New list thoughts....

Morticon

Its still early, and the info isnt fully out yet- but that doesnt stop thinking, speculation and brain-storming.  (especially not if we have the SM dex to work costs off of) 

I will DEFINITELY have a return to jump pack marines (ironically, since people are crying about invalidated jump armies) and I think they have more potential now than before. 

This is what i've thrown together at 1850 (just off top of my head).

Libby -  lvl2, JP Relic  

Corbulo

8x Sang Guard - Fist, IP

8x DC  - Fist, JP

10x TAC - HF, MG, P.Sword (yay return of the humble sword!) and Vet. 

Rhino

5x TAC - Grav 

Razor - Las/Plas

5x TAC - Grav 

Razor - Las/Plas

10x ASM - 2MG, Fist, Vet

10x ASM - 2MG, Swd or Claw, Vet

2x Attack Bikes - MM

SOOOO much stuff and new stuff.. GWAAARRR *drools*

Looks eerily like the lists I've been running since 3rd, except I have smaller squads as I play at 1500. And dont have razors.

I havent had time to catch up on rumour, but if this is the case, my army may have gotten a power boost!

There are just so many different list ideas going through my head, I just can't make up my mind. Seriously, I am just so excited about this codex. My collection is going to go through the roof because of all the options - it's already almost doubled!!!

Rejigged list. By no means all comers, tailored for my local meta

Using 'The Detachment' (can't remember what it's called !)

Astorarth

15x DC

5x DC

5x DC

5x DC

5x Tacticals, Razorback w/ Assault Cannon

5x Tacticals, Razorback w/ Assault Cannon

3x Bikes w/ 2x Grav Guns

3x Bikes w/ 2x Grav Guns

3x Bikes w/ 2x Grav Guns

1429pts, room for 70pts worth of punchy stuff for the 15 strong DC squad.

Death Company and Sanguinary Guard will definitely be featuring heavily in my future although I am mulling over HQ choices at the moment.

Astorath is an obvious choice to lead a large Jump Pack DC unit but I am wondering if he is overkill given that they can probably bring down most opponents through weight of attacks (especially on the charge).

A Sanguinary Priest to lead the Sanguinary Guard seems like a good option. Without an invulnerable save they are still a little fragile and FNP will help protect the investment.

Dante is an absolute beat-stick and just cries out to be included. Maybe I need to save him for games of 1750 and above.

A want to include a Stormraven simply for rule of cool. Plus it provides some decent AA and ground attack ability. Might put a cheap Scout squad in for late-game shannanigens.

My big dilemma at the moment is including enough melta and grav weapons in the army. Assuming I stick to a single detachment, bikes look like the best grav platform with 2 gravs and a combi grav on the sergent. Putting gravs on infantry seems inefficient due to the reduced firepower when moving and even a command squad can only take 3. The bike squad would put out the same firepower (more on the turn the serg uses his combi-grav) on a tougher platform.

For melta we are spoilt for choice, I am just try to pick the best option. I still have some MM attack bikes which may be old-fashioned but still do the job. I could even chuck one in the bike squad without diluting their role too much. I have some infantry with BP/CCW so I could make up a couple of 5-man assault squads with dual, meltas, 2 infernus pistols and drop pods. That would give me a decent alpha strike capability.

Lastly I have enough parts to make up a SG squad with infernus pistols. They cost 50 points more than the assault squads in pods and cannot alpha strike but I do get a considerably more powerful unit as a result. If the DC and a large SG unit are drawing the attention, maybe a smaller unit can follow in their shadow ready to deal with armour. There is only so much AP2 most armies can put out.

Its still early, and the info isnt fully out yet- but that doesnt stop thinking, speculation and brain-storming.  (especially not if we have the SM dex to work costs off of) 

I will DEFINITELY have a return to jump pack marines (ironically, since people are crying about invalidated jump armies) and I think they have more potential now than before. 

This is what i've thrown together at 1850 (just off top of my head).

Libby -  lvl2, JP Relic  

Corbulo

8x Sang Guard - Fist, IP

8x DC  - Fist, JP

10x TAC - HF, MG, P.Sword (yay return of the humble sword!) and Vet. 

Rhino

5x TAC - Grav 

Razor - Las/Plas

5x TAC - Grav 

Razor - Las/Plas

10x ASM - 2MG, Fist, Vet

10x ASM - 2MG, Swd or Claw, Vet

2x Attack Bikes - MM

SOOOO much stuff and new stuff.. GWAAARRR *drools*

Rhino instead of pod for the 10man tac for target saturation, because of the 2 razors? Arent 4 fast movers and 2 razors enough? a pod would give some nice utility and it can land on objectives. Also IMO DC with the changes always with 2 fists.

Corbs in razor didn't work for me that well. Tacs [oddly] get used rather aggresive and me not wanting to give up on corbs offten ended with missed opportunities. But it could also me being a chicken and going for dual libby build.

What do you think about runing one RAS at 5 man just with melta[kind of a doubling what the bikes suppose to do and supporting the 5man tacs] and using the points to get an inquisitor or buffing the DC

Yup :) But leave your Warhound at home.

I can live with that, thanks! :D

Trying to decide if there is a role for Sternguard in the new army. I don't have any currently but I have a whole load of old tactical squads I don't want to make look shabby by getting the new version. On the other hand, the new BA box is sufficiently blinged-up to make very nice Sternguard.

