Trying or dying with Deathwing at 1000 points

Brother Bahram

Playing Deathwing 1000 points is almost suicide, but what can you do when your friend wants to play?

When it comes to the Maelstrom scenarios we're screwed anyway.
It is only to realize it.
However hard I try with a clean Deathwing list so I land on three troops plus Belial.
Should I bring a Land Raider I end up just two troops (plus a dedicated transport).
But what do you think of two troops and a comand squad with FNP?
It is therefore sufficient 12 inches. Belial with DCSQ in the middle and a squad on each side walking towards the enemy?
Is it worth a try?

First turn DWA, with all the buffs that Belial's squad can pull plus the deep strike buffs.  Shoot up one enemy unit then march on for the next...  Or for a Malstrom mission DS one squad on the objective with the other two picking up whichever "kill the whatzit" cards you pull.

Please note that all in reserve units can now DWA at the same time.

No Raider.  Use DS and run in later turns as your mobility

I've run a few different lists at 1000pts. These are all based on Maelstrom tactics I used with them.

- Belial, 11 Termies (1 Cyclone, 1 Assault Cannon), standard Land Raider

5 Termies start in the LR for first turn protection then run up the field to the closest objective covered in enemy troops. the LR stays at home denying any objectives he might get and just firing it's Lascannons. Not a lot of people bring something to kill an LR in 1000pt games. Belial drops in with his no scatter killing more troops.

- Belial, 5 Command Squad Termies (SoF, Plasma Cannon), 10 Termies (2 Cyclones)

Drop all Termies within firing range of all his troops but within SoF range and focus on denying his objectives, picking any of urs up if you can. Aim for first blood.

- Belial, 13 Terminators (1 Cyclone, 1 Heavy Flamer), Ven. Dreadnought (twin-linked Heavy Flamer, heavy Flamer) in Drop Pod

Drop pod onto and objective close to enemy and fry some troops. Belial does the same. Cyclone squad drops near objectives on opposite end.

I've won and lost with both, around 50/50. Obviously its all about correct deployment and maximising damage on your alpha strike by removing as many objective secured troops as possible and going for first blood. My favourite list at the moment is the 3rd one with the heavy flamer dread.

I used Deathwing lately for 1k games... so far i'm using 2x5 Termies with Assault Cannon, Belial, and 2 Venerable Dreadnoughts. Usually i just add some weapons for the Ven dreads or add chainfists. It is not bad, but pretty hosed against Dark Eldar.... especially if the Dark Eldar player abused the deep striking raider mechanic where you can't mishap. 

Playing DW at 1000 points if nothing else is a fun-against-all-odds exercise.  

I've done Belial

Command Squad/Fort Banner/CML

2x DWC (Assault Cannon)

and that's 1,000 on the nose.

With the advent of Unbound, you could do an Inner Circle Bash:

Belial (TH/SS), DW Chaplain + Mace, DW Company Master + Monster Slayer, DW Librarian ML2 + Command Squad Fortitude/TH/SSx5 and have a super elite fallen hunting party

Playing a lot of Maelstrom and vehicles play a big part

Fast redeployment + plenty of scoring units makes Terminators hard to work with.

With Maelstrom getting off to a fast start means your opponent is forced into making the play and not hanging back

Dreads as backfield holding units have worked well for me but the terminators get out maneuvered then hosed down, also the amount of AP2 in my gaming group makes fielding them pointless unless they have storm shields

Archived