Let's talk about the Storm Raven, again

appiah4

Now that there's a new codex out, and that the Storm Raven has been somewhat nerfed with the loss of Blood Strike missiles, I figured it might be a good idea to discuss this unit again.

As a gunship, the Blood Strike missiles pretty much filled the unit's long range AA purpose so we could concentrate the hull mounted and turret mounted weapons on things that better hurt other things, like infantry (assault cannons), heavy infantry (Plasma cannons), or armor (Multi-Meltas).

But with only Storm Strike missiles, I think the thing now needs decent long range high S  weapons to engage in bot AV and AA modes.  Therefore, I've decided to model my Storm Raven Gunship with a TL Lascannon and Typhoon Missile Launchers.  To make the points, I'm planning on removing the Hurricane Bolters, which should become pretty obsolete considering what it carries: a Tac squad with  HF, Flamer, Combi-Flamer Tac squad that will be let loose on enemy Troops once the air superiority is achieved.

What do you plan to do with your Storm Raven?  Have your use or expectations also changed with the new codex?

With the troop diversity reduction I'm planning on trying the minimum 2 scouts, one of them in the raven (5 man bolters). I'll leave the loadout as TLAC and TLMM, but I mostly play against nids and volume is more important than quality :). Never used hurricane sponsons, that's something I want to try out too.

I just can't see the reason to upgrade the TL MM to a typhoon missile launcher. The multi-melta is definitely the best gun on the Stormraven, and since it can be hard to hit side armor with the nose gun against smart opponents, the 2d6 melta is key against armored targets that missile launchers can't reliably hurt.

I do tend to run my SR as close-ranged support and as transports for dreads, so that probably has colored my viewpoint.

The loss of AP1 is a pain, but concussive on the missiles could prove useful against against monstrous creatures. And since the missiles weren't twin-linked they most always missed anyway - so I won't be missing them too much.

I have 2 storm ravens, both use the multimelta.  1 has assault cannon, the other lascannon.  I tend to prefer the Assault Cannon on the table, but am guess the lascannon will see more play at least early with the new codex since Baals will likely cover Assault Cannon goodness.

The loss of Bloodstrike missiles was pretty brutal, especially in a world where Imperial Knights are a thing.  Fortunately, both of my Stormravens were already flying around with a multimelta and lascannon with no sponsons, so mine are still quite well equipped for opening up armor.  With how incredible Dante looks and how cheap Death Company and Astorath got, I don't think I'll have a psyker floating around to Prescience it on the turn it comes in (to make sure that the 4 fired missiles all hit) anymore.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for a formation that uses two Stormravens or two Baal Predators since my Heavy Support slots just got really crowded.

I run the exact same as JamesI, but I've always found that past turn 2-3, my favorite gun on the birds is the Hurricane Sponsons.  The TLMM is always good, but when you've got some infantry on the board and can just about guarantee a shot anywhere with such a fast platform, 12 bolter shots into standard infantry will always do some good.

Although my experience with anti-vehicle tends to go like this:  Roll hit on las, pen, roll 1-2 for damage table.  Complain.  Shoot AC, roll 3-4 hits, glance and don't bother rolling the pen because its hulled out anyway.

I am hesitant to use it as a transport for anything significant. Too many points left in reserve. To use it as a gunship might be a thing.

However, it has great synergy with Dante. DoA allows to re-roll reserve, which means (almost) guaranteed arrival T2.

Folks are talking about using it to transport a unit of bolter scouts. Move Through Cover means that they can bypass the consequences of scattering, and they're cheap enough that it won't hurt as much if the storm raven blows up, but their mid-range weaponry means that you can either drop them up your opponent's nose or drop them on a flank or backfield objective as the storm raven zoots around being a gunship.

If you are looking for a flying gunship then don't bother with the storm raven. What you want is the space wolf storm fang, superior in every way as a gunship.

I was thinking about getting another raven but I don't see the point when the SW flyers exists. 

I am planning on running mine for AA/AT with TLLC/TLMM and not bother with the hurricane bolters. However I plan to magnetize it so I can experiment with different options.

I am also interested in the possibility of Scouts. A small squad of CCW scouts with a sergeant with power axe should be pretty punchy for just 70 points. On the charge, they should be able to knock 3 hull points off any vehicle with an AV10 rear. Also, each Scout should be able to put on average one wound each on most T4 opponents (before saves).

If you have the Elite slot free then a small unit of bolter DC would be a good option as they are relentless meaning you can disembark, fire as well as a tactical squad and then assault pretty effectively too. As always, it depends what else you have in your army and how you are doing for points.

Or the Caestus if you are a manly man who likes to ram things. 

Theres Also the kharybdis Assault Claw if, for whatever reason, you need a Drop Pod that shoots things, can act as a flyer, burninate even more things and have a transport capacity of 20.

If you are looking for a flying gunship then don't bother with the storm raven. What you want is the space wolf storm fang, superior in every way as a gunship.

Stormfang only has a transport capacity of 6 and no assault ramp. Stormwolf has the ramp and capacity 16 but less firepower. To me the Raven seems to sit in between the SW ships in terms of firepower and transport capacity. What do you feel is the big benefit of the Stormfang?

BA RB will not be Obj.Sec. seeing as it is being bought in FA slot.

No but the Blood Claws do, and you dont need to disembark to score anymore

Stormfang only has a transport capacity of 6 and no assault ramp. Stormwolf has the ramp and capacity 16 but less firepower. To me the Raven seems to sit in between the SW ships in terms of firepower and transport capacity. What do you feel is the big benefit of the Stormfang?

I would actually say the Fang is inferior to the Wolf. The Wolf's Turret mounted Helfrost is much more practical than the hull mounted one on the Fang

Archived