Dark Angels on Advent Calendar tomorrow

HaSY

Tomorrow! I don't think any of the dataslates have been Apoc formations, and honestly GW hasn't really been pushing Apoc stuff outside of their last push with the 7th update.  Eager with anticipation!

Yes, it's Ezekiel leading 2-4 Librarians

Plus 2 special rules

Empyric Connection

and

Focussed Interromancy

Not sure if we can discuss these or not?

It's good there is no distinction for the librarians wearing terminator armour or not, it just says Ezekiel plus 2-4 Librarians.

Ok, well a quick review it is:

Empyric Connection:

Involves a connection between a nominated model in the formation and another. I'm assuming that due to the bonus this gives, that the nominated model should be of a level lower than the one connected to.

There is also a negative point to consider if using this, it affects other models use of psychic powers.

There is also another little bonus in that the nominated model (when making psychic tests) has a slight improvement to harnessing warp charge points.

The distance allowed between models is not bad.

Focussed Interromancy:

Involves mind worm and gives it a range increase.

I'll leave the rules dissection to more gaming orientated DA's msn-wink.gif​ but this download is really cheap, and I can see myself using it sometimes, especially as I have 3 librarians. Might even get 1 more now too.

Just finished downloading the mp3 'Holder of the Keys', it sounds pretty good so far...

Anyone heard the audio drama? Is that a good buy?

Edit: I am thrilled that this is a dataslate of slot-free HQs. I also note this is only the 3rd dataslate released this advent, two of which belong to us! (Leviathan doesn't count as it's not new content.)

So Thanks to GW for this!

I like the idea of sharing Prescience. Mind worm? Not too sure since it's a witchfire right? (been a while since I used it.) Last time I tried it, it had nearly no effect as my opponent would just Look Out Sir the desired results onto a peon.

I'm more looking at sharing Divination through a 36" drop pod shooty list.

+ passing tests a little easier is always nice. Not terribly useful but I could see giving it a test run with my Ez-Zeke Bomb lists.

I like the idea of sharing Prescience. Mind worm? Not too sure since it's a witchfire right? (been a while since I used it.) Last time I tried it, it had nearly no effect as my opponent would just Look Out Sir the desired results onto a peon.

IIRC, Mind Worm is a focused witchfire - can LOS! still push the hits onto a peon if it's focused? Still a great way of sniping powerfist or heavy/special weapon toting peons.

Focused just means you have the ability with the appropriate test result to target a specific model, but I've always just had my opponent laugh it off on a 2+.

Here's my question though because this is really annoying me lately.... Can I target a Flying Monstrous creature with it? If so, I imagine he can jink it? Kind of a crazy mental image, but since those flying wal-marts can't "Look Out Sir", I may try this.

Ok, so I just got it, and read through it.  I'm going to give this a "proceed with caution"

While it's leaps and bounds better than the "unrelenting hunt" there are some pros and cons:

Here are some points about it:

1.  2-4 Libbies + Zeke - That's pretty good since it expands the HQs and ICs on the board.  It doesn't seem to TAKE your HQ slot which means, unless I'm mistaken, that you'll have to take a proper Combined Arms detachment with ANOTHER HQ.  This means that a full loadout of Librarians + Zeke is going to eat up around 400+ points without upgrades/wargear.  The minimum still clocks in just south of 300 points with no upgrades.

2.  Shared Psyker Powers - With the changes of psychic disciplines, and getting the primaris for free, you could have a sort of Captain Planet style (author's note; can we also refer to this setup as such in future discussions?) ensemble that knows just about every psychic tree and has every primaris (not that they're all THAT great).  The downside of this is that if you invoke the rule, the other models nearby can't use theirs.  I'm trying to think what the benefit of this is since I don't think you can manifest more than one witchfire per psychic phase, so you wouldn't have Ezekiel just laserbeaming everyone to death.  The max we're talking here is, 16 psychic powers on one librarian.  Pretty ridiculous and you're also talking a minimum of 11 warp charges BASE.  

3.  Bonus to casting psychic powers, I love anything that makes psychic tests easier.  Again, downside is it's only for that model.

4.  Mind Worm buff -- this is actually pretty huge if you think about it.  If we recall my mathhammer post from a few months ago (6th ed) about how bad Mind Worm was, this is a needed update.  You need 2 warp charges to manifest a Focussed Witchfire on a target (it's a 1WC power) so with those passing on 3s instead of 4s you are significantly reducing that barrier of even casting Mind Worm.  Mind Worm's major issue is still the fact that it still needs 4 more rounds of dice to be successful (roll to hit, roll to wound, failed lookout sir, and failed invuln if applicable) against any reasonable target.

The whole "knowing all of the powers thing" I find interesting but also "what's the point".  What's really the difference between 4 librarians casting all those different powers as opposed to 1 librarian casting all of it.  I guess it's a roleplaying sort of approach, but the 3+ to pass is really the key.

Expensive formation, especially if you have to take a proper HQ in a proper combined arms detachment.

Yes I've just bought it and was reading it through.

I have the same thoughts on it as you SvenONE. My initial thought was to take as many Libbies as possible with as wide a spread of powers as feasible to create one 'super-Libby' within a 12" bubble.

The 12" thing is interesting as it suggests that they remain separate IC units and don't need to remain within 2" coherency. I was expecting them to essentially be a unit of Librarians. But that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

However - that doesn't mean they can wander off and attach themselves to other units because they can only be part of one detachment at any one time, meaning they'd lose the Conclave's special rules (by attaching to units in a different detachment). If I'm understanding it correctly of course <_<.

Nevertheless an interesting addition to the Unforgiven's toolbox all the same. And a cheap purchase !!

Cheers

I

Archived