Picked up a box set, bouncing ideas around: Flesh Tearers Qs

Prot

Hey guys!

Short and sweet. I decided to break out of a funk by trying a new Loyalist Chapter. Most probably a founding chapter. ( I know Flesh Tearers aren't technically a founding chapter but they are formed at the end of the Heresy and... they look cool... and the assault a lot right?)

This is what I bought: (It includes most of the stuff I thought would be good for launching this project, and I can't back out now.)

You save something like 86 bucks (compared to retail). I know I could probably still save more, but hey, 80 bucks is 80 bucks and the box is full of stuff I'd need to do Codex Astartes.

Flesh Tearers: How do they play? I don't know anyone who plays them.... Are they just like blood angels? Is it just a special character? (They do have one right? Seth something or other?)

They do still have access to the flyers right? (My Blood Angel friend uses both flyers.) But not Centurions? Nor Sternguard?

Just trying to make sure I understand this. Right now I'm looking mostly at Ultra's as I kind of like the Blue's and the HH background has much improved my outlook on them, while it seems BA have had very little attention in that series thus far.

So the attraction (away from Chaos/Dark Angels) had been - centurions, those better fliers (both), Sternguard... perhaps Vanguard, Chapter Tactics, Thunderfire to a degree (it seems potent for its' points.)

Thanks guys.

Flesh Tearers, game-wise, is just like regular Blood Angels and has access to all the same units and characters they do. Seth is the Chaptermaster of the Flesh Tearers and is a unique character in the BA codex. There is however nothing stopping you from running Dante or any character you want as your HQ of choice.

Fluff-wise, Flesh Tearers has more assault elements due to a higher occurence of The Red Thirst and The Black Rage. They are also lacking in vehicles with the exceptions of rhinos and razorbacks. Lexicanum has an excellent article on Flesh Tearers :).

I like my vehicles so I reason that due to the imminent attack of Hive Fleet Leviathan and the Daemons of Ka'Bandha they have acquired more vehicles from the Mechanicum. I also have Tactical Squads so it's not only Assault Squads in my army.

Seth is the Chaptermaster of the Flesh Tearers and is a unique character in the BA codex. There is however nothing stopping you from running Dante or any character you want as your HQ of choice.

Ruleswise there is nothing stopping you from having Dante, the Chapter Master of the Blood Angels, run around with Flesh Tearers, the rulebook even says so on p. 81, but I would suggest you to customize the normal model or kitbash something else entirely as a Flesh Tearer that happens to have Dante's stats and wargear. You could probably build a better looking Dante with the Sanguinary Guard box (if you go for the nipple armor aesthetic) or any other power armour, axe, JP and infernus pistol.

Fluff-wise, Flesh Tearers has more assault elements due to a higher occurence of The Red Thirst and The Black Rage. They are also lacking in vehicles with the exceptions of rhinos and razorbacks. Lexicanum has an excellent article on Flesh Tearers smile.png.

The armies used in normal battles (1500-200 pts) are so small that this should not hinder you to build whatever army you'd like.

IIRC Flesh Tearers prefer the Phino Rush to Jump Packs but don't let that stop you from fielding 2-6 assault squads with JPs, that's not even the whole 8th company (assuming FTs also use the Codex organization).

From the Strike force, unfortunately you cannot use the Stormtalon or the captain (BA don't get grav weapons), but wait till the new codex is available. Maybe one or even both will become available. If you replace the captain's combi-grav with something else you can use the model. The captain is a very poor HQ choice at the moment though.

Thanks for the answers. Just to be sure of this though since BA/FT's are the same ruleswise:

- They can't take Sternguard?

- Can't take Centurions?

- Can't take Thunderfires?

- Can take Stormtalons? 

- Can take the heavy flyer? (Stormraven?)

I imagine if they get a new books shortly they will receive chapter tactics, but they don't have any right now correct?

I wish I knew more about the Deathcompany which always looked very cool to me but I almost never see them in play. Are the competitive? (They would be a heavily used unit for Flesh Tearers probably, right?)

Thanks for the answers. Just to be sure of this though since BA/FT's are the same ruleswise:

- Can't take Centurions?

- Can take Stormtalons?

I imagine if they get a new books shortly they will receive chapter tactics, but they don't have any right now correct?

I wish I knew more about the Deathcompany which always looked very cool to me but I almost never see them in play. Are the competitive? (They would be a heavily used unit for Flesh Tearers probably, right?)

Blood Angels have their own codex. It's a whole different ball of wax. You should get a copy and read it. We've been throwing around theories about which - if any - Codex: Space Marines toys we'll get in our new 'dex, but really no one knows. To be safe, I wouldn't buy anything not in our current 'dex until the new one appears.

- Can't take Centurions?

- Can take Stormtalons? 

BA (and by extension FT) can take Sternguard (no grav weapons) and the Stormraven. The rest is not present in Codex:Blood Angels.

We'll see once the new book becomes available.

JP Death Company is overpriced, but DC in a drop pod or Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer or Stormraven should work well enough. DC in Rhinos and Razorbacks are a bad idea. Too fragile and the DC cannot assault the turn they disembark.

Don't give the DC too many upgrades. A power fist and a power sword on a 7-9 man squad should be enough to threaten almost everything. Putting a Reclusiarch/Chaplain with the squad is a good idea, for rerolls on all attacks and wounding rolls.

Anyways you probably should wait for the new codex.

Regardless of codex the DC box is a good source for BA bits that can be used for any power armoured unit (assault squads, tactical squads, veteran squads, characters). I'm not sure how keen the FTs are on wings and blood drops though.

For Chapter specific iconography there's always Forgeworld, they do a Blood Angels transfer sheet that features all of the Successors and a brass etch sheet dedicated to Flesh Tearers.

Your questions have largely been answered already.

I'd say  that a couple of things it's important to remember about the Flesh Tearers is that they are the angriest and fightiest of the Blood Angels' successors. They are a much depleted chapter as they tend to fall to the Black Rage earlier in their lives and more frequently than anyone else and this, combined their method of waging war (hurling themselves at the enemy with reckless abandon), means that recruitment struggles to replace their losses. They are generally accepted to be doomed, Seth is largely concerned with their actions before that point redeeming their reputation and creating an ever-lasting legend. They have come under great scrutiny from the Inquisition for their barbarism.

I play my Flesh Tearers as barely post Heresy, still lead by Amit.  I like the HH vehicle and Astartes aesthetic from FW, so I use a mix of armor marks and old and new patterns of vehicles.  I try and make all my equipment look rough, though, since they're basically running on whatever scraps they got after the sundering of the legions.

I would, however, wait for the new codex to start a force; I'm holding a lot of infantry and DC because I don't want to do anything until I know what the future holds.

Archived