Dark Angels on Advent Calendar tomorrow

HaSY

Yes I've just bought it and was reading it through.

I have the same thoughts on it as you SvenONE. My initial thought was to take as many Libbies as possible with as wide a spread of powers as feasible to create one 'super-Libby' within a 12" bubble.

The 12" thing is interesting as it suggests that they remain separate IC units and don't need to remain within 2" coherency. I was expecting them to essentially be a unit of Librarians. But that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

However - that doesn't mean they can wander off and attach themselves to other units because they can only be part of one detachment at any one time, meaning they'd lose the Conclave's special rules (by attaching to units in a different detachment). If I'm understanding it correctly of course dry.png.

Nevertheless an interesting addition to the Unforgiven's toolbox all the same. And a cheap purchase !!

Cheers

I

I don't think joining a unit from a different detachment removes you from the detachment you were in. I think detachments only really get decided during list building.

I know what you're saying but from any special rules pov then detachments and identifying which unit belongs to each becomes critical.

Page 121: Formations are special detachments.

Page 118: All units must belong to a detachment and can't belong to more than one.

Page 166: While an IC is part of a unit he counts as being part of that unit for all rules purposes.

So if Conclave Libbies attach to units then they become part of that unit - thus part of a different detachment surely (?).

I can't see the Conclave's buffs working across different detachments. But could be wrong.

Well, looks like I just found an excuse to paint Ezekiel and the 4 DV librarians I have sitting around. But, then I need a Drop Pod... oh well

Paul

Forgot to add....

Would have been happier with Ezekiel in TDA...

I know what you're saying but from any special rules pov then detachments and identifying which unit belongs to each becomes critical.

Page 118: All units must belong to a detachment and can't belong to more than one.

Page 166: While an IC is part of a unit he counts as being part of that unit for all rules purposes.

So if Conclave Libbies attach to units then they become part of that unit - thus part of a different detachment surely (?).

I can't see the Conclave's buffs working across different detachments. But could be wrong.

I think you are mixing up some of the rules here Isiah.  I can see the reasoning, but that wording of an IC becoming part of a unit is in reference for in game purposes.  They both still exist within their respective detachment/formation in terms of a list.  Otherwise you would get crazy stuff like if you take an allies formation, the second an ally joins a unit in your primary detachment they would become part of that detachment?  That would get all kinds of crazy things happening where a codex space marine becomes a dark angel or something if he joins a DA squad, and then you would just fall down a crazy rabbit hole of what army rules and things apply to them and whatnot.  Pretty sure thats not how it works but correct me if Im just totally wrong.

I see no reason why you cant split up the libbies into different squads from your primary CAD and them still benefiting from the formations rules, pretty sure thats kinda the point :)

Well for an allied faction, Battle Brothers specifically states that IC's can join allied units and share powers so I don't see why they couldn't.

Isiah, I think your point 2 is a little too literal:

Isiah, I think you might be taking this too literally.  I think this applies to list building.  For instance the Conclave Detachment has at a minimum Ezekiel and 2 Librarians, this means that to run the rest of your force legally (not unbound) you would require a standard Combined Arms detachment with ANOTHER HQ.  Ezekiel for instance cannot be the HQ in the Combined Arms AND the Conclave detachment.  

That's my misgiving about this dataslate since you're still going to have to bring another HQ.

Ezekiel, for instance, can not be the HQ in the Combined Arms AND the Conclave detachment.

I think that's what you actually meant to say, Sven.

thanks, edited for clarity! but yeah that's what i intended to say

Isiah, I think you might be taking this too literally. I think this applies to list building. For instance the Conclave Detachment has at a minimum Ezekiel and 2 Librarians, this means that to run the rest of your force legally (not unbound) you would require a standard Combined Arms detachment with ANOTHER HQ. Ezekiel for instance cannot be the HQ in the Combined Arms AND the Conclave detachment.

That's my misgiving about this dataslate since you're still going to have to bring another HQ.

I know all that :).

My point and what makes this interesting is that it is the formation that confers the buffs rather than being a tranferable rule of each individual model.

Does the formation exist when its specified units are attached to non-formation units?

@Syphid. There is a specific list of items that can be shared when Battle Brothers join together. But there is nothing about 'sharing powers' that I can see.

Cheers

I

units in a detachment are always part of that detachment, whether its a CAD or formation.  Joining units from different formations/detachments doesn't change that or make them lose whatever rules they have as part of that detachment.  Lib conclaves arent going to lose their formation rules for joining a tac squad, and the tac squad won't lose obsec for joining a different detachments IC (if they are part of a CAD in this example).

Isiah, I think you might be taking this too literally. I think this applies to list building. For instance the Conclave Detachment has at a minimum Ezekiel and 2 Librarians, this means that to run the rest of your force legally (not unbound) you would require a standard Combined Arms detachment with ANOTHER HQ. Ezekiel for instance cannot be the HQ in the Combined Arms AND the Conclave detachment.

I know all that smile.png.

My point and what makes this interesting is that it is the formation that confers the buffs rather than being a tranferable rule of each individual model.

Does the formation exist when its specified units are attached to non-formation units?

@Syphid. There is a specific list of items that can be shared when Battle Brothers join together. But there is nothing about 'sharing powers' that I can see.

Cheers

I

What I meant was that they can target and be targeted by psychic powers between detachments as they are Battle Brothers. Splitting up the Librarian Conclave and having them join other units and use their powers on those units is completely within the rules.

units in a detachment are always part of that detachment, whether its a CAD or formation. Joining units from different formations/detachments doesn't change that or make them lose whatever rules they have as part of that detachment.

Reread all rules and this is correct. I guess it would be a bit mad if it wasn't. Thanks for clarification and patience all :tu:.

You'll just have to forgive my crass stupidity :tu:

Cheers

I

Archived