Review of the Dex

ContemptuousAngel

They are probably both a Character so they are unique.

I still think they have too much toys, that's usually the load-out I take on an eight or ten-man squad.

I do not expect them to be FAQ'd or anything, because that would make Cassor arguably strictly worse than a normal dread.

You are paying more for a DC that is Troops, a character and cannot take a normal Drop Pod without the FA-slot tax.

Lastly, in Lords of War, we've got Dante, and for some reason, Gabriel Seth.

These two simply follow the design strategy of 7e, in which all Chapter Masters (and similar leaders, like Ghazkghull) are Lord of War choices, regardless of their actual 'power level'. It would have been odd if Seth hadn't been there.  Folks have certainly debated the value of having those folks in that slot, but there you have it, and the two are simply following the current trend.

Death Company Dreadnoughts can be taken without taking 5 DC. Magna Grapples are free and give move through cover and reroll distance to assault tanks. Blood Talons are strength x2 (so.. 12, 13 on the charge... Jesus)

All characteristics are capped at 10, with the exception of Wounds and Attacks.

The Blood Angels Battle Company (apocalypse games only) gives objective secured, and +1 initiative.

The BABC Formation is not actually for Apocalypse games only, but would require a relatively high points value game to take all of the required units.  You could, however, take minimally-sized units with no/few upgrade options and come in relatively cheap.

As with other 7e codices, the BABC Formation follows the trend of an in-codex 'Company' Formation.  The Space Wolves codex includes a 'Great Company' Formation, and the Grey Knights codex includes a 'Brotherhood' Formation.  Both are as unwieldy and as useless as the Blood Angels Battle Company; the benefits (via special rules and Command Benefits) cannot outwiegh the disadvantages in complete loss of flexibility in army list design.  All of these will continue to be ignored in favor of the Faction-specific Detachments (e.g. Baal Strike Force) and Formations that are either in the codex or in supplemental material (such as the Shield of Baal campaign books, White Dwarf magazine (#47), and any eventual actual Supplement).

V

Not sure about that.

The BABC-formation is a minimum of "leet"-points minus 2.

It's nothing like the nearly 2k that Grey Knights have to spend, you could even play this one in a normal 1500-point game.

But I'm not sure I want to give up on all the awesome units just to gain Objective Secured.

I'm not here to secure anything, I am here to charge into anything that moves.

A nice Formation is the Flesh Tearers Vanguard, only slightly above 500 at a minimum and you can make disorderly charges without any losses!

If only it were 3 ASM and 1 Tactical instead of 1 ASM and 3 Tactical... Damn you GW!

I'm loving the weapon options for assault marines. I was afraid we might loose meltaguns, but instead we got the option to arm them with plasmaguns. It's not great for charging, but it makes for one heck of a counter. Imagine moving a five man squad with two plasmaguns and a combiplaz a foot to counter a deathwing squads deep strike. (Oh and the option for a combi weapon on the sarge is nice. Not great but nice.

Made my first list with the new codex as one that I'm considering using in a tourney this weekend. The list is 1850 points. If I were using the old BA codex, the exact same list would have cost a few points shy of 2350....~500 points more.

Much more competitive unit costs....this is just one reason I am enjoying the new codex. Not a full review, but you get the point. biggrin.png

I'm loving the weapon options for assault marines. I was afraid we might loose meltaguns, but instead we got the option to arm them with plasmaguns. It's not great for charging, but it makes for one heck of a counter. Imagine moving a five man squad with two plasmaguns and a combiplaz a foot to counter a deathwing squads deep strike. (Oh and the option for a combi weapon on the sarge is nice. Not great but nice.

We were able to do this in the last codex

Nope, it's either ObSec or The Red Thirst.

I know which I would want.

I see what you mean. If any enemy troop unit with objsec is still alive and that close to a BA unit with FC at the end of the game, they deserve that objective =)

Nope, it's either ObSec or The Red Thirst.

I know which I would want.

I see what you mean. If any enemy troop unit with objsec is still alive and that close to a BA unit with FC at the end of the game, they deserve that objective =)

This.

The DC dreadnought and Raphen's Squad are mqrked as troops in the stuff that comes with the tyranid/BA box set. The squad has a set number of guys and set wargear, but they are troops, and that DC squad has a character (Quickening anyone?).

Are the rules for that available online? I'm sure I can get another box of death company and kit them out that way. DC TROOPS MOFAAAAAAKA!!!!!!!!!!! 

So, powers wise, I'm torn between rolling Sanguinary and Divination.  Div has a 4++, Precog (which could be badass on Meph, dread), Prescience.  Sanguinary has a 5++, Quickening, and some good shooting.  I'm thinking that unless I want the witchfires (say I'm dropping my caster in and he can't charge immediately), wouldn't I mostly be better off rolling Divination for buffs?  particularly if I'm rolling with SG or DC.

Archived