Angels of Vigilance

HaSY

I think it's interesting, the different cultures that seem to have risen up around the different 1st Founding chapters (actually, more like the different codices).

Space Wolves seem pretty homogenous, though this is in part thanks to their fluff, which gives the Space Wolves no successors, and the only variety is in which company they belong to, and therefore how one of their shoulder pads is decorated.

Dark Angels occupy the middle ground. Every once in a great while, I've run across a successor army, but almost every Dark Angels army I've ever seen is the straight up green and black and bone (mostly black bikers and bone terminators, with the occasional splash of green on a dreadnought, truth be told - I've seen very few power armored Dark Angels in my days).

Then we have the Blood Angels, where all hell seems to break loose. I personally play Knights of Blood, and I've met people who currently have, or once hand, Blood Angels codex armies painted as Lamenters and Flesh Tearers, and in another, very small (ie. fans of this one podcast), forum I post on, there's another guy doing Knights of Blood and a guy doing Flesh Eaters.

I wonder why that is...

Anyway, reading the Angels of Vigilance fluff, are you sure that you'd want to use the Dark Angels codex to represent them? The way they're described, it sounds like they fight like regular marines, not Dark Angels. They aren't clear on their heritage and don't have ravenwing or deathwing formations, and their primary motivation seems to be "guard the Eye of Terror and also this one mysterious planet" rather than "hunt down the Fallen and also occasionally be heroic if we've got nothing better to do." It seems to me that you'd use Codex: Space Marines to represent these dudes on the table, not Codex: Dark Angels.

There is not much info on Angels of Vigilance but just because they dont have the Fallen Hunting label doesnt mean they are not DA sucessors.... the fact that they are monastic,guard a big secret, have conflicting founding dates and are suspected to be DA sucessors is a pretty strong casr to do them as DA codex. not having a declared RW and DW can be just camouflage or a tactical necessity.

Based on the original "fluff" the dark Angels cleansed the planet Pervigillium of "taint" and soon after the Angels of Vigilance took station there and have been there ever since. The fact that it is a planet close to the Eye of Terror, that they have stood guard since it was cleansed byt the Dark Angels both point strongly to some connection between the two chapters.

You have to remember that not all DA successors are part of the "unforgiven" Originally the Unforgiven was a term given to the second founding chapters only...although it is very loosely applied these days.

SG

Who says that the Angels of Vigilance don't hunt the Fallen? Certainly not GW (though GW has never said that they do hunt the Fallen, either).

Similarly, GW has never said that the Angels of Vigilance don't have Deathwing or Ravenwing (whether using those names or not).

Based on the very limited information that GW has provided, the Angels of Vigilance would appear to be descended directly from the Legion, created as an unofficial/unrecorded member of the 2nd Founding (whether concurrent with the 2nd Founding or not). If so, all of the evidence would be that they know of the Fallen.

What particular role they might play in the secret legion is anyone's guess.

Here's mine. msn-wink.gif

Who says that the Angels of Vigilance don't hunt the Fallen? Certainly not GW (though GW has never said that they do hunt the Fallen, either).

Similarly, GW has never said that the Angels of Vigilance don't have Deathwing or Ravenwing (whether using those names or not).

Based on the very limited information that GW has provided, the Angels of Vigilance would appear to be descended directly from the Legion, created as an unofficial/unrecorded member of the 2nd Founding (whether concurrent with the 2nd Founding or not). If so, all of the evidence would be that they know of the Fallen.

What particular role they might play in the secret legion is anyone's guess.

Here's mine. msn-wink.gif

That is as complete and detail as you will get anything resembling a Index Astartes level of information regarding the AoV. BT has been with the AoV for so long you may as well accept it as canon... cool.png or cannon!! tongue.png

Deathwing70's handiwork is par excellence....I was just about to say that someone needs to just add some black robes to a character and the AoV will be hunting the fallen!.... and I notice that he has indeed sculpted a character with robes....but not yet painted it.... regardless...superb army!

SG

When I look back at my Differences of the Successor project, it is dated to 2007-08.

In games terms, I would build the army with ability to use either Codex since the background is vague enough that it would be allowed by nearly all gamers. The only stipulation is that only one would be allowed for the game unless their is a second force to visually show the two detachments on the tabletop.

Archived