecialy hard here. So yes, your best of assaulting them.

Tau have a mechanic where several units can join in on when using overwatch though. Be carefull that you dont run into the trap to get shot down on the way there. Ensure that his troops are either not together or gunned down enough that theyre not a major threat when overwatching.

Battlesuits are also suprisingly hard to pin down with shooting as they can make an extra move in the assault phase instead of shooting. They often have guns like plasma or melta and can be quite tooled as to what they can shoot up. Theyre also T4 and S5 (IIRC?) so not completly harmless in combat.

Best of luck mate :tu:

Getting into assault is actually something of an art, particularly with the Tau who, as Demoulius said, have 'supporting fire' USR on some units which means all Tau units within 6" of a Tau unit being charged get to fire overwatch too. So if one model is within 6", the whole unit gets to fire.

Make use of line of sight (LOS) - a unit firing overwatch can only shoot models it can see.

Likewise you only need LOS to the target when you declare the charge. So if you have one marine with LOS and the others hidden behind a wall, only one marine can be shot but if he dies you can still make the charge, assuming you roll the needed distance, even though the remaining marines are out of LOS.

If you can get into assault with Tau then you're on a winner, as they have low stats in melee and break easily with a few casualties.

Also it looks like my first opponent will be a Tau force! Since I don't have the core rules yet (getting them in a week) I'm curious as to how, as a blood angels army, I should best counter his strengths? Offhand I'm guessing assault assault assault, get to him fast and hit him hard? Because he is a shooter force right?

My worst loss was against the Tau, however my best win was against those same Tau. The one unit my opponent who runs them fears is a land raider, if you have one of them I'd run it. Otherwise, my fragioso in a pod turn 1 always does great damage wherever I point him, plus my storm raven. Basically, you need to get right in his face off the bat and dictate where the battles are fought. I always run 3 drop pods with dreads, a storm raven with death company and a land raider with assault terminators. Since my first loss, I'm yet to lose a game to them, and have tabled them twice. Riptides can be ignored more than you think, best to deal with them late game is what I have found.

Archived