Sanguinary Priests in Successor Chapters

Kol Saresk

Beneath the Flesh and Sons of Burden. Nisroc is referred to as an Apothecary, not a Sanguinary Priest.

I believe the terms are used interchangeably by the author. A Sanguinary Priest is an apothecary for the Blood Angels after all.

I'm afraid this is correct.

"Nisroc touched his narthecium in emphasis. The Sanguinary Priest’s gleaming white armour was in stark contrast to the deep crimson and black worn by Maion and the others." (from Beneath the Flesh)

And even if Andy Smillie's Gabriel Seth scorns the Sanguinary Guard, it doesn't mean that the Flesh Tearers has never made use of a squad of them. I think it is intentionally left ambiguous as to not restrict a Flesh Tearers-player's collection.

Thank you for taking the time to dig that up.

T'was nothing, I actually just searched for "sanguinary priest" in the Trial by Blood Ebook. :)
Yeah I was going to do the same with my ebook copy of Beneath the Flesh, but I was having trouble redownloading it. I seriously don't remember that in the original copy. I'll look it up when it decides to work because I wonder what the implications would be if it is a revision.

And funnily enough, I think this does answer my question on variance.

1.)We know Sanguinary Priests(at least in the Blood Angels) carry the Blood of Sanguinius.

2.)We know they are also spiritual guides alongside the Chaplains.

3.)We know that they also spend time researching physical cures for the Flaw.

4.)We know the Flesh Tearers' Priests are commonly referred to as Apothecaries and seem to not be as heavily devoted to the spiritual aspect of their function.

5.)In parallel, the Lamenters' Priests are still commonly known as priests, but seem wholly devoted to curing the Flaw.

All in all, it does seem like my theory of variance within the Successors seems to be correct. Obviously not if they exist as that has been proven false, but rather how they exist and their roles within the Chapter.

For example, a Sanguinary Priest in the Lamenters might receive a great deal of respect as they are the only chance the Chapter has for survival. But in the Flesh Tearers who have been fighting the rampancy of the Flaw since their inception, the Sanguinary Priest(and possibly even the Guard) might represent a tradition they no longer see true value in but keep around anyway.

Beneath the Flesh and Sons of Burden. Nisroc is referred to as an Apothecary, not a Sanguinary Priest.

I believe the terms are used interchangeably by the author. A Sanguinary Priest is an apothecary for the Blood Angels after all.

I'm afraid this is correct.

"Nisroc touched his narthecium in emphasis. The Sanguinary Priest’s gleaming white armour was in stark contrast to the deep crimson and black worn by Maion and the others." (from Beneath the Flesh)

And even if Andy Smillie's Gabriel Seth scorns the Sanguinary Guard, it doesn't mean that the Flesh Tearers has never made use of a squad of them. I think it is intentionally left ambiguous as to not restrict a Flesh Tearers-player's collection.

Thank you for taking the time to dig that up.
T'was nothing, I actually just searched for "sanguinary priest" in the Trial by Blood Ebook. smile.png
Yeah I was going to do the same with my ebook copy of Beneath the Flesh, but I was having trouble redownloading it. I seriously don't remember that in the original copy. I'll look it up when it decides to work because I wonder what the implications would be if it is a revision.

And funnily enough, I think this does answer my question on variance.

1.)We know Sanguinary Priests(at least in the Blood Angels) carry the Blood of Sanguinius.

2.)We know they are also spiritual guides alongside the Chaplains.

3.)We know that they also spend time researching physical cures for the Flaw.

4.)We know the Flesh Tearers' Priests are commonly referred to as Apothecaries and seem to not be as heavily devoted to the spiritual aspect of their function.

5.)In parallel, the Lamenters' Priests are still commonly known as priests, but seem wholly devoted to curing the Flaw.

All in all, it does seem like my theory of variance within the Successors seems to be correct. Obviously not if they exist as that has been proven false, but rather how they exist and their roles within the Chapter.

For example, a Sanguinary Priest in the Lamenters might receive a great deal of respect as they are the only chance the Chapter has for survival. But in the Flesh Tearers who have been fighting the rampancy of the Flaw since their inception, the Sanguinary Priest(and possibly even the Guard) might represent a tradition they no longer see true value in but keep around anyway.

That might apply to the Sanguinary Guard too. Just as the Flesh Tearers commonly refer to Sanguinary Priests as Apothecaries, they might refer to their less-bling adorned Sanguinary Guard as simply "Veteran Honour Guard". It wouldn't surprise me if they consider the formal Blood Angel titles to be too superficial and aloof for common use. They seem to have a contempt for traditional hierarchy, and very little respect for authority overall. They are the rebellious teenager in the Blood Angel family.

Archived