Dreadclaw vs Skyshield Landing Pad

King Jackal

It is Vehicle type: Vehicle (Hover, Flyer)

Flyer rule is a basic one, those applied from Ready for Takeoff are advanced. That's how.

Dreadclaw deployment is an advanced rule which tells us exactly how to use it. What makes you think that and an advanced rule (Ready for Takeoff) that allows you to tweak a basic rule (Flyer deployment) is applicable here?

Finally:

Perhaps you can explain this part? Until it arrives via Deep Strike like a Drop Pod, it can't fulfill the bolded part of the Dreadclaw's rules.

As an aside, why someone would want to start on a Skyshield makes no sense as it gives you no advantage.

It doesn't say that.

Because it's an assault vehicle, flyer.

/sigh.

I've typed above why it says that and given another example of a rule being added to allow something (my Caestus comment). Why not read the rules for Drop Pod Assault next to the unit entry and tell me how it doesn't begin the game as a Drop Pod?

As an aside, why someone would want to start on a Skyshield makes no sense as it gives you no advantage.

Instead of rolling for your Stormraven to come into play turn 2+, you can start on on board, and have it moveing/shooting/deliverying cargo turn 1.

Obviously I'm referring to the Dreadclaw doing it.

I'm out. People are more interested in their own agendas rather than rule debating.

All codex rules are considered Advanced. Just MORE Advanced. Both should read up on Basic Vs Advanced in General Principles.

That's just like saying *all* rules are Basic.  some are just more Basic than others...

There are three distinct layers of rules.

Basic, Advanced and Codex.

And nothing else really matters.

I'd much prefer a Specific over General system instead.  But, well, GW.

I am now slightly confused on this vehicle.

Is it *always* a Flier with Hover?  Or does it only gain Flier with Hover from the Drop Pod Assult rule?

Obviously I'm referring to the Dreadclaw doing it.

Honestly, that wasn't clear.

As for why?  No idea.

Only thing I can think of is you oponent is denying too much space to Drop Into, so you want to start on board.

Or maybe that you have a lot of these, and want an extra one (over your hlaf allowed) on the table turn one.

I am now slightly confused on this vehicle.

Is it *always* a Flier with Hover?  Or does it only gain Flier with Hover from the Drop Pod Assult rule?

It has the listed vehicle type:  (Hover, Flyer)

However it's Drop Pod Assault rule states that it must always start in reserves and always enters play using the Deep Strike rules.

It ends with the line:  "However, after it has landed, it is treated as a Flyer with Hover mode (which starts off hovering after it has arrived via Deep Strike)."

So it must enter play via Deep Strike and becomes a Flyer (Hover) after it has landed.

Unless another rule gave permission to over rule the Drop Pod Assult rules.

In which case, the Dreadclaw would still be a Flier (Hover).

I was concerned those weren't in it's unit rules, and were only granted by the Drop Pod Assult rule itself.

Again, *must*/*always* has no bearing.

All Fliers *must*/*always* start in reserves.  And we know that can be overrulled easily.

It is Vehicle type: Vehicle (Hover, Flyer)

Flyer rule is a basic one, those applied from Ready for Takeoff are advanced. That's how.

Dreadclaw deployment is an advanced rule which tells us exactly how to use it. What makes you think that and an advanced rule (Ready for Takeoff) that allows you to tweak a basic rule (Flyer deployment) is applicable here?

Finally:

Perhaps you can explain this part? Until it arrives via Deep Strike like a Drop Pod, it can't fulfill the bolded part of the Dreadclaw's rules.

It doesn't say that.

Because it's an assault vehicle, flyer.

/sigh. I've typed above why it says that and given another example of a rule being added to allow something (my Caestus comment). Why not read the rules for Drop Pod Assault next to the unit entry and tell me how it doesn't begin the game as a Drop Pod?

Instead of rolling for your Stormraven to come into play turn 2+, you can start on on board, and have it moveing/shooting/deliverying cargo turn 1.

Obviously I'm referring to the Dreadclaw doing it. I'm out. People are more interested in their own agendas rather than rule debating.

Don't sulk, this is a debate. I haven't started this topic to try to 'further my agenda' and I have no desire to play it, so just relax.

BBCode error corrected, Dam13n.

All codex rules are considered Advanced. Just MORE Advanced. Both should read up on Basic Vs Advanced in General Principles.

That's just like saying *all* rules are Basic. some are just more Basic than others...

There are three distinct layers of rules.

Basic, Advanced and Codex.

And nothing else really matters.

I'd much prefer a Specific over General system instead. But, well, GW.

You are correct on the levels, just not on the names given them is all. But as you said, GW.

All Basic rules are in the first part of the book. Advanced Rules cover anything listed in the army list: unit type, USR, Army Special Rules, and Unit Special Rules. When a rulebook Advanced Rule conflicts with an Army or Unit Advanced Rule, the Army or Unit rule has priority because they originate in a codex.

Now, the question is (as has already been pointed out) if the Stronghold Assault entry for the Skyshield is a codex Advanced Rule or a rulebook Advanced Rule.

To which, I'd say it is a codex Unit Advanced Rule since it is listed in an unit entry, just like the Drop Pod Assault Rule. Which means we have a conflict between two units' Advanced Rules.

All Basic rules are in the first part of the book.

Not true.  the Psychic Phase (before the Shooting Phase), is not a Basic Rule.

As weird and stupid as that is.

More hold over of 6th edition copy pasta than anything, really.

Which means we have a conflict between two units' Advanced Rules.

As I said, dice off.

We are not equipped to decide this using the rules.

Archived