DC vs. Sanguinary Guard vs. Honor Guard vs. Vanguard Vets

ElectricPaladin

Great analysis OP. Some food for thoughts. I still like DC because you can spam Thunder Hammer in small unit. 

@Immersturm : You said that Dante is great for tanking with FNP and Eternal Warrior. Are you implying that EW helps him against Str 10 for FNP ? Because it does not. 

Instant death in the allocating wound :

«Any Wound allocated to a model has the Instant Death special rule (see below) if the Strength value of that attack is at least double the Toughness value (after modifiers) of that model»

Therefore Str 10 = Instant Death on Dante

Feel No Pain USR :

«Feel No Pain saves may not be taken against Destroyer attacks or against unsaved Wounds that have the Instant Death special rule»

Eternal Warrior USR :

«If a model with this special rule suffers an unsaved Wound from an attack that inflicts Instant Death, it only reduces its Wounds by 1, instead of automatically reducing its Wounds to 0»

Therefore Instant Death remove FNP, and EW does not protect against this in its own rule text. 

Btw I'm saying this for general information not against you in particular, in case people were protecting their FNP with EW. It doesn't work. 

I a running four squads of 5. 1 of each type, and it's been working awesome for me. Played two games, and have wrecked face each time.

No need to compete, when they all work for slightly different jobs; it also makes them hard to focus. 

Is there any reason to run assualt marines with jump packs in a squad of 10? I've got 40 of them that I have been thinking of using.

That depends on the list. But in general 1x10 and 1x5 are enough unless someone plans to use ally or/and bikers. They are mostly extra wounds for special weapons and support units for tacs. They also help with target saturation , considering almost every BA army is going to run a DC and Sang guard.

As far as units go. DC work awesome with the new libby powers.Sang guard is resilient enough,+2sv and the fact that there are other bullet catchers+DC[and sang guard finaly not being 5 man only] makes them survive long enough to work.

Also I would like to point out that , while maybe not something for the purist players, both DC and SG get buffed a lot by addition of WS or IH libby/chapters masters. And ES smashhammer fixs a lot of the problems with low ap weapons DC/SG may have. To a degree this can also, be done with a BA HQ, but it burns an important BA HQ slot , that may not always be there.

Fancy that. Did they change the wording? I remember it once saying that the model is immune to the effects of instant death. But that wording most certainly does not allow FnP, you are right.

Maybe between 6th and 7th, because I only came recently to that when I used FNP on a EW character and my friend told me to check the book as it did not worked like that. So maybe we are used to a 6th or 5th rule. 

Vanguard are dead to me

my first thought but a vv unit with a hq packs and axes and storm shields does great work for a club mates raven guard army, the storm shields help a lot not to mention our buff of FnP wS int and str, over the C:sm version seems to just add value.

Unfortunately doing the tarpit gig is done better and cheaper by Command Squads, who can also double up as tank hunters.

Command squad - jump packs, 3 meltas, 3 storm shields, 3 meltabombs

Too expensive. Get a tanky character up front to satisfy your HQ choice and skip the SS. Good enough for most cases. Won't do much in melee against Knights, but you should not be there in the first place.

Unfortunately doing the tarpit gig is done better and cheaper by Command Squads, who can also double up as tank hunters.

Command squad - jump packs, 3 meltas, 3 storm shields, 3 meltabombs

Too expensive. Get a tanky character up front to satisfy your HQ choice and skip the SS. Good enough for most cases. Won't do much in melee against Knights, but you should not be there in the first place.

The whole point of the squad is to tie up things you don't want messing with your DC. A tanky character is going to be in for a rough time against knights, wraithknights and the like.

If you are engaging Imperial Knights in melee with any army, you are doing it wrong. S-D remove from play on a 6 without any saves allowed and his Stomp can also remove a big chunk from the game without any saves and ignore Invisibility.

No, Knights are to be taken with Meltas from at least two different facings to avoid his shield.

I would buy the WK argument though, even if I still consider it too expensive. I prefer DC + Fists in a fight of attrition against a Knight, but generally ignore him unless he wants melee.

If you are engaging Imperial Knights in melee with any army, you are doing it wrong. S-D remove from play on a 6 without any saves allowed and his Stomp can also remove a big chunk from the game without any saves and ignore Invisibility.

No, Knights are to be taken with Meltas from at least two different facings to avoid his shield.

I would buy the WK argument though, even if I still consider it too expensive. I prefer DC + Fists in a fight of attrition against a Knight, but generally ignore him unless he wants melee.

Not too sure on this, can you LOS in combat with Knights?

Never came up when i have been running them.

Truth be old though, there is a few things that can deal with them in combat, hell this is why I like to run units with 2 to 4 power fists in DC or Sanguinary Guard.

Normally infernus as well, got to make sure they are dead, just the explosions are the pain so got to make sure you have no more use for them.

Wraith knights are kind in comparision, harder to kill and their toughness can be a pain as melta is only 50/50 plus it has a Invun and is cheaper but it does not explode and kill everything. :P

Archived