To me, it looks like Sternguard work best when kept cheap to make the most of their special ammo. Maybe a couple of combi-weapons but broadly everyone gets to keep a bolter of some kind. Put in a Rhino or maybe a Land Raider for protection on turn 1 and then deploy them into a good firing position (prefferably with some cover) and let them go dakka!

Hang on. Dante is a Lord of War. Does that mean I can take him and still take Astaroth and a Priest as my 2 HQ choices?

I have to admit, for large games I have been mulling over a combination of Dante/Priest and Astorath or Librarian.  Of course I really want to use the Librarian Furioso too...

Yup :) But leave your Warhound at home.

I can live with that, thanks! :D

Trying to decide if there is a role for Sternguard in the new army. I don't have any currently but I have a whole load of old tactical squads I don't want to make look shabby by getting the new version. On the other hand, the new BA box is sufficiently blinged-up to make very nice Sternguard.

To me, it looks like Sternguard work best when kept cheap to make the most of their special ammo. Maybe a couple of combi-weapons but broadly everyone gets to keep a bolter of some kind. Put in a Rhino or maybe a Land Raider for protection on turn 1 and then deploy them into a good firing position (prefferably with some cover) and let them go dakka!

stenguard are a swiss army knife! That being said, they are excellent in a pod with combi melta (less so now that combi weapons are more expensive) Do an 8 man squad, 4 combi melta... maybe a heavy weapon to taste, something like that.

What do people see in Corbulo? 

Is it just the desire to use new rules, or some kind of combo I'm not getting?

Seems expensive for what he does. 

Well, at least 1 rumor I saw said he has a +1 WS/+1 I/FNP bubble.  

The +1 initiative all the time is nice.  Isn't too expensive either.

yeah about the same cost as an old sternguard squad, for a 6" +1WS/INIT bubble, I don't think the FNP is a bubble though (as it comes from a narthecium still rather than the red grail artifact).

down side is it requires you bunch stuff up more to get them into that bubble, but brutal as it means you keep going first, meaning in CC against most enemies, you'll always be taking less attacks back (whereas the detachment rule is only on the charge)

What do people see in Corbulo? 

Is it just the desire to use new rules, or some kind of combo I'm not getting?

Seems expensive for what he does. 

Perma +1 init and Perma +1WS in a bubble is incredible.  Strike before most, strike more often. 

Man, making a list is tough. So much I want to do which is a good problem to have although only having 2 troop choices bugs me. I always preferred a mix of mech and drop pods. Here's what I came up with.

Dante

Priest -JP 
Libby -lvl2

10x TAC -HF, MG, Rhino
10x Scouts -Sarge, CCW

10x DC -Swd, Fist, Pod
Fraguiso -Pod 

Raven -AC, Hurricane
Baal -AC, HB
Baal -AC, HB

9x ASM -Sarge, Claw, 2 MG, Pod
5x Bikes -2Grav, MM Attack Bike

2000ish

Dante and the Priest with my bikes for my deathstar. Never used grav bikers so I don't know high viable this would be. Hit and Run on Dante ensures they don't get locked in combat. Libby drops with the ASM. Scouts go in the Raven. Thoughts?

Man, making a list is tough. So much I want to do which is a good problem to have although only having 2 troop choices bugs me. I always preferred a mix of mech and drop pods. Here's what I came up with.

Dante

Priest -JP 
Libby -lvl2

10x TAC -HF, MG, Rhino
10x Scouts -Sarge, CCW

10x DC -Swd, Fist, Pod
Fraguiso -Pod 

Raven -AC, Hurricane
Baal -AC, HB
Baal -AC, HB

2000ish

Dante and the Priest with my bikes for my deathstar. Never used grav bikers so I don't know high viable this would be. Hit and Run on Dante ensures they don't get locked in combat. Libby drops with the ASM. Scouts go in the Raven. Thoughts?

Dante and bikers together will make for a very nice target. Perhaps you could get run him with the assault marines instead, and you seem to have a FA slot to spare, consider running the MM AB separate. Perhaps you could even trim the numbers on that bike squad and take two. 

Dante

Priest -JP 
Libby -lvl2

10x TAC -HF, MG, Rhino
10x Scouts -Sarge, CCW

10x DC -Swd, Fist, Pod
Fraguiso -Pod 

Raven -AC, Hurricane
Baal -AC, HB
Baal -AC, HB

2000ish

Dante and bikers together will make for a very nice target. Perhaps you could get run him with the assault marines instead, and you seem to have a FA slot to spare, consider running the MM AB separate. Perhaps you could even trim the numbers on that bike squad and take two. 

Agreed, but If I move Dante to the Assault Squad l'd lose a pod and I want to make sure I'm dropping 2. Hmm... 

Dante

Priest -JP 
Libby -lvl2

10x TAC -HF, MG, Rhino
10x Scouts -Sarge, CCW

10x DC -Swd, Fist, Pod
Fraguiso -Pod 

Raven -AC, Hurricane
Baal -AC, HB
Baal -AC, HB

2000ish

I'd suggest trimming out the Attack bike and replacing the 5 man bike squad with 2 squads of Gravbikers.  They're still a nice spot to hide Dante for the first turn, but by turn 2, I'd be looking to shove him and the priest in with the Death Company.  While you do want Hit and Run to get the bikers out of combat, you're losing out on so much that Dante does by keeping him babysitting a midrange shooting unit.

The other option might be trimming the bikers to 3 guys with 2 gravy guns and splitting off the attack bike.  Spend the points saved on the two bikers and add a second MM attack bike to the one removed from the gravy gun squad.

Archived