Ophidium Gulf Incident: Why is it assumed the DA did it?

ftcosiris

I've recently been reading through fluff and commentary and ran into the Ophidium Gulf Incident.  

This was the incident in which a Fallen Angel was taken prisoner by the Black Templars strike cruiser "Ophidium Gulf" and the Dark Angels threatened to open fire if the prisoner was not turned over.  The Ophidium Gulf gave up the prisoner and then the Dark Angels supposedly left.  The Ophidium Gulf sent one more message and then was lost forever.  Of course, the prisoner escaped at some point after the Ophidium Gulf agreed to give him up (and was hinted as being Cypher).  

Now, everyone seems to assume that the Dark Angels returned, ambushed the Ophidium Gulf and destroyed it to keep the secret of the Fallen Angels.  

Why?

The prisoner escaped.  If the prisoner was on the Ophidium Gulf (e.g. escaped early on in the prisoner transfer or bailed out before the DA left), why couldn't the Fallen Angel, Cypher or not, have destroyed or "misplaced" the Ophidium Gulf?

the prisioner was delivered to the DA, and later escaped. the DA are suspect because they were the last known contact the BT had. they probably got lost in the warp or something but finger pointing at the DA is tipical

the prisioner was delivered to the DA, and later escaped. the DA are suspect because they were the last known contact the BT had. they probably got lost in the warp or something but finger pointing at the DA is tipical

The source doesn't actually say that the prisoner LATER escaped or even that the prisoner was confirmed to be present in the cell of the DA ship before they left.  The way it sounded was as soon as the transport or whatever from the Gulf to the DA ship arrived, they took off.

"Although ultimately taken into custody by the Dark Angels, the robed captive mysteriously escapes and the Ophidium Gulf is lost."

Gee, I can't imagine why. rolleyes.gif

Between the possibilities of a notoriously untrustworthy, clandestine Chapter trying to cover its darkest secret in the face of Imperial scrutiny or a freak accident, clearly the freak accident is a more likely scenario...

teehee.gif

There is lots of things that could have happened, which is why I think this is a cool piece of fluff.

Having said that, it seems likely, that the DA had something to do with the Ophidium Gulf disappearing.

It all depends on how much the Templars knew about their prisoner or if the DA's insistence on them handing him over sparked more interest.

On tthe other side the DAs would not attacj loyal Imperial sevants.

Leaving them to die, because there is a sighting of a fallen in a different area, is a completely different story though rolleyes.gif

On tthe other side the DAs would not attacj loyal Imperial sevants.

Which is why they powered up their weapons when they demanded that Cypher the prisoner be turned over immediately.

What seems so unlikely about DA turning their guns on loyal Imperial forces in order to cover up the secret of the Fallen, especially if they believed they could pull it off and get away with it?  

And according to the entry in your dex, it caused the two forces to "briefly engage."  There's an Inquisitor on the case, but that certainly isn't a first for the DA.

It's always easier to blame the most likely suspect, even if he's innocent. Even if DA did it, so what? It's not the first time loyalistforce engage each other for honour or petty reasons. It won't be the last. I bet taht if it was the other way around the BT would even bat an eyelash at attacking.

It's not whether or not the Dark Angels had anything to do with it, the question is What are going to do about it Zealot? Well, What? devil.gif

Quick High Marshal! Purge the heretics! Order the Orbital Strike!

..........doh!

As Lucifer said, it's not unusual for Imperial forces to attack one another. Inquisitors have met with unfortunate 'accidents' at the hands of a number of chapters (including the DA) but usually as a last resort.

IF the DA fired on the Templar vessel it may well be the case that the Templars had been told or learnt something that the DA could not afford them to know about. If that's the case then there is an interesting question as to how the DA discovered that. Taking on a whole vessel is a fairly major undertaking and you might assume that the two sides were well matched, so attacking is not something to be done lightly unless you are certain that the incident cannot be passed off. We should remember that it is not uncommon for loyalist Chapters to have individual marines turn from time to time and, whilst shameful, this could potentially have been passed off as such by the Dark Angels. So what made them think that the Templars knew something more?

That's what I thought, all talk tongue.png

I'll get you yet Angel, and your little Jawa too!

Step away from the Jawa, that's just uncalled for msn-wink.gif

Well, the Jawa may or may not have witch powers anyway... That is enough for a Templar...

I am liking the Alpha Legion angle because our Jawas may or may not be in the Cabal. I also have a pet theory that Cypher is working as a Double or Triple agent with the Cabal and some in the Inner Circle sanction his actions.

That's what I thought, all talk tongue.png

I'll get you yet Angel, and your little Jawa too!

Step away from the Jawa, that's just uncalled for msn-wink.gif

Well, the Jawa may or may not have witch powers anyway... That is enough for a Templar...

I am liking the Alpha Legion angle because our Jawas may or may not be in the Cabal. I also have a pet theory that Cypher is working as a Double or Triple agent with the Cabal and some in the Inner Circle sanction his actions.

... and hidden within his robes is an athame, which allows him to suddenly disappear.... perhaps Cypher is also one of the perpetuals?..... but I have a simpler theory for the disappearing BT vessel....

Bad drivers blame their cars...... Bad pilots blame the plane..... Bad navigators get their ships lost,,, in the warp.... and blame the bad bad Dark Angels! tongue.png

SG

Maybe the Zealots got annoyed with their little witch of a Navigator after we bruised their egos and Crusaded him into oblivion, then they promptly followed him into said oblivion once they had nobody to look after them in the Warp msn-wink.gif

Bonfire of the Astropaths?

Explains why its out of contact...

My personal favorite is that they pop out of the warp several thousand years in the future and get eaten by whatever hive fleet eventually ends up on top...

Since before your Second Founding Chapter decided that it's founding dude couldn't behave and got shamed out by his Primarch. devil.gif ...

...Yup, that's a while tongue.png

Ah, but things change. For instance, right now the Rock isn't a cloud of radioactive debris slowly floating into a sun, and the Templars aren't watching with satisfied smiles and frosty beers. Right now, at least...

What were we supposed to be talking about again?

Archived