Chapter Relics, what do you use?

Lord Sesslec

The lions roar is incredible.

The Mace of Redemption is very nice for chaplains, especially in termie armor.

I want to see if I can get use out of the monster slayer on a reclusiarch on bike, but that will be iffy.

It seems the rest have been basically written off by our community.

I've used monster slayer a couple of times, but to me, the effects are too random to make it worth it...  of course, I always got tangled up against a wraith knight when using it so I really needed that 5+

I really like the shroud of heroes on a libby on bike with pfg.  gives him a little more survivability.  not really used much of the others.

If the Monster Slayer doesn't get a 6 when you need it then your faith in the Lion and the Emperor is too weak.

I use Foe Smiter frequently, but that's primarily because my favorite company master is modeled with a belt fed storm bolter mounted to his power fist. It's not bad, almost certainly overcosted by about 10 points, but that's a small enough tax that I don't mind taking it.

Mace of Redemption on a Librarian on a Bike,

Coupled with the Nerf grenade your now instant killing 3+ multi wound models without having to use Force, I've also used the Terminator box set champions weapon to model it.

Blind Concussive is useful as well.

As has been said Monster Slayer doesn't really seem like its worth it would give it a go if it were ap2

Foe smiter - well I've speeders modeled with 2 HB's for that job

The rest I've not really an opinion

Mace of Redemption on a Librarian on a Bike,

This is a good idea, and it works really well, unfortunately I have some sort of OCD WYSIWYG thing going on and my Libby on a Bike has an axe. And there is only one Mace of Redemption, and this guy has it tongue.png

http://i.imgur.com/z1Xocmm.jpg

The Mace of Redemption is a great weapon for it's price, it's my go-to on a chaplain or a company master.  If you're lucky enough to get the Furious Charge warlord trait, you're looking at an S8 attack or if you've got a RWGL that puts in you ID territory which is pretty nice.  Blind/Concussive is also pretty good.  A Knight Squad with a Terminator Chaplain was chewing through 2 Ork Boyz mobs and the combat was joined by a bunch of nobz on bikes.  Chaplain redirected his attacks to the Nobz and kept blinding them long enough for the Knights to finish up the boyz and turn their attention back to the Warboss.

Monster Slayer of Caliban I've tried to use but there aren't enough opportunities to present itself.  I've either gotten into combat and it's remained a power sword or I've gotten into combat only to be outmaneuvered for the rest of the game.  Coincidentally Belial's Sword is better at fighting actual Monstrous Creatures than this thing is.  If this thing cost 20 points, or even a proper 15 (only 1 character can have it anyway) I'd probably run an Artificer CM delivered with a squad of vets via drop pod with this.

Lion's Roar and Foe Smiter I've never had the interest in taking, but I know people do.  I don't think they're bad but frankly I couldn't care less about a one-time use plasma cannon, even if it is assault or causes blind.  Foe Smiter I just feel is too expensive and doesn't fit.  I don't want to give it to a non-terminator HQ because I don't want to lose my extra attack and I don't want to give it to a terminator HQ (the natural fit) because I want those points for a Mace of Redemption.  Maybe give it to a terminator librarian?

Shroud of Heroes.  Not even once.  I'd love to hear GWs argument on why it exists, how they intended it to be used, and why in the Lion's name did they cost it as they did.  Because to me it makes no sense.  It's insanity to let any of our HQs go out on their own, the only ones who COULD pull this off are bike HQs who for some reason need to speed across the map to get into combat, where ultimately their cover save will do nothing for them, and at that point cost you may as well just take Sammael.  This would be an awesome relic if we were say.... our space marine cousins who could make a shield eternal/armor bike Chapter Master.

I'd love to hear if anyone's used the shroud and how it worked, sadly I don't think anyone's ever used it in enough games to provide an accurate assessment, but I don't really think it's necessary.

I have used Lions Roar, its the only one I have used.  The rest seem too expensive for what they do.

Lions Roar is really entertaining on my librarian.  I have recently made a terminator librarian with this on the model.  I know it sounds obvious but the key is only firing the plasma cannon when you can kit something expensive (like groups of terminators/mega armour).  It actually has quite a lot of value if you DONT use it, to scare the opponent.   Weirdly for me, it seems scarier to my opponents than my four plasma cannon devastator squad.

For ten points more than a normal combi weapon, you need to be taking advantage of blind too. 

I've heard of people taking the Shroud on a bike chaplain with a Mace of Redemption and running him around picking on non assault units. Since your goal is to get into combat you get a 2+ jink save that isn't really going to penalize you. How it has worked out I don' know, but it would be a fun unit to play around with.

I dont see how a bike chaplain with the Shroud is a very good use of a chaplain IMO.  Surely you are including him for his unit boosting ability, something he can't use really on his own. 

Surely if you really wanted to use it, you would have it on a bike librarian?  So he can scoot about as a buff/weapons platform.

I have used the Monster Slayer a few times and found that it isn't reliable enough for its cost.  Also, not really interested in the Lion's Roar due to it being one shot, but I have been meaning to try out the Mace of Redemption one day when I am not using a named character.

I dont see how a bike chaplain with the Shroud is a very good use of a chaplain IMO.  Surely you are including him for his unit boosting ability, something he can't use really on his own. 

Surely if you really wanted to use it, you would have it on a bike librarian?  So he can scoot about as a buff/weapons platform.

the sort of twist is that the one person who it would be half decent for (company master) can't even take a bike.  So it's either a librarian or a chaplain on a bike who would take this, who most likely isn't going do go alone, not to mention they can take a 3++ invuln or 4++ group invuln for CHEAPER.

I have used the Monster Slayer a few times and found that it isn't reliable enough for its cost.  Also, not really interested in the Lion's Roar due to it being one shot, but I have been meaning to try out the Mace of Redemption one day when I am not using a named character.

Seriously, try the mace. My personal fav is on a company master with a storm shield and artificer armour, in a squad of DW knights in a Redeemer/crusader (depending on who you are facing), have some Black Knight hanging around with them and watch your opponents face as you say "That unit is now -1 toughness, and these guys are about to assault them out of a vehicle with two hurricane bolters/flamer goodness with +1 toughness because they are in base contact, oh and they are -1 Ap on their weapons because you are CSM, and my warlord does a crazy blind thing if he hits and did I mention everyone really dislikes Chaos Space Marines?".

Granted, it's a little situational, but even against non Chaos Space Marine armies it makes people pause and think again when you tell them what the mace and it's accompanying unit does.

Archived