Question re: Raphen's Death Company

Nicodemus Doloroso

I ordered a copy of the Deathstorm Shield of Baal supplement off eBay, but I want to start building my Squad Raphen before it arrives.

To those who have the supplement, can you give me a quick summary of what the fluff is behind Raphen and his squad? I want to do a bit of a kit bash to represent Raphen so I can easily tell him apart from other DC. I believe he has an extra attack, but anything else special about him? Is he the one armed with a thunder hammer in that squad?

I'm thinking of maybe painting up a Sanguinary Guard model in black to make my own successor chapter's "counts-as Raphen", with the story being that he is a Sanguinary Guard who fell to the Black Rage (hence the extra attack).

Thanks. I actually just stumbled across an image of their datasheet, so I see they've got a power fist, power sword, and infernus pistol in that squad alongside Raphen's hammer. Not exactly optimal, but possibly worth the trade-off for being able to bring them as troops. At the local tournaments I attend, it would both save me composition points AND free up an elite slot -- possibly used to buy Lemartes and attach him.

I hope I am correct that Raphen's Death Company can be taken in any Blood Angels army, not just the Deathstorm formation?

Thanks, brothers.

What do you think of my idea for kitbashing my own "counts-as Raphen" for my successor chapter. Is a Sanguinary Guard falling to the Black Rage acceptable fluff-wise? Would they just paint his armour black, or would they pull him out of the artificer armour and put him into regular power armour? The fluff/model for Captain Tycho tells me that this could all be possible but would like your thoughts.

I think it is easily plausible I think that the artificer armor bit is an interesting thought I say model it that way but I think they wouldn't keep the death mask and he would have different weapons as the encarmine blades (whatever they have been renamed) are probably not left in the hands of a madman

I think it is easily plausible I think that the artificer armor bit is an interesting thought I say model it that way but I think they wouldn't keep the death mask and he would have different weapons as the encarmine blades (whatever they have been renamed) are probably not left in the hands of a madman

Fair enough -- Raphen is armed with a thunder hammer anyway so I would model him that way. I was thinking of keeping the Angelus boltgun though to represent his bolt pistol.

I agree they would take the death mask (if he had one) so I would just use a normal SG helmet or one of the DC ones.

I will give him DC shoulder pad instead of SG as well.

My plan is to use the SG arms that are grasping the double-bladed axe in two hands, then chop off the axe blades and put the DC thunder hammer head where the blades were.

EDIT: I think I will give him a regular DC jump pack though and save the winged pack for a character -- so in my army only people like the chapter master, chaplains, librarians, and sanguinary priests (plus SG) have those winged backpacks.

• 3 weeks later...

My plan is to use the SG arms that are grasping the double-bladed axe in two hands, then chop off the axe blades and put the DC thunder hammer head where the blades were.

Not for the same reason but I just chopped the end off the DC hammer for one handed use (well ard) so I could give him a relentless bolter. This also means you could use the DC hammer and arm and just use it on SG body

In the fluff he was a captain before he fell I believe. Not that it really matters. Looks great smile.png

That's okay, because this isn't actually Raphen of the Blood Angels, it's my "counts-as" Raphen -- Rafael of the Angels Sorrowful. smile.png

I'm wondering why more people don't run them? Its a pretty solid DC unit as troops.

I've got the supplements but haven't had the time to read them yet, so what's the catch?

They seem like a good alternative for keeping down troop costs.

I think the catch is that you have to take them exactly as they are presented in the supplement, which is not a optimal load-out. Everyone bar one member of Raphen's death company has a special weapon so there are inefficiencies there but personally I think it is worth the trade-off of being able to bring them as troops. Especially if you're trying to run a jumper-style list.

In the fluff he was a captain before he fell I believe. Not that it really matters. Looks great smile.png

That's okay, because this isn't actually Raphen of the Blood Angels, it's my "counts-as" Raphen -- Rafael of the Angels Sorrowful. smile.png

I'm wondering why more people don't run them? Its a pretty solid DC unit as troops.

I've got the supplements but haven't had the time to read them yet, so what's the catch?

They seem like a good alternative for keeping down troop costs.

I think the catch is that you have to take them exactly as they are presented in the supplement, which is not a optimal load-out. Everyone bar one member of Raphen's death company has a special weapon so there are inefficiencies there but personally I think it is worth the trade-off of being able to bring them as troops. Especially if you're trying to run a jumper-style list.

True. Only one is bare bones without special weapon but still, they pretty much are kit like I always run my 5 DC just not the power sword. Not optimal but its lots of fun and covers all the bases and make opponentr fidget very nervously... And Raphen with Lemartest is troop choice + elite. And not just two elite slots which is huge bonus.

Archived