Death Company Terminators Speculation

L30n1d4s

I am sure you have heard the rumors about possible Death Company Terminators. If this does pan out, they should be quite interesting.

On that note, what do you think their rules/wargear will be like? If they have all the same rules as current Death Company (Furious Charge, FNP, Fearless) they should be pretty interesting, especially if they can take a variety of close combat weapons (i.e. options beyond the normal Dual LCs or TH/SS loadout).

Thoughts?

GW are purging all entries without models for legal reasons. It's why the GK have only 3 special ICs and why Thawn and Mordrak were removed (and why GM is an upgrade), and why the BA will not get any new units that do not have a model. Fortunately every IC in the BA codex as a model so you wont lose anything at least.

GW are purging all entries without models for legal reasons.

What are the legal reasons?

The long of the short of it is third party companies (chapter house etc.) could make models for units that don't have an existing model such as the doom, spore pods etc.

With that lets keep it on topic shall we?

Surely having death company in terminator armour just ruins the point. Terminator armour is usually given to the chapter's best, to survive and fight muchc longer, and the death company are meant to die in battle.

Surely having death company in terminator armour just ruins the point. Terminator armour is usually given to the chapter's best, to survive and fight muchc longer, and the death company are meant to die in battle.

Assuming this whole rumour isn't just bottom gas.... 

Recovering Terminator armour after (and sometime during) battle is a standard practice for all chapters. Because the suits are so heavily built they are generally going to be in reasonable shape even after the squishy innards have been shredded, much like with a tank crew.

If we imagine this hypothetical Death company terminator unit typically being used as the vanguard for a massive assault, one where the chapter could recover the downed suits after, it's really not that crazy of an idea. 

It's probably not much more crazy than sending them into space hulks (making recovery potentially much harder) or using regular terminators to do the kind of do or die high risk job they excel at. 

Basically what I'm saying is sending terminators on suicidal missions is already common practice for most chapters, sending the guy's that want to die anyway would kind of make sense under certain circumstances. They wouldn't be for everyday but then neither are sanguard etc.

Is it really more of a risk of assets than a death company dread?

I don't really get why everyone's so squirrely about DC terminators. If you desperately need black terminators, there's plenty of chapters that have a paint scheme to fit that desire. Sorry I just don't see it. unsure.png

Snorri

I don't think its about the colour mate tongue.png It's about having a homocidal berzerker charging forward into a glorious slaughter in the name of primarch and emperor in the best and biggest armour and wepons he can be equipped with!

I don't really get why everyone's so squirrely about DC terminators. If you desperately need black terminators, there's plenty of chapters that have a paint scheme to fit that desire. Sorry I just don't see it. unsure.png

Snorri

I don't think its about the colour mate tongue.png It's about having a homocidal berzerker charging forward into a glorious slaughter in the name of primarch and emperor in the best and biggest armour and wepons he can be equipped with!

That's exactly why they wouldn't be given Terminator armour. Think about what Terminator armour is in 40k fuff; it's rare, revered and generally reserved for very specific tasks. You do not hand over a priceless relic to a madman whose purpose is to fight until he dies, usually by facing the toughest targets the enemy has.

Even though attempts to reclaim the armour would be made, the chance to collect it would not be anywhere near guaranteed and it may well be beyond repair by the time it is found, it takes a lot to kill members of the Death Company after all.

Blood Angels would value what Terminator armour remains perhaps more than other chapters given that they basically lost the first company before.

The only justification for a marine suffering from the Black Rage to be in Terminator armour is if he succumbed during battle.

Thankfully it looks like there's no danger of these 'rumours' (read: wishlisting) coming to fruition.

The difference there is that a DC Dreadnought was already a dreadnought when the pilot fell to the black rage. So they just paint his dreadnought chassis black and let him die in battle

It makes no sense to put DC in Terminator armour, as each suit is a relic and putting the in the hands of DC could risk the suits destruction

The difference there is that a DC Dreadnought was already a dreadnought when the pilot fell to the black rage. So they just paint his dreadnought chassis black and let him die in battle

It makes no sense to put DC in Terminator armour, as each suit is a relic and putting the in the hands of DC could risk the suits destruction

You still have a knackered dreadnaught chassis to recover and repair and dreads are even rarer than terminator suits. Presumaby they would be saved for "special occasions" as a result but that's exactly what I'm suggesting re:death co termies. 

I get what you are saying (that you are stuck with a death dread but actually have to choose to use termies) but now and again it might be a worthwhile move i.e. you are sending termies on a vital suicidal mission anyway, you have death company chaps who up for the job and were already expecting to loose the termies etc. etc.

Last stands are far from without prescident and under any such circumstances death co termies could be a boon to efficient use of resources not a drain. 

In a game where someone as reclusive and exclusive as Mephiston can appear in any army they wouldn't seen at all out of place to me either. 

Realistically though I just want something new and fancy from this release, so far it's been nothing I haven't kitbashed already (though I appreciate the convenience for future purchases)

So are dreadnoughts, yet they have a DC variant. You cant stop the onset of the Rage when you're wearing terminator armour, so there should be few, even if they go all Lone Wolfy because of how rare TDA is.

You dont put DC in TDA, they are in TDA when they succumbed, similar to the DCD.

Though they still stand proud, the Blood Angels are far from untouched by the creeping degeneration that afflicts their successors. The Chapter must work harder and harder to maintain its fighting strength, for new recruits are lost just as frequently to the Black Rage as are veterans. Meanwhile, more battle-brothers than ever are choosing glorious death over ignominious madness, their reckless sacrifices leaving those who remain spread thinner still. Worse is the intensifying of the Black Rage itself. Once the Chapter would lose perhaps a handful of battle-brothers to this phenomenon in any given campaign. Now it is not unheard of for whole formations to plunge into madness, and the struggle to replace them becomes more pronounced with each fresh conflict the Blood Angels face.

from here

You dont put DC in TDA, they are in TDA when they succumbed, similar to the DCD.

An angle I hadn't considered that could make more sense now I think about it. You're thinking a DCT unit would be something you "saved up" in stasis for really bad days much like DCD right?

Every so often someone goes all black rage in TDA and you lock him away with the others to wait. 

I think either could work (Chaplains can calm most long enough to suit up on the eve of battle I'm sure, they manage to keep them from rampaging before que and in the early stages Black rage is more delusional than psychotic anyway). But I like your thinking too. 

I keep seeing 'suicide mission' as a reason for dc terminators... the problem with that is if its that important a mission, how/why would you send a barely controlable bunch of madmen on it. Suicide, yes, but mission, no they'd most likely forget about it so fail in the single reason they're there at all.

I keep seeing 'suicide mission' as a reason for dc terminators... the problem with that is if its that important a mission, how/why would you send a barely controlable bunch of madmen on it. Suicide, yes, but mission, no they'd most likely forget about it so fail in the single reason they're there at all.

Mission could be: Dinobots: destroy Devastator. Death Company: Kill that hive fleet.

It's a mission that they, or anyone else would probably die on. And the Death Company will have a damn good go at it.

Other examples are: Space Hulk mission one. Bloodquests, the penitent mission Dante was on when the Sanguinor intervened to save them from the suicide mission.

Archived