Assembling Deathwing Terminators

crimsonsphinx

Hi All,

I have a lot of terminators, although some of them are not yet assembled.  I have been working on a spreadsheet to try and plan my units.  Bear in mind, the unit mixture isn't set in stone, which is why some units may look a bit poorly equipped.  It is highly unlikely I could ever field all of these models in a single game.  Oh, and I am missing Belial at the moment.  I will be rectifying that, via a visit to Warhammer world next week

Command Squad 1 Squad 2 Squad 3 Squad 4 Squad 5 Knights Spare Champ Halberd Sgt SB/PS Sgt SB/PS Sgt SB/PS Sgt SB/PS Red Wake model with SB/PS Flail Librarian Banner, TH/SS TH/SS TH/SS SB/PF Dual LC TH/SS Maul   Apothecary TH/SS TH/SS SB/PF Dual LC TH/SS Maul   Dual LC TH/SS TH/SS SB/CF SB/CF SB/PF Maul   Plascan/CF TH/SS/Cyclone TH/SS/Cyclone Asscan/PF Hflamer/CF Plascan/CF Maul  

Do those squads look okay?  I have built all of the TH/SS terminators in squad 1 and 2 already, along with the entirety of squad 3 and the Red Wake and TH/SS in squad 5.  I realise the Apothecary is sub optimal, but I really want to build one for completeness sake and realistically, in what world will I ever field this many terminators? 

Command            Squad 1          Squad 2        Squad 3          Squad 4            Squad 5                          Knights     Spare
Champ Halberd    Sgt SB/PS     Sgt SB/PS        Sgt SB/PS    Sgt SB/PS    Red Wake model with SB/PS       Flail        Librarian
Banner, TH/SS      TH/SS          TH/SS               SB/PF           Dual LC            TH/SS                               Maul    
Appothecary         TH/SS          TH/SS               SB/PF           Dual LC            TH/SS                               Maul    
Dual LC                 TH/SS          TH/SS              SB/CF            SB/CF              SB/PF                              Maul    
Plascan/CF    TH/SS/Cyclone TH/SS/Cyclone    Asscan/PF    Hflamer/CF            Plascan/CF                         Maul    

I have one word of advice: 'magnetise'. - and so put an end to your worries :P.

If you're glueing: always have more models than you need (within reason) to cover all weapon upgrades. I wouldn't bother with either the heavy flamer or the plasmacannon - but as the options are in the box I'd say one of each would suffice.

Not sure I'd worry about lightning claw models to be honest - although I have enough plastic ones for a seven-man squad or to mix and match and they do look so awesome. I did use them (old metal ones) at one per squad back in 3rd edition purely for their look.

On th/ss models two seem fine per squad for me as I prefer good ol' fashioned firepower.

Cheers

I

Ideally you'll want the TH&SS spread through the squads. 1 or 2 per squad should be enough so every squad has some sort of invulnerable 3+ protection to absorb ap1 and ap2 hits.

The command squad, being the most valuable because of the member should ideally have more TH&SS.

In this edition lightning claws are not worth it so you shouldn't bother with assembly of LC models unless you want them for flavour.

The apothecary on the command squad can be dropped if you use the fortitude banner to give FNP.

I have ten models assembled with TH/SS already, I can split them up between the squads, I was just trying to list what models I have/would like to have. I know the apothecary isn't strictly worth having, but I have so many models I can afford to build one in the event that the new book will fix them. I can't imagine what sized game would allow me to use so many terminator models tbh.

Magnestising would be fine, except I have no spare shoulder pads. Unless I am mistaken, the Deathwing boxes have only ten shoulder pads in them?

The reason for the inclusion of some models with LC is that I play against Tyranids, Orks and Blood Angels primarily. All these armies are close ranged and combat orientated. Very few other models in my collection have any form of combat weapons. I also wanted to have at least one model with each weapon, simply for completion biggrin.png

^The first two replies sum up most everything. Unfortunately the Apothecary is utterly marginalized by the Standard of Fortitude (and the loss of his powerfist during the upgrade process, and that the narthecium only affects the squad containing it).  Simply poor design that the rules were written to lead to such a situation.  Every model should always be important, no matter the outside influence (s).  The Standard of Fortitude is an excellent upgrade for the points, it costing only about 30 points more than what the Apothcary upgrade costs + the loss of the powerfist, and it affects every single unit within 12".  Utterly worth it.

I know the apothecary isn't strictly worth having, but I have so many models I can afford to build one in the event that the new book will fix them.

Indeed. Actually not a bad policy ;)

Archived