What did Conquest bring for Knight Houses.

BassWave

It gives you a rang system for the different FOC choises. And each rang provides the Knight with a special rule that represent his function. And Special warlord traits-

Theoretically you can have 15 Knights in this FOC and a Titan as your Lord of War.

Edited by Dark Bjoern

Basically it amounts to bonuses or detriments to represent roles within a specific choice slot.

For example Fast Attack Ranks: (by assigning one of these ranks, it makes that knight a fast attack choice)

Scion Dolorous (costs a few points)

-Gives special rules that aid charges and sweeping advances, and also must charge "worthy foes" i.e. other knights, walkers or monsterous creatures.

Scion Ulan (free upgrade)

-gives them access to hit and run and other special rules but they have to subtract 1 from their front armor value

Most of the rank choices follow this pattern for troop, heavy, elite and HQ. 

One rank that costs points and gives you bonuses, One rank that is free and is (normally) the knights standard rules unaltered, and one rank that is cheaper (like subtract 25 points from the knights cost), and lowers stat attributes like Ws or Bs.

I have been making my way through it for the last few days, and there are a few other things that have yet to be mentioned that stand out. And yes, there is a ton of really great fluff in the books for the Knights. My favorite is reading about the Wraekan Dreor- who were a reaver house- some of whom went over to Horus, while others in the house basically maintained independence and functioned as outlaws during the heresy era. Their is an evocative description of one of these outlaw leaders:

"...this Magaera Armor bears the heraldry of Aerthegn Chieftess Aedalflae Redwroth, Aedalflae's warband was one of the few to spurn Horus's attempt to dominate their house, returning to the old reaving ways of the Wraekan Dreor"

I had recently purchased a 3rd knight and immediately decided to paint it as a Wraekan Dreor- cool red and black paint scheme...

A few things that haven't been mentioned yet. Unlike the 40K knights army, you can run a primary detachment with just two knights (1 HQ and 1 Troop)

Its an interesting list, since the ranks and the knight builds are separate. You can choose to make any knight chassis be any given rank. there are 11 different ranks, though one or two are pretty nominal...

HQ can be a Seneschal (like the one in the 40k list) or a Lord Scion (slightly less than a seneschal without the improved ++ save)

The Heavy Support one is pretty good- it give a knight tank hunter and if it doesn't move in its move phase it gets Skyfire for the turn. Would be excellent for a Styrix or Castigator

There are also a few small wargear options for the various knights. An optical upgrade that lets them re-roll ones on the d weapon or vehicle damage chart if they are in close range, also an option to take bio-corrosive rounds (aka poisoned) ammunition on their stubbers.

There's also a new Mechanicum special character magos (Archmagos Draykavac), who is included in the Knights army list. He can be taken as an HQ choice in a Knights or Taghmata list. If taken in a Knights list, he unlocks Castellax as optional Troops choices & Vorax as Fast Attack choices in a Knights list.

There are also rules/clarifications arround using Knights as either a Lord of War choice or Allied detachment. If taken as Allies, then the household ranks apply (so you need at least 1 HQ, 1 Troop). They do not apply if taken as a Lord choice.

There's also a new Mechanicum special character magos (Archmagos Draykavac), who is included in the Knights army list. He can be taken as an HQ choice in a Knights or Taghmata list. If taken in a Knights list, he unlocks Castellax as optional Troops choices & Vorax as Fast Attack choices in a Knights list.

There are also rules/clarifications arround using Knights as either a Lord of War choice or Allied detachment. If taken as Allies, then the household ranks apply (so you need at least 1 HQ, 1 Troop). They do not apply if taken as a Lord choice.

So i've used the Draykavac head on my Archmagos for the Will Rees old-school awesomeness and the cog-haloed skull motif and now you tell me his rules may work well for my Knights/Mechanicum army? (though i only have one Castellax right now and have been using two small units of Thallax as troops i did want to get some more Castellax eventually)? Sounds like i may well end up using the Draykavac miniature as a counts-as Draykavac! Lol!

So i've used the Draykavac head on my Archmagos for the Will Rees old-school awesomeness and the cog-haloed skull motif and now you tell me his rules may work well for my Knights/Mechanicum army? (though i only have one Castellax right now and have been using two small units of Thallax as troops i did want to get some more Castellax eventually)? Sounds like i may well end up using the Draykavac miniature as a counts-as Draykavac! Lol!

Have you put him in the abeyant, or kept that optional? His army list entry gives you the option of an abeyant or not, and up to four cyber-ocularis.

Have you put him in the abeyant, or kept that optional? His army list entry gives you the option of an abeyant or not, and up to four cyber-ocularis.

I put a small magnet in his base so he can easily go on the abeyant or not. I also magnetised the abeyant gun options too. I haven't decided about the cyber occularis that come with it though as the moulding alignment along the sides of the metal tendrils is rough and fixing it so far is seeing a fair bit of detail disappearing already.