BA Assault Troops and Maelstrom

Kilofix

I just came back from a game with them. When I was able to end my turn in CC with a non-ob sec unit near an objective, I was happy. Rest of the time I was jumping around thanks to that 12'' move to get obj. Not great since they cost alot to just move around, but it's not that bad since at least you can deepstrike quite near objectives thanks to descent of the angel. That being said, I wouldn't bet a winning tournament list on Assault Marines. 

I have found they are excellent for maelstrom missions. Maneuverability is key, you can reliably deep strike them onto or close to an objective to score it then potentially move off to another objective in the following turn and score that as well. I combat squad them and use them purely for running around securing objectives while keeping my opponent busy with drop pod furioso dreads and Baal preds.

I guess the question then would be - are they better than LandSpeeder Scouts?

Last time I checked BA don't get the Land Speeder Transport (Storm was it?)
I think Kilofix is asking whether vanilla scouts with LS Storms are better than BA jumpers. IMHO, it's a trade off.

Vanilla marines get their candy sprinkles(chapter tactics) that can offset the scouts weakness (4+, ws3, bs3) versus Blood Angels with double special weapon jump pack. Both have flexible options for role, but scouts tend to be cheaper.

I think ASM can get the job done, but they're a little overcosted.

That said, their accurate deep strike can make it pretty easy to grab a maelstrom objective when needed. And don't forget that the other half of descent of angels gives you a reserve reroll, which can help them arrive when needed.

I've taken to running 10 man assault squads and them combat squadding them to deep strike 2 meltas against armor and use the other squad to take objectives. It's also worth mentioning that ASM can beat up on other, weaker squads (e.g. scouts) that are normally used to hold objectives.

Archived