is Luther a agent of the gods or loyal to the dark angels

ZONKEY

He's kept in a stasis cell and used as oracle. Doesn't matter where his loyalties lie... we just use him for intel and store him again. Also I recall that is is quite the raveing  lunatic, so you can't say he's loyal to DA or agent of Chaos powers.

Zonkey, the Dark Angels have ways of extracting the truth from uncooperative traitors. Namely torture and psychic probing.

Also, what Brother Dean said.

On a side discussion, Luther always mentions the Lion will pardon him when he comes back. Fast forward to that time, would Luther's mind still be scrambled after that or would the Lion's pardon banish the remaining threads of Chaos in his mind?

He's kept in a stasis cell and used as oracle. .

Oh I don't know. I've found some additional uses for Luther. For example... when I have a game where I roll a lot of 1's, I'll take those dice aside. One dice for everytime I roll a 1.

Then I go down to the depths of the rock and I ask him if it was his fault. He usually says, "No Prot, you just have really poopy luck".

This is the part where I start whipping the dice at him as hard as I can and then just when he thinks the pain will end, I kick him square in the 'little lion'. Typically he starts crying at this point.

Does it ever change the amount of 1's I roll? Not really but I feel better afterwards.

On a side note I just started a few chapters into the 2nd Dark Angels HH novel. I took a break from it to read Vengenful Spirit which was  a great HH novel. But I'm back to the Dark Angel's novel.

It's weird reading Luther as he is certain that the Lion has blacklisted them. I don't know why on Caliban that the Lion didn't talk it over with him before sending him back.

Anyway, the novel focuses on Luther I suppose and quite a few people warned me about the DA HH novels saying they were the worst of the bunch. I've read almost all of the other HH stuff though so I thought I owed it to the DA side of me to read at least the second novel as it's apparently the better of the 2.

DA worst of the bunch? I see you haven't read Deliverance Lost, Battle for the Abyss, or The Outcast Dead...

This isn't the place to discuss it so I'll just say that yes I have read all HH novels and the 2 dedicated DA novels are the worse, because they disapointed me. They could have done so much better with DA lore. So we will agree to disagree.

I always had the impression that the Lion felt/came to the conclusion that Luther and Zahariel were involved in the bomb plot, and given his lack of trust, this simple perception was enough for him to banish them.

I need to go back and read that part again though.

As far as Luther... Stark raving looney that isn't loyal, as we'd know it, to anyone, but still touched by the Warp in the brain.

The funny thing is, as I read into the DA book I see no evidence of any conversation with Luther... no indication of any reasoning period.

I've thought about all the other HH books where the Lion is featured, and I don't recall anything there either. However, the way the Lion is written, I would strongly suggest that his personality is such that *if* he had an ounce of distrust in one of his men then 1) he would confront him, face to face.  And 2) he would not entrust the grooming of Caliban's finest to anyone he did not trust 100%.

Just my take on it. Luther is certainly interesting though. He's written in this novel as feeling outcasted by the Lion even if he puts on a wonderful parade for Caliban. I would think that there is huge potential for revisiting this character post HH novels... since he's still around. 

The funny thing is, as I read into the DA book I see no evidence of any conversation with Luther... no indication of any reasoning period.

I've thought about all the other HH books where the Lion is featured, and I don't recall anything there either.

Really?  That surprises me.  The conversation Luther and the Lion have over Sarosh was one of the parts of Descent of Angels that stuck with me the most.  Not necessarily because of the quality of the scene, per se, but because it's a pivotal moment in the Chapter's history.

CHAPTER 22

The Lion turned at the sound of his brother’s voice and his eyes narrowed as he took in the wounded state of Zahariel and Luther. He said nothing of their condition, clearly filing it away to ask about later.

A conference was held in the Invincible Reason’s staterooms, the senior members of the Dark Angels gathering to hear the words of Mistress Argenta. The Lion and Luther spoke in a huddled corner, their words unheard by anyone, though the intensity of their conversation was plain for all to see.

The Lion turned away from Luther abruptly, his face a mask of unreadable emotion as he took his seat at the head of the table. Luther took his seat at the table too, and Zahariel could read his features much more easily. Their second-in-command's expression was one of despair and anguish.

Excerpt From: Mitchel Scanlon. “Descent of Angels.” iBooks. 

Personally, I thought it was pretty obvious that the Lion found out about Luther's near-betrayal during that intense conversation they had. The only leap of logic I felt I had to make was about why Luther would reveal to the Lion what he almost did.  Even that, however, can be easily guessed at:  Luther, by his own admission to Zahariel, ordered everyone on the embarkation deck the Saroshi shuttle/atomic bomb was on to leave without raising an alarm or otherwise telling them what was going on.  He then made to leave before changing his mind.  He had to have known that, if he didn't confess to the Lion, it was only a matter of time before someone brought up the matter of Luther's suspicious behavior.

However, the way the Lion is written, I would strongly suggest that his personality is such that *if* he had an ounce of distrust in one of his men then 1) he would confront him, face to face.  And 2) he would not entrust the grooming of Caliban's finest to anyone he did not trust 100%. 

Agreed.  The way the Lion has been written in the dedicated Dark Angels novels and novella has been illogical, at best.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it reads like author's fiat.  That is, the Lion has to make decisions - however inexplicably bone-headed - to maintain a course that leads to civil war on Caliban.

Archived