Steel And Doom - A Doom Legion blog.

AdamR

Hi all.

I was looking for a new project to paint having become burned out on black with my Raven Guard.
I was originally interested in Ultramarines until Midnight Runner of this parish told me that wasn't allowed, so I decided on a successor instead. Cue much wiki'ing looking for a colour scheme that I a) liked, and cool.png could make a fair attempt at painting - A chapter badge I could attempt to freehand would be a bonus too.

After a few test mini's, I finally settled on Doom Legion (even though I don't really like Dr Doom...) and painted up the ltd edition webstore captain to see how it looked.

Captain

I was pretty happy with how it turned out, but then I had something of a hiatus until last month due to a house move but now I'm back on it!

Next up was a tactical squad to join him. All of my Raven Guard had been forgeworld so this was my first chance to play with the new tac squad box, and I have to say I was really impressed.

I'm trying for kind of a 3rd ed vibe with these guys, so back banners on all my Sergeants, and I'm also trying to be very faithful to index astartes for unit markings.

Captain & Tacticals

Group shot with the as yet un-named Captain.

Tactical Marine w/bolter

Tactical Marine w/bolter & combat blade

Tactical Marine aiming bolter

Tactical marines.

Squad Leader

Squad leader for combat squads.

Heavy Bolter

Bolter Marine

Tactical Marines

Veteran Sergeant.

Sorry the pics aren't great - phone cam and no lightbox.

Absolutely brilliant. These pictures takes me back to the rogue trader rulebook for some reason. Maybe it's the dark and gritty feeling your fotos have, I don't know. I think you did them justice, and I enjoy the background too.

Aw, cheers guys!

Tactical Squad 2

Tactical Squad 2 Sergeant

Sergeant with Combi-plasma - Each sergeant is gonna have their own heraldry on their back banner, and individual marines also feature company colours (green for 4th company) on their left kneepad with some also featuring the companies chequerboard heraldry aswell.

group pic

Plasma gunner

Bionic Face

Plasmagunner with bionic face - I reckon if you use a plasmagun for any length of time, you're gonna end up like this!

Bolter marine

Bolter marine

Tac marines.

I've started work on a Command Squad for the Captain now.

Standard bearer, Apothecary and Champion I'm set on, but I'm still unsure how to equip the final two.
One will have a special weapon (currently a flamer) while the other will be a veteran sergeant with a powerfist and special weapon.

4th Company Standard WIP

4th Company Standard WIP

Standard bearer WIP - need to finish off the banner and his face, sword, parchment, gold - most things really!

Company Champion

Company Champion

Apothecary

Apothecary

Command Squad WIP

Group pic

Did some more work on the Standard Bearer - need to tidy up the lettering a bit, but I'm pleased with the way it's going!

Standard Bearer

Standard Bearer

Standard Bearer

Standard Bearer

Also started on the final 2 members of the command squad.
To stay "old school compliant" I had to have a vet sergeant, even though they're no longer really represented...

Command Squad Veteran Sergeant

Still quite a bit to do on this guy.

And the last member of the squad is a veteran brother armed with a flamer, and boasting some nasty facial scars.

Command Squad Veteran with flamer.

Group pic of how they look so far...

Command Squad.

Thanks for looking!
Next up I want to start my 3rd Tactical Squad, but I'm not sure how to equip them - I'm torn between combi-flamer/flamer or combi-melta/melta. Or should I mix and match? Regardless the Vet Sergeant is going to have the power fist from the sternguard vets box. The sternguard combi flamer with drum mag looks awful tempting too!

These are cool man, esp the banner, your pictures don't do them justice. You are crazy going for all them checks!! Were are the bases from?

Nice to see a little known Chapter get some love, will we be seeing some flufity-fluff?

Bases are snipped up floors from the manufactorum kit - I'm sure they used to be available on their own, but I can't find them on the webstore anymore. This may be an issue!

I'm sure there will be a fluffsplosion at some point. Working on character and squad names at the moment.  I'm currently thinking Captain Caestus of the 4th. I'm also thinking about addind a Storm Shield to him!

Anyway - construction is ongoing!

Chapter Master (no name yet - the CM in the short story Judgement was called Konstantos, but that story seemed to be set in the wake of the Abyssal crusade, so over 2000 years before the current timeline. Gives me some leeway I reckon.)

After good results with a similarly equipped Vladimir Pugh in a recent club campaign, I really wanted to go Burning Blade/Shield Eternal combo 

(or relic blade/shield eternal, or burning blade/storm shield if needs must), but staying all plastic - which is a self imposed restriction for this army.

He started off as a mix of Sternguard and multi part Captain kits...

