Mephiston?

undeadfilth

So, his statline has been pulled back.  But he's an IC now.  Also, can't use biomancy and gain four powers from it anymore since he always has sanguine sword.  I love him to death, so what are people thinking his main use will be now? I'm just not sure at this point.  Probably in a LR or SR with some buddies.

run him with regular BA powers.

means he always has sanguine sword and the quickening, for potentially 9 attacks (4 base attacks, 2 for 2 ccw, 1 for charging, 3 for power) at init 8 strength 10 potentially hitting on 2s!. As he also has the force rule, he SHOULD be able to kill anything without eternal warrior in a fight, despite only having AP3...

Where exactly he goes will likely depend on the other 2 powers he rolls, but I think he'd do well in a hammernator squad, or with an honour guard in a landraider. If you roll wings of sanguinius though, he can make the unit pretty mobile without the need of a transport- sure they cant charge if he uses it, but it effectively would mean he and a unit could move 12 from the power, then move 6 from movement, then run or shoot depending on circumstances.

So, his statline has been pulled back. But he's an IC now. Also, can't use biomancy and gain four powers from it anymore since he always has sanguine sword. I love him to death, so what are people thinking his main use will be now? I'm just not sure at this point. Probably in a LR or SR with some buddies.

I see what you did there ;)

How can't he get biomancy?

As far as I new he gets sanguine sword(it's not labeled as a sanguinary discipline) and force as standard. Then gets to roll 2 powers on any of the tables available to him and if he rolls them both on the same table he gets the primaris for free from psychic focus?

Correct, Meph can still get the primaris from a school if he chooses his two remaining powers from the same school. So he could get a total of three powers from biomancy (two random plus primaris), instead of four (three random plus primaris).

In addition to those powers, he also always has force and sanguine sword.

Samagol is right.

Gaining a Primaris is based on the powers that are generated, it doesn't care about powers he automatically has since you don't generate those.

I really like Mephiston.

Strength is nerfed, but he has S10 with his power.

Survivability is nerfed, but he can take a bodyguard of DC.

WS is nerfed, but he can now hit on a 2+ in challenges and we have Priests to buff it back to his old stat.

Initiative is also nerfed, but we have an army-wide buff to bring it back.

So overall he seems to be equally strong, though different.

And then we have a gigantic point reduction to close the deal :D

Mephiston is insane.  For 75 points less you still have a chance of rolling 9 S10 attacks on the charge with Quickening and Sanguine Sword.  That's just ridiculous.  Only real nerf is he's now T5, so S10 can insta-kill him.  I'll take that for 75 points less and the ability to join squads...

run him with regular BA powers.

means he always has sanguine sword and the quickening, for potentially 9 attacks (4 base attacks, 2 for 2 ccw, 1 for charging, 3 for power) at init 8 strength 10 potentially hitting on 2s!. As he also has the force rule, he SHOULD be able to kill anything without eternal warrior in a fight, despite only having AP3...

I agree with Blindhamster on this one. Mephiston may not be the "RIP AND TEAR" monster he was last edition but with the new Blood Angel's psyker powers augmenting him, You're possibly looking at the next Highlander here ready to take some heads and yes I am making that reference because of the psyker spell "The Quickening".

Despite all these power buffs on Mephiston I would still stay way from anything that has the "Eternal Warrior", "Monstrous Creature" or "Instant Death" special rules. All 3 of those rules make feel uneasy and I'd rather kill it for a distance than rumble with them in close combat/challenges.

Archived