Dark Angels on Advent Calendar tomorrow

HaSY

If my memory serves me correctly ( and it didnt! ), I think  Pandorax has an as in 1  2  Apoc formations.

One with all flyers and another with all Land Speeders

Edit: 2 formations in pandorax not 1 

Do we actually have any non apoc formations? We seemed to have received zero love since our codex was released.

I think we're the only codex without a supplement... Sad times!

There's no Grey Knight supplement either..

Do we actually have any non apoc formations? We seemed to have received zero love since our codex was released.

I think we're the only codex without a supplement... Sad times!

There's no Grey Knight supplement either..

Nor does Astra Militarum (Militarum Tempestus is a stand alone codex.)

It is 1 and only 1... This could have been useful if there was some 0-1s and tacs were 1-X. Being forced to take a Dark Talon is the nail in the coffin for me, I can't stand that things rules.

I've actually played with a Darktalon before and it's not THAT bad.  I wouldn't bring one now because it's an anti-infantry unit and I'd rather save my points for an Imperial Knight and save a FA slot.

Before Knights about a year or two ago I put one in a thematic RW list.  I had it fly above the command squad so it got the SoD bonus and it helped mince up and mob of Ork boyz.  This was before the new codex when everyone beat up on Orks, so I don't know how that would do now.  The other times I've brought it it's failed to come in on turns 2 or 3 and was basically pointless.  Never got to effectively use the bomb though.

Played a game with the formation this afternoon. Had the formation, command squad, dakka banner. The game went ok, but it doesn't hit hard enough and is too unfocused. The plane was of course next to useless and my MVP was the khorne flesh hounds I summoned in at the cost of my librarian.

So yeah, not super impressed, but it does give newbies the chance of having a battleforged army with just their two DV boxes...

Gah! What a non event.

They expect us to care when they obviously don't; man it's lucky I'm a DA fanboy or I'd be out the door this year.

Grumbles away to the painting desk......

w3ait for me brother i have a banner that needs stiching, the blasted heretic guardsmen shot it all up again, bloody traitor scum

If I was just getting into the game and had both Dark Vengeance and the recent expansion I would think this was quite a nice idea and probably buy it. Maybe even use the rules, although I think the Crimson Slaughter forces are at enough of a disadvantage as it is.

The reality is that I'm an old sod who still thinks fielding more than three vehicles is a novelty and doesn't even know where to start with flyers, so I'm not spending my money on this gimmick. Probably. I mean, it does have Dark Angels in it... unsure.png

Just for fun I've tried to make a 1850pts list respecting the compulsory entries (but not the strict content of the boxsets)

Dark Angels : Dark Vengeance Dataslate

HQ

• Librarian (165 pts)

• Bolter/melta, Teleporting field, Psyker (lvl2), Divination
    • Terminator Armour
  • Company Master (140 pts)

• Artificer Armour, Mass of Rédemption
Troops

• Tactical squad(10) (240 pts)
  • Plasma Cannon, PG
  • Space Marine sgt : Bolter/PG
  • Drop Pod : Deathwind ML, Localization beacon
Elite

• DW knights (5) (535 pts)

• DW Land Raider Crusader : Multi-Melta, EA
  • Deathwing termis (5) (245 pts)

• Assaut Cannon, 1 CF
Fast Attack

• Ravenwing BK (5) (210 pts)

• 1Ravenwing GL
  • RW Darktalon (160 pts)

• Ravenwing attack squadron (5) (154 pts)
  • 2 Meltas
Total : 1849 points

Just for fun I've tried to make a 1850pts list respecting the compulsory entries (but not the strict content of the boxsets)

Dark Angels : Dark Vengeance Dataslate

HQ

• Librarian (165 pts)
    • Bolter/melta, Teleporting field, Psyker (lvl2), Divination
    • Terminator Armour
  • Company Master (140 pts)
    • Artificer Armour, Mass of Rédemption
Troops

• Tactical squad(10) (240 pts)
  • Plasma Cannon, PG
  • Space Marine sgt : Bolter/PG[*`]Drop Pod : Deathwind ML, Localization beacon
Elite

• DW knights (5) (535 pts)
    • DW Land Raider Crusader : Multi-Melta, EA
  • Deathwing termis (5) (245 pts)
    • Assaut Cannon, 1 CF
Fast Attack

• Ravenwing BK (5) (210 pts)
    • 1Ravenwing GL
  • RW Darktalon (160 pts)
    •  
  • Ravenwing attack squadron (5) (154 pts)
  • 2 Meltas
Total : 1849 points

you have no reliable way of fighting against tanks at long range, and you couldnt fend off a flyer to save your petty DT if your life depended on it. im not a fan of this list but it shows how difficult it would be to get this formation to work, it would be nigh impossible

Well it isn't that bad. The Crusader could be swapped for a standard raider to gain access to its two tl-lascannons (which is what I prefer to run personally anyway). DW assault cannon could be swapped for cyclone etc etc.

But as it stands it's a useful kickoff point from which to tweak. My main beef with the combo is the complete oversupply of HQ characters. And ones that don't change either DW Squad Elites or RW RAS Fast Attack into Troop choices which would have been very useful.

Cheers

I

Well, part of the problem of anti tank can be resolve by swapping the plasma of the tactical by a bunch of meltas (retentless MM is nice after all)

I also think I should give a termi armour to the company Master so that he can go with the DW squad (and therefore give him a combi melta too). I've forgotten that he can't go in the pod as there is no room left for him...

