What's good/average/bad in the new codex?

kburn

Having these decussions is good. This means we have a semblence of internal balance.

I would say the codex is actually pretty internally balanced with few things that can be abused. The things that I would say are pretty bad are Yuchi and van vets because they are outclassed by sanguinary guard and death company.

Except they can multi charge with impunity, which is good.

I suppose one ridiculous way we could get an AA attack is to give all jump units the ability to open fire on enemy flyers on the turn they deep strike at full ballistic skill. Or make one close combat attack as the fly past the target.

:)

Being able to multi charge at full strength is great for Vanguard.   Always tuck a few melta-bombs in them and hit the unit next to the tank and the tank. 

It seems to me the relative simplicity of the Death Company or even the Sanguinary Guard outweigh a situational advantage like that.  The potential for durability by Storm Shields seem to be a more compelling argument for taking Vanguard.

Yep MB's and a few shields make them an interesting unit.

Whats really changed the dynamic is native Initiative 5 Strength 5 charges in all our units.  That was our strength in 5th and now its back we have to go out and test it again.  I think it will be surprisingly effective few units actually consider dealing with dedicated assault now.  Sure shooting is king but we can still shoot and charge better than any other PA army.

A lot has changed just with that I5 S5.

Archived