An Evolving Story

simison

With so many topics devoted to measuring the Sons of Sanguinius' prowess on the battlefield/tabletop, currently, I'm reading the codex from page 1 and am intrigued by the differences I'm finding in the fluff. I'd like to hear other voices, especially the veterans of earlier editions to hear their point of view and wonder how these changes could lead to future stories and possibilities.

So far, I'm struck by three changes I've not noticed from the 5th edition.

1. Sanguinius in charge of the Loyalists campaign against Horus. Now, this one is minor and probably has more of that 'relative storytelling' that GW uses as a theme, but in the Unremembered Empire, he is made Regent and I wonder how this will play out in the rest of the Horus Heresy series. I'm especially curious that, if this is developed, how will Dorn react.

2. The emphasis of psykers. This point, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned in earlier editions (the Furioso Librarian makes this one obvious in hindsight), but we all know how Sanguinius joined the Khan and Magnus to form the librarium. This new emphasis in the codex really drives this past decision home for me, and I'm curious how the Blood Angels interacted with the Thousand Sons, though I doubt we'll see anything of it.

3. The rivalry with the World Eaters. This is by far the biggest change I think I've found. It seems obvious, but I've never heard of GW bringing any specific light on this. But it is fitting, and I hope we see some of this in future BL novels or perhaps a campaign from Forgeworld centered on the Horus Heresy.

Back to reading as I hope to find more surprises.

Archived