DC really worth it?

Frater Cornelius

Do they need a tank? Or are they tough enough? I would consider Astorath + 10 DC w/ 1-2 Fists = 420-445. This borders on being too expensive in my eyes. Wouldn't SG + SP be a better option?

Yes, it's expensive, but frankly it's the only proper hammer unit in the current 'dex without spending even more pts. Can't think of any proper tank in the BA codex, you would have to bring an allied chapter master or something if you want them tougher. Or go for a land raider with DC + psyker or chaplain, but then we're talking considerably more pts.

SG are more of gimmick unit, they don't have the raw damage output of the DC and don't hold up as well if given serious attention.

Do they need a tank? Or are they tough enough? I would consider Astorath + 10 DC w/ 1-2 Fists = 420-445. This borders on being too expensive in my eyes. Wouldn't SG + SP be a better option?

Yes, it's expensive, but frankly it's the only proper hammer unit in the current 'dex without spending even more pts. Can't think of any proper tank in the BA codex, you would have to bring an allied chapter master or something if you want them tougher. Or go for a land raider with DC + psyker or chaplain, but then we're talking considerably more pts.

SG are more of gimmick unit, they don't have the raw damage output of the DC and don't hold up as well if given serious attention.

I see. Well, hammer is not quite accurate. With plenty of armour and CS squads and two beat-stick chars I have a lot covered. We are talking about field presence. I would consider running the aforementioned combo, or simply two units of 10 with 1 Fist each and call it a day. I guess I need to experiment with that. Call them more of a blender unit, whereas most other units take out armour and bigger stuff.

Land Raider is out of the question.

Other alternatives to DC are also welcome.

Since I use the BA detachment, I have 2 Elites takes by CS and 2 available for DC. However, I am tempted to take 15 with Astorath at a 50 point premium of the 2x10 setup. I guess right now it comes down to testing.

But I guess the general consensus is that DC still trumps ASM as melee unit? Fair enough.

On a side note, what are you thinking about Baal Preds? AsC variant w/ Heavy Bolter for light tank and anti-infantry duty. Any good? Or rather invest the points into LasPlas RB, Grav Bikes and ASM?

I don't have a lot of experience with Baal preds, not too keen on that side AV11 on a short ranged tank. Loss of scout seems like the final nail in the coffin for the flame storm variant. 

I think the Flamestorm was never all that good.  Had it gotten torrent, sure.

The shooty Baal is still pretty good.  

Archived