Sanguinary priests as HQ choices

InquisitorBlack

Anyone else a bit annoyed that our priests now take up a whole HQ choice?

It is one of my biggest criticisms of the new dex. Sang Priests and Techmarines being whole HQ choices means that we're forced to run multiple detachments to run Techmarines and Priests in their 'classical' role, which is to be supporting characters, not staple Warlord-esque HQs.  

To be honest, I think they are a good HQ choice, if they were able to Artifcer Armour I would be tempted to use them as my default HQ.

Only thing holding me back the armour, hell even terminator armour would be good.

Lack of wounds is not a huge issue as is the same as a Chaplin or Libarian in that regards but with no Eternal Warrior avalible for our captain and due to their buff they are a competitive option.

Not being able to take three priests in one slot is a nerf, no question. However, I don't think it will impact my army lists much in practice. I always found that in the old codex, that our units were so expensive compared to other codexes that I could rarely AFFORD to consume 150 points (or up to 225 if you gave them jump packs) on three priests...even if they did only take one slot. So when I did run priests, I usually only ran one or sometimes two. Then, for the 50 points, what did you get? You got a model with just one wound (ouch). The new priests will live longer, so you may have the FNP last longer into the game for each priest you take. 

Another silver lining....having the option to run a low-point HQ is very nice, especially if you want to spend points in other slots or if you happen to be trying to spend minimum points to fulfill an allied or 2nd full detachment requirement. For instance, if I want to run six heavies, I need two full detachments....a situation in which I'd probably be running a sanguinary priest, tech marine, or non-upgraded librarian. I was always frustrated in the old codex that our cheapest HQ option was 100 points whereas other armies had 50-65 point options. 

The Armour options are a little lacking but they are a solid HQ buff, yes they are 10 points more but jump packs are cheaper so for the same priest cost with jump pack you still get FNP, improve stats, an additional wound and it buffs the units WS.

I think the real complaint should be that Lemartes is now a Elites option over a unit upgrade.

Since my last BA lists were pretty centered around a Librarian+2 priests for support, I'm having the most trouble picking which I want to fill my second HQ slot, Lib or priest.  I can always run 2 detachments, but since I want more Elites and Fast than troops now (damn my glued on jump packs!), I really don't want to spend more on Troops than I have to.  Especially since i don't intend to run a CAD with Objective Secured, the +Init is just too good to passs up on.

So I guess the worst part about HQ priests is that now my choices in the HQ slot are tougher.  And my choices for Elites and Fast.  But since you only have tough choices when you have multiple good options, then I think its still a good thing for the book and community, right?

Given their heightened importance within the IXth versus other codex chapters, I wasn't surprised by the change to Sanguinary Priests.  This is particularly true with them having 2 wounds now.  On the other hand, the Clan Raccoon book lets IH take massive swarms of Techmarines, who have a similar position of honour within the Iron Tenth.

The one that really blew me away though was Command Squads requiring an Elite slot.

It's just the lack of a potential 2+ that mars it for me - they should be HQ, and I don't think I  have ever used more than two, so I'm not distraught about the loss of 1-3 per Elite slot.  Love having a second wound, with cheaper JPs it's is just more for less as far as I see it.

I'll definitely try them in smaller point games, we play a lot of 750 and 1000 games and pricey HQs can reduce the available options somewhat - although a 65pt Libby is now also available to fill that role, decisions decisions.

My only reason for disliking this change is the fact I have over a dozen priest models.  I think I can still run them all in apocalypse though so its not a complete loss.  Also, converting that damned chalice is a PITA.  I'll be hitting ebay for a few of the new plastic ones.

Agree with Red-Beard.  I haven't run more than 2 priests in a long time anyway, and with Dante a LOW I can still run 2 priests if I want to.

This is exactly what I was thinking, with Dante being my go to character at this point I should still be able to field 2 priests fairly often.

Agree with Red-Beard.  I haven't run more than 2 priests in a long time anyway, and with Dante a LOW I can still run 2 priests if I want to.

This is exactly what I was thinking, with Dante being my go to character at this point I should still be able to field 2 priests fairly often.

I'm leaning towards a priest and a librarian or chaplain rather than 2 priests, but that will be decided in playtesting.

Really, if it were any other force that had Priests and they got punted to a less spammable position we'd probably be sighing in relief, so it's fair play that Blood Angels are in the same boat. It's a decent balance, and (to me) they feel more valuable now, rather than "Oh, one died. Good thing I have over half a dozen more".

Great point James....being able to run Seth/Dante (LoW slot) plus two priests (HQ slot) sort of makes it "feel like" the priests aren't consuming the HQ slots. 

Yes, definitely this. Having priests as an HQ choice that actually take up a slot make it much easier to bring Dante or Seth. I am all for it.

I can't wait to get a game in using Dante, he looks like a beast.

My only reason for disliking this change is the fact I have over a dozen priest models.  I think I can still run them all in apocalypse though so its not a complete loss.  Also, converting that damned chalice is a PITA.  I'll be hitting ebay for a few of the new plastic ones.

Apocalypse Sanguinary Ward formation. Blood Chalices stack.

:P

I agree that it's a nerf, but I think that the +1 WS buff means that I will definitely still find a use for them. They are a natural attachment to sanguinary guard - increased WS meshes very nicely with the limited reroll granted by the Master Crafted USR, but it isn't redundant the way it would be if you paired them with a chaplain. The biggest problem is that I, too, have way too many sanguinary priests now.

I agree that it's a nerf, but I think that the +1 WS buff means that I will definitely still find a use for them. They are a natural attachment to sanguinary guard - increased WS meshes very nicely with the limited reroll granted by the Master Crafted USR, but it isn't redundant the way it would be if you paired them with a chaplain. The biggest problem is that I, too, have way too many sanguinary priests now.

Its a pain I know but we have to suck it up and move on.

After all, its not as if we had the same number of priests as some people have Assault Marines is it? ;)

Archived