Chapter Master WIP

Chapter Master WIP

But I was struggling on a flash enough storm shield. I had originally wanted to use the assault terminator sergeants shield, but all the bitz sites I tried were out of stock. Luckily Cretheus of this parish came up with a Deathwing Knights storm shield. Cue some cutting, filing, and the handle from a devastator melta bomb he was set!

DSC 0663

I've done most of the painting on him now, but I still need to finish of his cape and shield.

Chapter Master

Chapter Master

Chapter Master

Chapter Master

Next up - Honour Guard. At their new lower price I thought it would be rude not to field them. I'd gotten a Sternguard box, really just for the bitz, and was looking for something to use the bodies on, and this seemed ideal. They went very much style over substance, so they may not be the best loadout on the tabletop, but they should be able to hold their own.

I decided on a 4 man squad - 2 regular honour guard with swords, a champion with thunder hammer and a banner bearer with power axe. 

First up the two "regular" HG#

Honour Guard WIP

Honour Guard WIP

These guys were pretty straight forward, made with a combination of Sternguard and Command Squad sprues.

Next up was the Chapter Banner Bearer. I had a power axe put to one side for him, that I promptly lost, so ended up going for a Dark Angels power maul. The rest of it is again a mix of Sternguard and Command Squad.

Chapter Banner Bearer WIP

And finally the Capter Champion. I had to wait for a Death Company thunder hammer to come back into stock at Bitz Box, so for a while he looked like this...

Chapter Champion WIP

But not for long...

Chapter Champion WIP

Just before I started painting them I actually found the power axe intended for the standard bearer, so now they look like this.

Honour Guard

Honour Guard

Chapter Champion

Chapter Champion and Honour Guard

Honour Guard

Chapter Banner

Chapter Banner

Honour Guard!

I decided on no checks for the Honour Guard, as it was heraldry for the 4th Company.

Group pic with the (as yet unnamed) Chapter Master

Chapter Master and Honour Guard

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a new phone, so now that I'm camera re-enabled I can push on with this.

I have been pretty busy with real life over Christmas, but I've still managed to crack on with some more painting. Plus by better half got me some plastic crack, so there's more assemblage too...

I've always found vehicles more of a chore to paint than infantry, but I have to admit I quite enjoyed painting this drop pod. Especially as it was second hand so I didn't have to build it first (its certainly not my favourite kit to build.)

Drop Pod WIP

Drop Pod WIP

Drop Pod WIP

DSC 0004

I'm still perservering with old school hazard stripes for now. I seem to get best results from a yellow basecoat, then drawing on the stripes in pencil before going over in black, then shade and highlight. Seems to bea bit of a chore though.

To ride in it I've been working on Tactical Squad 3. My Raven Guard army has a couple of melta tactical squads in pods, so I thought I'd go the opposite direction for these guys and go Flamer/Combi Flamer.

DSC 0006

DSC 0008

DSC 0009

DSC 0016

DSC 0011

Still need to finish up the Sergeants face, then the rest of the squad.

Also I've assembled a 4 lascannon Devastator Squad and a 10 man assault squad using vanguard and regular ASM parts.

DSC 0018

Devastator Sergeant WIP

Assault Squad Vet Sergeant WIP

DSC 0017

Assault Sergeant WIP.

Lastly I've relented somewhat on my 3rd/4th ed only units and built a Storm Talon.
This was quickly painted last night so I could use it in the Doom Legions inaugural game tonight, so there's quite a lot to finish off.

Storm Talon WIP

Storm Talon WIP

I wanted the base to tie in with the rest of the army, so Sanctum Imperialis kit to the rescue.

Flying base.

Next up its assault marines and devastators. And Rhino's. And a Librarian. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hobby has taken a bit of a back seat the last couple of weeks as I've been busy IRL.

Started work on this guy though!

Librarian

But looking at the pic's I took of him, there is a huge amount of tidying up to do sad.png
Next up Devastators...

Looking good mate, I didn't like that scultp originally but it has grown on me.

As said, you got some great kitbashes going on too thumbsup.gif

Every time I see those checks on your bases though eek.gif must hurt your eyes when doing all of those!! They do look great however, and contrast well with the DL colour scheme and really make your army stand out.

• 2 months later...

Wow, I can't believe its been 2 months since I updated this... Real life really intervened!

Anyway we are starting a new campaign at the club I'm in (http://s13.zetaboards.com/FGC/index/ - PLUG) and one of the campaign special rules is Preferred Enemy: Unpainted, which gave me the impetus i needed to get my 1500 list finished.

So, sticking with my new but old school feel - Rhino's!

Rhinos

Rhinos

Rhinos

New Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

I can now attest that I don't like painting rhino gunners, and I am really fed up of painting checks!

Archived