Multiple upgrades on one model?

Is there any rule against taking multiple upgrades on one model, especially if the model's name changes from the upgrades? The specific case I'm thinking of is a command squad. What I want to do is take the five veterans, replace the bolt gun on all of them with a plasma gun (allowed per errata), give each a storm shield, and then upgrade one veteran to an apothecary with narthecium. According to a comment in the army list critique forum, I can't do this, but I'm not aware of any rule that says I would have to take the apothecary upgrade before any of the other upgrades. 

The previously accepted answer was that an apothecary (or similar) does not have access to those weapons so cannot be armed with them, regardless of what order you attempt to buy them in.

This is because as soon as the model becomes an apothecary, he is no longer a veteran. The army list states that a veteran may purchase the other upgrades you're after. As the model is not a veteran anymore, he may not purchase those upgrades.

A search of the OR will likely reveal the multiple previous discussions that have been had on this subject.

Archived