Trial by Blood question.

Reldn

Greetings all. I recently finished reading my copy of "Trial by Blood". An excellent book and a highly entertaining read, but, I noticed one thing that stuck out and is puzzling me a little bit:

During the course of Seth's trial one of the recounted tales is of the Stromark Massacre which appears to have occurred in 991.M41. So his trial is apparently anywhere from 991 onwards. However,

Malakim Phoros of the Lamenters is at the trial as well. He and his chapter should still be on penitent crusade at this time, and getting close to possibly being lunched by 'Nids. So, I'm unsure if this is just a minor oversight, or if there's something else going on regarding the Lamenters.

I read it and thought it was an interesting crossroad of events.

In the James Swallow books (and current timeline), Seth and the other successors essentially put Dante on trial in regards to whether or not they would allow the Blood Angels to tithe marines and geneseed, to make up for their losses during the civil war. I thought that Seth's actions showed a growth and maturity that might have seen him making good on his promise to bring the Tearers full circle.

Which made it all the more interesting to see him down in the pit for Trial, under scrutiny. Don't get me wrong, I thought the narrative hook of a trial for Seth was on point, but it should have been done right after their bout with the Wolves at Honour's End, not at two minutes to midnight current timeline. It's sad that the trial itself was like a total of 15 pages long... I love the interaction between the Chapter Masters, and is just so uniquely Blood Angels.

The back and forth between the two author's narratives does make Seth seem like a bit of a pinball, but his themes remained unchanged.

I assume the trial here takes place less than a year before current timeline, before the Tyranids and Daemons on Baal, but after the Lamenters get crushed by Kraken.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about the Trial segments of the book, I loved those parts and really wished they had been longer.

As to the timeline, that's all I can come up with as well, that somehow either the Lamenters have already been taken out and somehow Malakim has limped back and was taken in despite the Penitent Crusade, or due to the possible time of the trial (and true to the Lamenters' luck) they leave the trial and immediately afterwards get eaten.

Greetings all. I recently finished reading my copy of "Trial by Blood". An excellent book and a highly entertaining read, but, I noticed one thing that stuck out and is puzzling me a little bit:

During the course of Seth's trial one of the recounted tales is of the Stromark Massacre which appears to have occurred in 991.M41. So his trial is apparently anywhere from 991 onwards. However,

Malakim Phoros of the Lamenters is at the trial as well. He and his chapter should still be on penitent crusade at this time, and getting close to possibly being lunched by 'Nids. So, I'm unsure if this is just a minor oversight, or if there's something else going on regarding the Lamenters.

Contact was lost in 992.M41. So while very slim, the trial could be within that gap. Or contact could have been reestablished.

Also, Penitent Crusades are weird. Technically they are not "do not have Imperial contact" so much as "make sure you keep fighting until you can no longer live and do not ask Imperials for aid."

As a result, ot means that if all of the IX Legion successors were called to Baal, the Lamenters could say yes.

Archived