Sanguinary Priests

Noctus Cornix

So, for those of us who got our hands on the codex so far, what's your opinion on the Sanguinary Priests? Honestly I like the direction they took by trying to make them seem more valuable to the army. The only major issue I have is that Sanguinary Priests can no longer take Terminator armour, which is depressing to me because I had a model of one that was supposed to be the Chief Apothecary for my Brothers of the Red but now I can't use him anymore. :(

I fail to see his relevance. Command Squad has free apothecary, DC has inate FnP and is arguably superior to ASM/SG + SP. Where else to put him? Tacs? No.

I think that he is more valuable to allies that are looking to get a cheap FnP source.

On the other hand, he is only 75pts with Jump Pack, so if +1WS is worth that much to you, he might do well in a squad of ASM or SG.

From what I read in the rumour thread, they are pretty useless for the army as a whole. They only ever buff one unit.

[conspiracy theory]GW removed the TDA priests, because they do not have a TDA priest model. The do not want any third party to to have a reason to make one.[/conspiracy theory]

If the Sang. Priest only buffs one unit, that is an expensive buff! Also does anyone know if the Sang. Priest has the same profile? I mean does he only have one wound? If so, I cannot see him getting too much use.

Another question - do we still have access to a reclusiarch - perhaps another reason not to take a SP

If the Sang. Priest only buffs one unit, that is an expensive buff! Also does anyone know if the Sang. Priest has the same profile? I mean does he only have one wound? If so, I cannot see him getting too much use.

Another question - do we still have access to a reclusiarch - perhaps another reason not to take a SP

He has 2 wounds now

Now, we only have chaplains now.

For better or for worse, I've only fielded the Priests a few times and can't say I miss them in TDA. With the new codex, I intend to field them more often for they are a solid choice for a cheap HQ with a couple of boosts. Now, if only the model wasn't so expensive.

Would the FC special rule also impact Hammer of Wrath I wonder?

Regardless hitting on 3's is much better than 4's either way you paint it.

If you Look at the Baal formation as well needing 1 elite to get the +1 Initiative you realise that to fill min requirements of 2 troop, HQ and elite you can easily fit the priest in to HQ and take your hammer unit, hell even a cheap one works, now i don't know about you but hitting first improves survivability and with an extra 16%+ hits is nothing to sniff at.

So, for those of us who got our hands on the codex so far, what's your opinion on the Sanguinary Priests? Honestly I like the direction they took by trying to make them seem more valuable to the army. The only major issue I have is that Sanguinary Priests can no longer take Terminator armour, which is depressing to me because I had a model of one that was supposed to be the Chief Apothecary for my Brothers of the Red but now I can't use him anymore. sad.png

I'm pretty happy with the Priest rules. Have to admit I could see myself using 2 priests has my HQs and ignoring the other choices.

So, for those of us who got our hands on the codex so far, what's your opinion on the Sanguinary Priests? Honestly I like the direction they took by trying to make them seem more valuable to the army. The only major issue I have is that Sanguinary Priests can no longer take Terminator armour, which is depressing to me because I had a model of one that was supposed to be the Chief Apothecary for my Brothers of the Red but now I can't use him anymore. sad.png

I'm pretty happy with the Priest rules. Have to admit I could see myself using 2 priests has my HQs and ignoring the other choices.

Thats exactly what i am doing, not counting LOW Dante of course. ;)

The +1WS will come in handy on units that are likely to be a little bogged down in protracted combats, like Bikers. I can't wait to get a Sang Priest on a bike with some grav guns and beautiful WS/S/I5 Charges!

This!!!

I'm thinking about this too, giving the priest an axe and auspex to lower coversaves by 1. With a claw sergeant in the squad this unit is really flexible, good at shooting and assault.

The auspex is a good choice, I think mine will be loaded up with special gear to help the guard though, as much as I love ruining cover saves it should not be a huge thing against my force. 

With a jump pack, he is cheaper than the apothecary upgrade for paladins

Another good point, yes he does not have a 2+ or invun but he does give unit buffs as well though and is a IC. :D

For better or for worse, I've only fielded the Priests a few times and can't say I miss them in TDA. With the new codex, I intend to field them more often for they are a solid choice for a cheap HQ with a couple of boosts. Now, if only the model wasn't so expensive.

Same here, I made a model in TDA but hardly ever used it.

The times where his bubble-effect came in useful were scarce so the change to only his unit is a minimal nerf.

The real downside is that it's now a HQ-slot for each model.

I am still paying the same for a Priest with Jump Pack, but he now has double the wounds and a better bonus to his squad.

My model was actually cheap! A discount website I found had them at 13 euro -20% instead of 25 euro -20%.

Getting this model for only €10,40 was really lucky.

While it is a shame we lost TDA for Sanguinary Priests, I don't think it is a terrible loss, if survivability is going to be an issue I would suggest adding a Librarian to the same squad and just buff the lot up with blessings.

Otherwise he is pretty much what I would expect of a Sanguinary Priest, a cheap support HQ that always benefits the squad he is in with his buff and FnP.

So far only 2 nitpicks is have about him. one minor and one maybe I'm going a bit overboard on.

1. His model: Now don't get me wrong I love the new model and I want to add it to my collection but clearly the new plastic kit is designed to be a new and updated Brother Corbulo but for some reason it is marketed and depicted in all media as a normal Sang priest. Maybe I was just really hoping for updated special characters for the Blood Angels since all the other marine codices has at least one 2nd edition model updated to a plastic kit but come on surely I'm not the only one who see's the resemblance to Corb's in those photo's

2. Bolt Pistol Tax:  At base, a Sanguinary Priest does come with a Bolt pistol as part of his starting wargear. Instead his bolt pistol can be bought extra for 1 point. Now I'm sure people will be asking why I'm nitpicking this. I nitpick because unless I misunderstood how buying further weapons work, you have to exchange either a bolt pistol and/or melee weapon to obtain the item you purchased meaning that if you want to kit out your Priest with a Plasma Pistol+Power Weapon combo you spend an extra point on a item that you were going to exchange anyway making that one point useless (I was going to say pointless but then I wouldn't be able to sleep at night for that bad pun.) In the end that one point could end up you up with a army list that is just one point over the limit allowed and sadly I know there are people and I'm sure there are tournaments out there that are strict about going over the point limit even if it's just by one. 

The TL:DR version: Your Priest is going to cost 1 point extra because you have to buy a weapon you were going to exchange anyway for a more useful one to combo with your melee weapon/akimbo gun.

So that my views on the Sanguinary Priest.

Archived