Scouts - The other red meat?

Joasht

Scouts have always had an unusual place in my BA-loving heart, probably due to the fact that they were slightly abusable back in 3rd and the WD dex since they effectively gave you more DC at cheaper prices.

Nostalgia aside, I was fairly disappointed to hear that the new dex doesn't come with LS Storms (which is fairly strange, given that we are reverting to a more Codex Astartes-based structure).

I've had some success with Snipers in the past, but they are inherently less valuable on the move - and you often want your Troops to be able to get places to contest and score. With FC being standard, along with +1I on the charge, I'd imagine close combat Scouts are worth something. Plus, even though we don't get the sweetness of the LS Storm, it does appear, that we do get Rhinos as a FA choice (and could hypothetically always take some transports from SW allies).

That said, what are your thoughts on Scouts? Will you be taking them, or sticking to Tacticals? Or perhaps, even the Troop-choice DC and DC Dreadnought that came with Deathstorm's dataslates?

Thanks!

In my opinion... here is what we will see:

• Cheap bolter scouts used as cheap replacement tacs, especially in lists where you want a cheap Troops choice to unlock the Blood Angels Detachment.
    • ESPECIALLY riding in a storm raven. Give the storm raven some objective grabbing content, but cheap enough that you aren't too messed up if the raven crashes. Also, Move Through Cover means that they don't take dangerous terrain tests if they scatter when they leap out the back!
  • More expensive sniper/camo scouts providing fire support.

I seriously doubt we will see commando scouts (bolt pistol/chainsword). Without a land speeder storm to deliver them - and with so many tastier assault options in our codex - they remain a lackluster option.

In my opinion... here is what we will see:

• Cheap bolter scouts used as cheap replacement tacs, especially in lists where you want a cheap Troops choice to unlock the Blood Angels Detachment.
    • ESPECIALLY riding in a storm raven. Give the storm raven some objective grabbing content, but cheap enough that you aren't too messed up if the raven crashes. Also, Move Through Cover means that they don't take dangerous terrain tests if they scatter when they leap out the back!
  • More expensive sniper/camo scouts providing fire support.

I seriously doubt we will see commando scouts (bolt pistol/chainsword). Without a land speeder storm to deliver them - and with so many tastier assault options in our codex - they remain a lackluster option.

Actually CC scouts may end up being pretty solid given the initiative and FC bonuses that Blood Angels will have.  No storm, but they can still infiltrate which can help threaten the early game pretty well.

That said, what are your thoughts on Scouts? Will you be taking them, or sticking to Tacticals? Or perhaps, even the Troop-choice DC and DC Dreadnought that came with Deathstorm's dataslates?

Scout bikers man, overlooked unit in general and BA in particular.

Scout Bikers aren't troops though, unless that has changed....

I'm more talking about troop choices, to fill in the requisite slots, and for objective secured.

Scouts with camo cloaks and sniper riffles are fantastic, a unit I abuse in many games.  They can do just about anything, other than kill things, they absolutely suck at that.  I mean seriously, I have gone entire games with a ten man scout squad not taking out a single model, I am normally happy if they can manage a single kill.  Sure there are matches where they force a key pinning check and the guy actually fails it, but that is sadly rare.  The odds are just against these guys doing damage, 50% chance to hit, 50% chance to wound, minus average armor saves just means ten of them are likely to wiff hard.

What they are fantastic for, is absorbing fire.  I mean its insane how much firepower people will direct towards scouts, for like no apparent reason.  You move them forward into some terrain around an object in the middle.  They see a threat (for reasons I cannot fathom) and shoot like mad at them.  With camo cloaks they can absorb even a demolisher round without flinching.  Place an assault squad near them and people will be afraid to charge them for fear of retribution unless they can come in with overwhelming force, leaving other objectives open.  Of course there is always the bonus of them charging the scouts and you getting to wipe whatever squad did it.

My only problem is, I think people in my gaming group are starting to catch on.  Especially after last week when an Eldar player fielded ten rangers and I completely ignored them, which was the main reason my team won.  It was big guns never tire, and we forgot to throw out any objectives or really anything.  It was a mess, but there was no reason to waste any time on them.  They shot non stop for five rounds and did not manage a single casualty.

I always toss in a missile launcher with my scouts, that will on occasion prove useful.  Oddly, I have used this tactic outside my normal gaming group, it seems to be pretty universal that people will waste fire on scouts.  So take advantage and keep your useful troops alive.  I am interested to see if the close combat scouts are effective in this edition.  In third I would use them for mop up duties, of course at four scouts that was about all you could use it for (Five, but normally one would fall to the black rage and get in on the death company party).  But back then a squad had to have at least half its starting number in order to be scoring, now, so long as one is alive he can score.  So it could get interesting.

How about throwing 10-12 close combat scouts in a Storm Raven? Since we need to fill troop slots, seems like a descent way to overrun an objective turn 4-5. They should be able to wipte most minimal troop units holding objectives, only 11 points per model. For maelstorm there always the option of combat squadding them. 

My Scouts were retired in 5th as I had better uses for the Elite slots but now they are back in the Troops section, I may well dust mine off. I have 2 large units of metal scouts (showing my age here), 1 with sniper rifles and the other with BP/CCW and a PF sergeant for kicks.

I can see both units have more bang-for-buck than Tactical squads. MCs seem to be popular in my area with big Carnifex broods and multiple Wraithknights being the order of the day so Sniper scouts should be a solid choice. The assault Scouts will probably go in the Storm Raven. I plan to add one with lascannon multimelta to act as either AA or harrassment. If I manage to neutralise enemy air then they can jump out late game to chase support units off objectives.

My Scouts were retired in 5th as I had better uses for the Elite slots but now they are back in the Troops section, I may well dust mine off. I have 2 large units of metal scouts (showing my age here), 1 with sniper rifles and the other with BP/CCW and a PF sergeant for kicks. I can see both units have more bang-for-buck than Tactical squads. MCs seem to be popular in my area with big Carnifex broods and multiple Wraithknights being the order of the day so Sniper scouts should be a solid choice. The assault Scouts will probably go in the Storm Raven. I plan to add one with lascannon multimelta to act as either AA or harrassment. If I manage to neutralise enemy air then they can jump out late game to chase support units off objectives.

The only codex where they were elites was the PDF Codex, they have been troops again since our last codex came out.  Which I am pretty sure was fifth edition.  It was fourth edition for the scouts as elites nonsense.  Your scouts have been languishing based on a false premise. 

I've not got any scouts in my Blood Angels force, but I can vouch for them being a ridiculous fire target in Ultramarines too. Not a great unit to kill with, but they make a fantastic and durable distraction, that may bog down some key enemy units.

It's very rare to see any Blood Angel scouts, I think there's a missed opportunity there for objective camping,especially now with tri-flame tacticals getting even closer and dirtier with the enemy.

Take-home lessons for me:

• Finish building and painting the other five sniper scouts.
  • Get some bolter scouts (for a more mobile unit).
  • Get some scout bikers (they sound awesome).

I still think that commando scouts sound underwhelming. Maybe in real life they'd do fine, but I still think I'd rather invest my close combat upgrades on something more... awesome.

I'm going to get some CC-scouts, infiltrate them and smash in faces with their S5, I5-charges.

Adding IC's prevents them from Infiltrating, so not sure if I want that.

Have pod riding or jp dropping hq come in nearby, then if it makes sense for them to they can join units pre charging.

Scout Bikers aren't troops though, unless that has changed....

I'm more talking about troop choices, to fill in the requisite slots, and for objective secured.

Just remember that you won't get Objective Secured if you want to also get the +1 Initiative on the charge.

Archived