DC vs. Sanguinary Guard vs. Honor Guard vs. Vanguard Vets

ElectricPaladin

I used a meltacide pod squad in a competitive tourny this weekend and they were great. Despite some totally smelly to-hit rolls, which quite frankly would affect any unit you take for the job, they still took out a wave serpent in two of the games, got a stunned and weapon destroyed result in two other games - yes bad dice all over, but again this does not discriminate between different units, and massacred a command squad in the other game where the oppo had no vehicles. So they do exactly what they are made for and can smash TEQ just as well. If their dice had been fair, they would have been truly admirable.

Killing a wave serpent with 4 melta shots isn't what I would call cold dice? huh.png On average you'll score a glance, provided you can even get in firing range with the pistols.

Killing a wave serpent with 4 melta shots isn't what I would call cold dice? huh.png On average you'll score a glance, provided you can even get in firing range with the pistols.

It depends on whether you can get into the rear arc (feasible in a pod) and/or the opponent fired off the Serpent Shields in their turn.

Without the shield, they are relying on cover/jink saves which are a lot easier to break through.

Sorry to change the subject, but what is everyone's opinion on the best setup for a unit of 10 sanguard? I was considering 2 power fists and a banner to try and keep them cheap(ish!). I was also wondering if a divination libby trying to get the 4++  would be a better idea than sticking a sang priest with them as I would expect a lot of S8+ firepower being thrown at them in which case the FNP would be useless. 

Sorry to change the subject, but what is everyone's opinion on the best setup for a unit of 10 sanguard? I was considering 2 power fists and a banner to try and keep them cheap(ish!). I was also wondering if a divination libby trying to get the 4++  would be a better idea than sticking a sang priest with them as I would expect a lot of S8+ firepower being thrown at them in which case the FNP would be useless.

The 4++ is great...when you get it. I'm swapping my libs out for a priest, because rending weaponry - eldar have LOTS of this particularly, and it can be granted by 'misfortune' - and poor saving rolls are at least as much of a threat as S8 AP2. Depends on your meta and what else is in your army. I found that my Sicaran was the first choice for S8+; Eldar fear the Sicaran probably more than any other unit in the game.

If you can make the points available, put a few inferno pistols on them. It helps in situations where you want to pop a transport so you can charge its passengers and also gives them an edge vs TEQ. Do you run Dante with them? I can't recommend him enough, hit and run alone can bring so many new opportunities to the game.

Hope this helps :)

I used a meltacide pod squad in a competitive tourny this weekend and they were great. Despite some totally smelly to-hit rolls, which quite frankly would affect any unit you take for the job, they still took out a wave serpent in two of the games, got a stunned and weapon destroyed result in two other games - yes bad dice all over, but again this does not discriminate between different units, and massacred a command squad in the other game where the oppo had no vehicles. So they do exactly what they are made for and can smash TEQ just as well. If their dice had been fair, they would have been truly admirable.

Killing a wave serpent with 4 melta shots isn't what I would call cold dice? :huh: On average you'll score a glance, provided you can even get in firing range with the pistols.

You misinterpret me bro; that was in one game. In two others they rolled 3 misses and the pen was ninked (vs necrons and eldar). Edit - eldar downgraded it to glance and the second WS was destroyed in assault, not by shooting.

Killing a wave serpent with 4 melta shots isn't what I would call cold dice? :huh:  On average you'll score a glance, provided you can even get in firing range with the pistols.

It depends on whether you can get into the rear arc (feasible in a pod) and/or the opponent fired off the Serpent Shields in their turn.

Without the shield, they are relying on cover/jink saves which are a lot easier to break through.

Killing a wave serpent with 4 melta shots isn't what I would call cold dice? :huh:  On average you'll score a glance, provided you can even get in firing range with the pistols.

Night fighting makes a 3+ out of a 4+ and is a right pain.

Night fighting makes a 3+ out of a 4+ and is a right pain.

or the bloody mysterious objective that adds to the cover save as my melta marines found out last night.

Is that a straight +1 cover, cumulative with stealth? I'm glad nobody I play ever uses mysterious objectives.

Sorry to change the subject, but what is everyone's opinion on the best setup for a unit of 10 sanguard? I was considering 2 power fists and a banner to try and keep them cheap(ish!). I was also wondering if a divination libby trying to get the 4++ would be a better idea than sticking a sang priest with them as I would expect a lot of S8+ firepower being thrown at them in which case the FNP would be useless.

I usually add a pair of Inferno pistols for transport busting too. My preffered upgrades (if points permit) are.

2 Inferno pistols

2 Power fists

2 Axes encarmine

Banner

The Axes add a little extra punch vs TEQs and MCs but you could do without them if you are running Dante in the squad.

As for Priest vs Librarian, it is a bit of a lottery. You might get the 4++ power or you might not. Also, FNP stacks with an armour save whereas an invul does not. Libbys can be denied or can fail their roll whereas the Priest is always in effect and supplies +1WS as well which is useful on a unit with lots of special CCW attacks. Lastly, there is no guarantee of getting the right power.
I prefer the priest as I find Marine psykers a little underwhelming. That may be because I am used to my Eldar chucking around 10+ Warp charges per turn. msn-wink.gif

Archived