Lamenters (updated 05/01/15)

Lorenzen

That is a striking, vivid yellow you've managed to achieve on those Marines. Bravo. Gorgeous composition all around.

I actually like the idea of the red robes for the shoulderpad effigy. Done properly - and I think we can trust that you'll do it properly - it gives a nice contrast to the yellow. I could also see the marbling going well, too, tho.

i marked it out in pencil first and went with a very thin black line to start with and then "corrected" it as it got thicker.. though i think i may end up making some transfers for it to save me some time.

Bit more work done.. not happy with the pad, will redo that as it looks messy imho (it looks reasonable at arms length.. but hes the sarge so thats unacceptable) also messed up one of his eyes so had to rectify that and it looks a little off imho.

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2014/350/4/a/lamenter1_by_typhion-d8a28c2.jpg

need to neaten up the cheques and take things like the wings on his leg and purity seal past the basic stages they are at.. then figure out how true metallics work on swords.

i shouldve given him a helmet, basic pad and a combi bolter.. sleep.png (ps base is just there for use as a way to glue him to a paint pot)

Dang it Lorenzen, I needed a yellow army to paint and preferred to have a non-C:SM chapter that was a Blood Angel successor, but now that you have done the Lamenters so well, I can't put them up to be judged against yours. ;) (Well, okay, maybe I still can :devil:, but I'll probably wait until everyone has forgotten about yours) Yours are fantastic. You have done a great job, not sure what it is you don't like about it.

Not sure what to say about the metal on the sword, it isn't common to come across a broadsword with a large flat area like that down the center of the blade... Most of the time that space was taken up by a fuller in our world, but who needs a fuller when the power field from your weapon slices things apart at a (near-)molecular level and cooks all the blood off away from the blade and you don't actually need the weight savings.

Somewhat minor update today.. reworked the efigy to a marble im happier with and started work on the sword, which i couldn't get a decent photo of side on to show the metallics off.. may have to look at a video when he's done for that.. got to finish the gems, finish the melta bomb, purity seal, ropes, knee icon.. touch up the bolt pistol finish the blade of the sword, do the hilt.. scuff up the cheques a bit more (and neaten them further) and then do the heart and blood drop..

and figure out my basing scheme still.. I'll be glad to return to normal guys rather than sergeants after this sleep.png

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/351/5/3/lamsarge_by_typhion-d8a5wos.jpg

*edit*

managed to get about the best i could for photo on the blade so far..

10850074_10152560375086406_7753538437231

10849736_10152566060501406_2007615070780

Started work on Malakim Phoros.. got a clear idea in my head how i want him to look when hes finished. He's described as looking like a statue of an imperial saint come to life.. so he had to have dante/sanguinor style armour (though he wont be a midget in power leggings like them) long billowy hair, cloak etc.. but due to his rage unto death rule and his failing grip on his rage i wanted to show the cracks in his facade hence the angry face and headlong charge..

his glaive is also actually going to be a glaive, because i have a spare phoenix guard one kicking about.

also figured out how i will be basing the army.

1921904_10152565001221406_22290355163057

need to add a little more weathering to the marines legs, but i'm happy with the look of them (will be using the same method to rebase my death guard when i get round to that)

Excellent movement in the Chapter Master.

Very interesting base choice to stand up against that yellow - I bet it really pops from table view down, some very good contrasts present. Can I ask what made you choose a medium colour as opposed to say something a lot darker?

As always, your fleshcraft and face work is second to none.

You are on point with your gem detailing.

Don't worry over the checkers on the pads --- you do incredible work and if there is a slight variation, size difference, or crookedness to them, odds are it more worthwhile to leave it and walk away for a bit, get some perspective, realize that it actually adds to the handcrafted feel of the mini, rather than repaint it several times over, making yourself more frustrated if it doesn't turn out exactly like you want.

It's all looking fantastic, Lorenzen. The amount of motion on the Chapter Master is great and the basing scheme works really well. My only C&C on the sergeant is that there seems to be a little wiggle of darker color up onto the yellow from the ankle wire, but it is so minor that I actually had to search it out. Your list looks like it will take care of everything else, and I'm with Candleshoes, I've painted some cheques in the past and at some point you may have to make the decision to let them go even if they aren't perfect. It will still look fantastically amazing anyway.

Big :tu: sir, good show!

Thanks guys, the colour choices for the bases was so they didn't end up looking too dark next to the yellow and becauae as i was weathering the legs didn't want a drastically contrasting tone to the armour as it can look very odd imho.. there are a few darker spots on the bases as the primary colours are light earth and dry mud(dry mud being what i used on the legs)

I dont plan on spending much more rime on the sarge as i still have the rest of the squad to do before i start on my death company bits and qith a somewhat limited time frame knowing when to put the brush down is important

done a little more on Phoros (and sorted out the sarges base though hes not finished yet) and got a blutack mock up of him together (without cape) so you can get an idea of where he will be going.. thinking i may magnetize the backpack so i can also run him as dante if i feel the urge.

10432558_10152567303381406_6895934607569

Archived