Today's Challenge: BA Highlander

Jolemai

This year there have been quite a few tournaments that have opted for the Highlander ruleset. Using the catchphrase of "there can be only one" this means that army lists are only permitted to field units once i.e. spamming units are out of the equation. One of the reasons for this is that it forces people to bring unusual lists and in many cases games are won based on how good a general the player is rather than how broken his/her force is.

My question to you is, what would you take?

Listed below are the limitations for this task (many of which are used anyway):

• 1850, C:BA primary, one external source (i.e allies/dataslate/Forgeworld) - note that it would still be one per army for things such as Tactical Squads, etc.
  • Special characters count as their unit i.e Tycho = Captain, Lemartes = Chaplain, etc
  • Sanguinary Priests, etc, can only be fielded as one model per army
  • Troops may be duplicated once all Troop choices have been exhausted. Note that in this instance these would need to have unique wargear
  • In the case of Dreadnoughts/Land Raiders a Furioso/Phobos would count as the only option for them per army

While I think this does nothing to fix codex imbalances (often the contrary, the top tier has many good units while the weaker ones often depend on spamming the few good things in the 'dex) it does make make for some variation. 

Do all dedicated transports count or are you allowed multiple rhinos or razorbacks with different gear?

Hm, I think I would try to either spam something that's good in numbers but not the same unit type. Like getting as much AV13+14 as possible into the list. Or go for 3 semi death stars, like corbs and 10 termies, dc with chaplain in land raider and Mephiston in a raven. 

Kind of a counter meta list where you try to exploit weakness and stay away from bad matchups. 

My attempt

Mephiston

Tycho

Sternguard

~ Melta Gun, Combi Melta gun (3), Melta Bomb

~ Razorback

~~ Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

Rapier Heavy Weapons Battery

~ Quad Heavy Bolter

Sanguinary Priest

~ Power Lance

~ Space Marine Bike

Death Company (8)

~ Power Axe (2)

~ Land Raider Redeemer

~~ Istvaan V Dropsite Massacre Legacy of Glory

Tactical Squad

~ Flamer, Missile Launcher, Melta Bomb

~ Rhino

Death Company Dreadnought

~ Magna Grapple

Attack Bike

~ Multi Melta

Stormraven

May not be a serious attempt...

BA

Librarian w/ TDA, SS, ML2

Coburlo

Chaplain w/ JP

19x Death Company w/ Power Fist, 2x Power Axes, Jump Packs

5x ASM w/ Flamer

Allied SM

Shrike

5x Tacticals

4x Centurions w/ Grav

Shrike with Death Company, Corbulo and Libby with Cents.

Edit - Highlander lists are a strange thing. It cuts out Wave Serpents and Adamatine Lance from Tournaments but yet still allows most of the crazy death stars in unmodified.

Archived