What support unit for Deathwing?

Kilofix

Ok, situation:

Friend has an all Deathwing army.

Like Belial, and 60 Deathwing TDAs or Deathwing Knight TDAs and a single Land Raider. 

While other units like Ravenwing might be useful, he intentionally wants to stick close to just Deathwing (for non-competitive / fluffy reasons).

TBH, I don't even know why he has a Land Raider since he likes Deep Striking his stuff in and hardly uses his LR.

So, question:

I would like to build this friend something to bolster his army (given our significant 'gaming relationship'), but I also wanted to keep it close to his just-Deathwing army.

What can I build him? Should I build him a Storm Eagle? A Caestus? A Dread with a Dread Drop Pod? What even goes with Deathwing that isn't a TDA and isn't a slow LR?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

A Dreadnought with the Deathwing vehicle upgrade in a Pod might be the way to go (essentially, a bone-white Venerable Dread) with whatever choice of weapons you really want/think might be best based on the enemies he is likely to fight.

Alternatively, does he have a Chaplain in TDA? If not, that might be an idea. Chaplains are ruthless in a full Deathwing army for bringing hatred to a unit, particularly if you combine it with the Mace of Redemption, a relic from the codex.

I don't know enough about the Forgeworld flyers, but I've always thought that the Storm Eagle would be a fun flyer to use

Finally, I swear by a unit of 7 Deathwing Knights with a Chaplain in a LRC with the Deathwing vehicle upgrade (if you have the 30 points needed) ;) I know you said no LR's, but I have rarely gone wrong with this unit

Ven Dreadnaught, contempor mortis dread, dwcs, and from there he will need to branch out and that will just be too bad I'm sorry. Deathwing are part of a much larger army, this isn't grey knights who are almost exclusively termites.

He can also use drop pods.

Tbh I'd probably move to greenwing in support of deathwing such as veterans, tactical marines, the mighty vindicator and their pieplate doom Cannon.

He can also look into additional hq choices like the techmarine, int chaplain, librarian, and comp master.

Tbh I hate belial I don't even like him a little bit, company master ftw for mace of redemption, digi, fear, Adaman, pref enemy, and shrouded.

Yes, all of the above.  See also LRC.  (You didnt specify what kind he has.)  A Dedicated LRC with the Vehicle upgrade and a Multi Melta is a very dangerous critter that can claim objectives by itself.  Yes it is horrendously expensive at 290 points but it is very tough.

Storm Eagle is a good choice but some places limit forgeworld units, likewise for the Contemptor but of the two I would go for a mortis Contemptor with Assault cannons in a pod.  I am waiting for the HH Dark Angel Contemptor and I may get another.

If you expand into greenwing, Predators and Vindicators are very useful and cheap for what they do.  My next acquisition is a Predator Executioner.  The twined plasma and the conversion beamer fits our forbidden tech quite nicely.  (magnets are my friends)

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space-Marine-Tanks/DEIMOS_PATTERN_PREDATOR_EXECUTIONER.html

Thanks for all the opinions.

He's not going to go Greenwing. His current LR is a standard Phobos LasCannon one. Forgeworld is all cool at the places we play at.

I think I'll build a Kheres / Cyclone Mortis Contemptor with Pod.

There's lots of good advice here... the staples being Ven Dread in a Pod, and of course a Landraider..... but I'd like to offer something that I've really enjoyed in my mixed wing armies ala Az-Zeke Bomb lists:

A Ravenwing squad, or even Black Knights. Neither will be troops for him (with Belial) however the Black Knights are incredibly flexible and perhaps my favorite unit in the codex (I wish it was deathwing knights, but they fall short for me.)

After your first wing come in, your non-Belial units will be looking for a safe drop in and it won't be easy after turn one. What I do with Ravenwing (vanilla or Black Knights) is use my Scout to get real deep, enjoy the mixed pleasures of Jink (super jink with Skilled Rider). Now you have a deep teleport homer to tag off your Deathwing units.

Just my two cents.

But wait - doesn't Belial have a Teleport Homer to enable Turn 2 Deathwing TDAs to DS right on top of him?

I.e.

Turn 1 Belial and his one squad of DW DS with no Scatter

Turn 2 the other DWs DS on top of Belial with no Scatter

At least, that's what my buddy has been doing.

He doesn't like Ravenwing for some reason though.

Deathwing should all come in together

Phased strike gives too many opportunities for  your opponent to focus fire on 1 unit at a time

Venerable Dread in a pod would be cool as you can put it in deathwing colors and a single pod always comes in Turn 1

dread1

My Knights

Incudem Angelorum

But wait - doesn't Belial have a Teleport Homer to enable Turn 2 Deathwing TDAs to DS right on top of him?

I.e.

Yes, Belial has a homer...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/hom.gif

I think the kheres mortis contemptor is fantastic.  I have two of them and ripped apart a full 30 model squad of orks in one round of fire and forced my opponent to choose to do something very uncharacteristic of orks.   He ran away!  One of the greatests moments.  He had jumped out and moved forward to attack my 2 contemptors and their supporting PFG equipped techmarine.  He was JUST enough in the open after I moved.  I am pretty sure I rolled so well I killed near 18 of his orks (including his power klaw) from the 24 shots from my contemptors.  Dice usually hate me so I was very satisfied when the remainder retreat and jumped back over their ADL.  So much for tarpitting!  They were the absolute MVP of the game.  Best money I spent on my Dark Angels.  That was retribution for taking out one of my two land raiders in the first round of shooting from his ADL for sure.

I.e.

Your buddy is doing it wrong. All units making a Deathwing Assault arrive on the same turn. If Belial and a squad DWA on turn 1 the rest of the deep striking units will begin making reserve rolls on turn 2.

I.e.

Your buddy is doing it wrong. All units making a Deathwing Assault arrive on the same turn. If Belial and a squad DWA on turn 1 the rest of the deep striking units will begin making reserve rolls on turn 2.

Which could be what he is doing - there is no mention of whether he is rolling for the reserves for that second group :)

If he isnt rolling then Cactus statement is correct.

Archived