Dark Angels on Advent Calendar tomorrow

HaSY

For the last 24 hours I have been so excited to get my grubby, green hands on this and it isn't available in the interactive iBooks edition!!! Nooooo!

Does anyone know if it will be? Last year I think they were done as both.

I hate the PDFs GW release, so awkward to navigate... Oh well. If a decent one isn't released soon I'll pick up this version.

Rikkumon

okay this formation booklet is pretty mediocre:

ill break it down:

1) relentless hunt formation

units: 1

1 company master

1 librarian

1 tactical squad

1dw knight squat

1 dw terminator squad

1 rw attack squadron

1rw black knight squadron

1 dark talon

special rules: hatred(csm), relentless, no respite, no forgiveness

no respite, no forgiveness: all models in this formation within 12" of a chaos space marine faction unit re-roll failed charge distances, and auto-pass all leadership tests

so basically you field this and your HQ's gain hatred (and visa vie can pass it onto other units you bring), and you get a squad of relentless tactical marines. if your fighting against CSM's your dwk's got a lot scarier. edit: i did the math for this formation, before upgrades its 1046 points, assuming the dark vengeance loadouts: 1226 points. yikes to say the least

How..... underwhelming......

i know right, this just lazy on their part and you get nothing out of it. other armies have large formations. strike force ultra, tempestus strike vangaurd, circus of agony but they are all special and can be used in a variety of situations. this is so situational it might as well not bloody exist as your basically paying for a relentless tactical marine squad if you were to field this up against not csm's. GW should be bloody well ashamed of themselves; and while this dataslate is only 3 bucks canadian... i want my 3 dollars back.

oh well back to shoehorning in the reclusiam cmd squad and astartes storm wing for lil ol me. why do we even bother anymore??

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/RadRanger/Motivational/FacePalm1.png

Can the hq from a formation join squads not in the formation. If so would they then pass on relentless to the other squads. My thinking here is that 3 relentless tactical squads and a dakka banner could be sweet but I haven't played much 7 th and am still fuzzy on the rules

Ah JJD yeah you hit the point here

The formation can indeed join a standard FOC composed of one cheap DA HQ with command squad and Dakka banner and 2 tactical squads.

As they are from the same codex, IC from the dataslate can join unit of the standard FOC.

Wether they can give retentless to them, I'm not sure. :unsure:

Shame on you people to think something actually good,useful and new could come to us. ;)

Jokes aside its a good anti chaos formation and despite that we were already good vs chaos an extra help is not bad. But it is a rather big and clunk formation I wont expect to see it under 2000 points games....

Can the hq from a formation join squads not in the formation. If so would they then pass on relentless to the other squads. My thinking here is that 3 relentless tactical squads and a dakka banner could be sweet but I haven't played much 7 th and am still fuzzy on the rules

relentless is a model by model thing, so no you cant, however this makes giving them a combi bolter seem pretty smart, you then get a salvo 8 boltgun on your first use which is pretty neat

I was a little disappointed at first, but now thinking about running this, as a formation, attached to CAS (with 2 cheap scout squads, a HQ and the Dakar banner).

Having relentless tactical could be pretty sweet.

Actually - on second thoughts, only the one tactical squad benefits from this.

Looks like father Christmas will not be stopping by the rock this year.

Does this at least have some decent fluff to read? Any stories about a relentless hunt for crimson slaughter or chaos using said formation?

Otherwise this just strikes me as lazy marketing in the guise of a christmas "treat". Sorry if this sounds like a rant as its not meant to be.

Edited for spelling

OH GW, YOU SHOULDNT HAVE!

What a mess of a rainbow list.  This is truly the pinnacle of GW's approach to DA.  Which seems to be more of akin to someone trying to make dinner with whatever ingredients they happen to have because they haven't gone food shopping in about 3 months.

*DISCLAIMER: I don't have the detachment*

At base level without spending points on any upgrades this probably clocks in around 1,000 points.  Since you won't ever approach a table without wargear it's most likely going to run about 1200 points all said and done.  Oh, relentless, that sounds cool right? Until you realize that only ONE model in this detachment actually is really benefitting from that (PC marine).  Sure, I guess they are able to assault after firing their boltguns but are tacticals really on the table to get themselves in assault?

Maybe throw a second detachment of a banner in there you might say? Cool, now you can spend (with the cheapest models) another 350 points on getting a banner on the table. Leaving you with virtually little to no points left for Anti-Vehicle.  You might feel cozy knowing your entire army has hatred against CSM, but that won't help you when all that heavy support in the Chaos book is crunching you under their treads.

Blah.  Typical GW, such potential, lukewarm at best.

Archived