Grav vs....

Fallen11

I played twice with my centurions, and more or less know how they work. SInce I will be taking them to tournament, and there will be serpents and imperial knights, I just want make sure I got rules right, before tournament. So '6' vs imperial knight only does 1 glancing hit, right? He cant be immobilised there fore, only glancing hit from the rule is applied?

Vs serpent shield, what is final rule? It does 1 glancing hit, but they can turn immobilised to another glancing hit on 2+ or can't?

Tnx!

You're right on the knight.

The serpent shield turns a penetrating hit into a glancing hit, it will have no effect on the grav's immobilised result as it does not result from a penetrating hit but rather the weapons special rules.

I think I read somewhere that it does work vs immobilised, since immobilized comes from penetration hit table...something to do with some FAQ or rule for haywire, not quitesure what it was.

Haywire generates a Penetrating Hit, Grav does not. Unless the Wargear/rule specifies it cannot be Immobilized, than a successful Grav Hit can Immobilize it like a failed Dangerous Terrain test.

• 2 months later...

Therefore, since it's not a penetrating or glancing hit, can invulnerable saves be taken against it?

pg.37, "... in the case of vehicles, suffers a penetrating or glancing hit..."

same question for cover saves

Therefore, since it's not a penetrating or glancing hit, can invulnerable saves be taken against it?

pg.37, "... in the case of vehicles, suffers a penetrating or glancing hit..."

same question for cover saves

Cover Saves definitely. That's in "Vehicles & Cover". I seem to remember seeing it for Invulnerable Saves, but seem to have having trouble finding it.

As usual for GW though, they've 'fixed' the issue on cover saves by ignoring the disease and treating the symptom. Grav weapons do not inflict glancing or penetrating hits and therefore would not normally be able to take cover or invulnerable saves. Instead of altering the Graviton rule to match the general rules though, GW simply tell us "Oh yeah, that includes hits from grav weapons". Anyhoo, the relevant rule for cover saves is:

• If the target is obscured and suffers a glancing hit, a penetrating hit, or is otherwise hit by an enemy shooting attack that inflicts damage upon it (such as being hit by a weapon with the Graviton special rule), it must take a cover save against it, exactly like a non-vehicle model would do against a Wound

I've not yet found one for invulnerable saves though which therefore seem to still require a glancing or penetrating hit and are therefore ignored by grav weapons against vehicles.

Something that has stumped me regarding this issue is ways of getting a cover save, i.e obscured vs jinking. the example citing the grav weapon, or any other damaging effect, is specifically mentioned for if the vehicle is obscured.

Jinking however grants a cover save, but not obscured status.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this? Have I missed a link?

Archived