Grey Knights the Santic dicpline

SnakeChisler

Just had a game against my mate who had just got hold of the new Grey Knight codex

Basically we cut it to 1000 made it more of a city fight on a 48 x 48 to try and test his stuff out

So he starts with rolling for Psychic with a relic and an upgrade he gets 4 powers + Primaris

Gate of Infinity

Sanctuary

Cleansing Flame

Vortex of Doom

The warlord table he gets DS turn 1

So it being Maelstrom I put all my stuff on the table looking forward to a bit of nip and tuck as we maneuvered round the board

His HQ came in 1st turn scatters next to my Ravenwing command squad then comes the psychic phase 5 for the roll + 7 dice for his psykers so he gets sanctuary off then decides to try out vortex, chucks 7 dice at it to make sure it goes off perils then rolls a 6 on the perils chart covers 3 of the Bikers with the blast gets a direct hit then rolls 2 5 & 6 to wound. We had a bit of a laugh at this stage and checking back yes Vortex is defiantly now a D weapon so no saves for me 400 points up in smoke in one turn of psychic shooting.

Anyways after he'd finished his turn there wasn't much point continuing so I conceded in a 1000 point game loosing 1/2 your points before you fire a single shot is pretty terminal and +2 points for 1st blood & warlord. We didn't bother starting again and spent a bit of time reading up on the different options.

So what did I learn from this well I'm not sure apart from that D weapons are just OP but on the other hand your left with no where to go with the codex and rule book powers like what else is a GK player supposed to do there designed round Santic so ....

We worked out that on what he rolled he would take out just about any deathstar we could come up with D6 (5 in this case) + 6 wounds automatic no saves of any kind with another 4 S10 ap 1 wounds and its a 50/50 chance of getting a 6 on 3 dice. It does have scatter but it remains in play as a Vortex template so this thing was going to float round my deployment area with the added bonus of being cast again.

We then tried working through the scenario of what would happen if no 6's had been rolled and I'd passed all my 2+ jink saves (night fighting) and got well stumped with the Vortex remaining in play as its impassible terrain so effectively my Librarian and 2 others would have been stuck under it and couldn't find out if we were allowed to just drive off or had to wait for it to float off somewhere.

Cleansing flame looks pretty terminal to armies with 4+ saves  or less coupled with Gate you DS then pump out s5 ap4 2d6 to all units within 9"

So an interesting evening just not quite the one we were planning and were pretty sure we've interpreted how the D weapon works correctly

We had a bit of a laugh at this stage and checking back yes Vortex is defiantly now a D weapon so no saves for me 400 points up in smoke in one turn of psychic shooting.

Destroyer weapons only ignore all saves on a 6. Vortex of Doom is AP1, but cover/jink/invulnerable saves still apply on a 1-5.

So what did I learn from this well I'm not sure apart from that D weapons are just OP

How about "don't have half your army in one unit"? Unless that unit can take the kind of kicking 7th edition can deliver, anyway.

There are plenty of units available at <1,000 points that can one-shot a Ravenwing command squad more reliably than a Vortex of Doom. You need to have a plan B for every unit.

D strength weapons are OP. You might as well as well roll to see who wins the game as it requires less set up time as you found out. :P If one wants to fire Vortex then make sure half of the army isn't within the scatter distance, that also includes next to the psyker in case it perils, which should have been obvious if he was throwing down 7 dice. Still, live and learn, same sentiment doesn't apply to those Grey Knights. XD

Archived