I prefer keep the crusader because it leaves the possibility to put the Librarian (or the compay master with them). More over, in v7 I've noticed that lascannons are not real tank killers...

While I think the formation is not very good.  I do think that in a friendly game it could be pretty fun.  This is my take on the formation at 1850.  At 2k I would add 2 more terminators and 1 more black knight so that they each had 7 guys just like the deathwing knight squad.  You could also change out the plasma in the tactical squad for meltas and multi-meltas.  Realy other than the dark talon and the knights having to walk after they land its not that bad.

Company Master - 175

Terminator Armor 

Mace of Redemption 

Storm Shield 

Librarian - 115

Terminator Armor

Lions Roar

Tactical Marines - 230

10 Tactical Marines

Plasma Gun

Plasma Cannon 

Vet. Sergeant 

Lightning Claw 

Drop Pod 

Deathwind Launcher 

Deathwing Terminator Squad - 255

5 Deathwing Terminators 

Plasma Cannon 

Chain Fist

Thunder Hammer and Storm Sheild

Deathwing Knights - 327

7 Deathwing Knights

Ravenwing Attack Squadron - 336

6 Ravenwing Bikes

Vet Sergeant 

Lightning Claw

2 Melta Guns

1 Attack Bike

Multi-Melta

1 Landspeeder

Typhoon Missile Launcher

Ravenwing Black Knights - 252

6 Black Knights

1 Grendade Launcher

Ravenwing Dark Talon - 160

The more I look at this formation the more I see how far off the mark it is. Why on earth would the writer think " hey you know what DAs really need is more special rules against chaos. No no don't put anything in there to improve the flyer that thing is already over powered."

Man I bought this dataslate, and yea it's not that expensive to buy but I was really hoping for more than this. It's almost... not even worth it. Being forced to take units is one thing, but this is nearly a mini-force org and for what return? And against one opponent codex?

It is just lazy, for better or worse rules wise it is a lazy option.

When they say "It's the thought that counts" when giving xmas or other gifts they mean that actual consideration is given to what the receiver might actually like. This  is  lazy.

Not happy stobz, not happy ( I wonder which Dwarf I am then :P )

sigh... disappointing. Aimed more for peeps who bought Dark Vengeance and the new Dark Angels box. Relentless would've been cool if we can take more than 1 tactical or if we can take devastators.

Ohhh well.

sigh... disappointing. Aimed more for peeps who bought Dark Vengeance and the new Dark Angels box. Relentless would've been cool if we can take more than 1 tactical or if we can take devastators.

Ohhh well.

it would also be nice on scouts, gdub drew the shortest straw they could of on us, i want a dataslate. and this could of been awesome. i want to encourage new dark angles to buy more than just paint and models. i want to recommend a supplement, or a datasheet collection out of more than just a technicality to give them flavor and options. and im not against using dv or the expansion pack in bits and pieces into manageable formations that would in fact be bloody awesome. i want to enjoy my codex the way other armies in 6th edition do. we are literally the most disrespected of all the 40k armies. you can make all the arguments you want for the sororitas; the sisters are literally the water girls of the army bench. but they at least made the tempestus to keep them company when their getting eaten alive by tyranids for the millionth time. you can argue the orks or the csm are disrespected but both of them have at least 1 codex supplement which adds piles of flavor to their army. we are literally the equivalent to the water itself in my above analogy. totally tasteless and devoid of flavor.

games workshop claims from the highest mountains this "forging a narrative" gospel from their mountain top to us mortals below. and if you want us to be fluffy, apocalypsy, kill teamy, campaigny, themed leaguey 40k tabletop players then give us ALL the tools to do it. not a select few. and imo the final nail in the coffin will be when the final 6th edition codex rolls off the assembly line. we will become the worst 40k army (next to only the tempestus) and that imo will be the final nail in our codecies coffin for a lot of new players, when we get stepped on by everyone. and then the pile of dark vengeance boxes on ebay will double if not triple in size. they have until then to proove me wrong. but as it stands, its not happening. 

i used to be a massive pc gamer guy (still game but ive gone total casual). whenever a game developer drilled a franchise i loved into the ground or a company closed (thq rip buddy) id watch something like this; i like expressing my emotions through videos some people find it annoying but its how i manage my stresses and frustrations. and here's one that expresses my sorrow for what i fear will be a crushing blow to our codex and its userbase:

update: the chaos formation is actually good, once again we are stepped on for the benefit of others :| im aware that the dark angels as an army are supposed to spin gold thread from tin wire but this is getting ridiculous. i am very much angry at games workshop right now.. i.. i cant do this. i cant believe they would step on us like this. if i could id use a lot of very angry words. if you dont mind me, im off to go raid the rocks celebratory ale and get so smashed that i will attempt to win a stareing contest with brother chaplain asmodai (and yes im aware he can stare blankly for weeks)

I've actually played with a Darktalon before and it's not THAT bad.  I wouldn't bring one now because it's an anti-infantry unit and I'd rather save my points for an Imperial Knight and save a FA slot.

Before Knights about a year or two ago I put one in a thematic RW list.  I had it fly above the command squad so it got the SoD bonus and it helped mince up and mob of Ork boyz.  This was before the new codex when everyone beat up on Orks, so I don't know how that would do now.  The other times I've brought it it's failed to come in on turns 2 or 3 and was basically pointless.  Never got to effectively use the bomb though.

This is how I used my Darktalon as well. However I was unsure how 'hover mode' worked for this flyer it's kind of worded weird so I could only use SoD for one turn.

Archived