New BA formations in WD 47

SonOfThunder

WD 47 has 3 new formations for BA/FT, and apparently they are WD exclusive. These would be in addition to whatever comes from Exterminatus.

Link to leaks:

http://descansodelescriba.blogspot.com.es/2014/12/wdw-47-desveladahobbitjuegos-y-extras.html

Having a hard time reading some of the stuff, but what I can understand is:

Disclaimer: I'm very bad at reading blurry numbers, so all the unit amounts might be wrong.

ANGEL'S WRATH INTERVENTION FORCE

2 ASM, 1 VV, all must have JPs. They must be in reserves, and they come in with a single roll. When deployed, deploy the VVs first. If the ASM are within 6" of the VVs, they don't scatter. Any enemy unit within 6" of anyone in the formation receives a S4 AP- hit for each mini within 6". The next turn any units that got hit move as if they were in difficult terrain.

The rules sound fun-ish, but they don't benefit of Dante's DoA, and they lose the +1I...plus vanvets are not DC...

ANGEL'S FURY SPEARHEAD FORCE

1 Tactical Squad, 1 Stormraven. I can only read objective secured, everything else is too blurry for me. The restrictions force the tacs to be embarked on the raven. The sarge gets a teleport homer for free. They get some rule affecting BA units deep striking close, but I don't understand what it does.

Difficult to comment without knowing the actual rules. A teleport homer on a unit that does't enter the game till turn 2 earliest doesn't look too fancy though.

FLESH TEARER'S BLOOD RAIN STRIKE FORCE

1 DC, 1 VV, 1 ASM, 1 furioso, 1 Stormraven. Everyone must either have a JP, or be embarked in the raven. Units disembarking from the raven can reroll charge distance and have Rage when they disembark. Everything starts on reserves. Roll once for the whole formation. Can reroll. Units arriving by deep strike have counter-attack and fearless till their next turn.

This one can be kind of cool, but you're still probably better off with Dante and his rerolls, and the +1I.

I find it funny how they are putting a VV tax on all the jumper formations :)

These formations look like nice additions to other armies. Like TWC with jumper support, without the HQ and troops of an allied detachment. But I don't feel they add much over what the Dex proper offers. Thoughts?

Edit...i'm dumb...the links point to a spanish site, but the WD pics themselves are in english!

Angel's wrath could be useful if you were already planning on taking VV in your primary det, but without DoA it will be tricky to get close enough to affect the units you want to.

The FT formation - again only useful if you were going to run those units anyway. Rage and reroll charge range on a S10 AP2 dread is no bad thing. Maybe also VV could use the raven and still get rage on their multi-charge.

A little different, but not something I can see myself using.

Difficult to comment without knowing the actual rules. A teleport homer on a unit that does't enter the game till turn 2 earliest doesn't look too fancy though.

Much cheaper way of getting an Objective Secured Troops choice than taking an additional CAD though, assuming you were going to take a Stormraven anyway.

I bet I could work the FT blood rain (chocolate raaaain :P).

Take a min squad of 5 ASM with jump packs, 2 meltas, and twin infernos pistols.

Put JPs on the DC since it's so cheap now.

Put lots of power weapons and fists and such on the VV and have them and the fragioso go in the raven.

Roll for everyone at once, drop the ASM in first next to tanks and AA. Drop the DC with an attached chaplain with the Jp relic to drop all interceptor shots to snap shots ;) (cheeeeese!!!) and drop the DC in front of the ASM to give cover. Have raven fly in too.

On shooting phase, destroy any MCs, tanks, and AA with the ASM and shots from the raven.

Next turn just assault with your DC and have the VV and fragioso pile out of the raven (fragioso gets rage!!!) and assault things.

Hell yeah.

I think you can easily ally in a chappy with the JP relic and attach him for extra lolz.

Thoughts?

Sounds fun, but again nothing you can't do with Dante in a baal detachment. The tacs+raven one sounds half solid, but need to have all the rules first.

Edit: i've been trying harder to read the raven+tac rules. If i'm reading it right, it can reroll reserves (rerolling reserves is the new black)...and it can start rolling for reserves from turn 1 :o . There's some kind of bonus for units deepstriking close, but i can't read that one. Anyway, if I read that correctly...thats a freaking stormraven entering play turn 1. HUGE.

Edit2: there's an article that explains how this formation is great combined with the VV+ASM one. Units that deepstrike within 12 of the raven don't scatter.

Edit3: the tac+raven formation might actually be 3 tacs and 3 ravens, all coming in together. The tacs must be 10 strong. The pic has 3 ravens in it and the text speaks of several tac squads. Around 1000 pts barebones...

Sounds fun, but again nothing you can't do with Dante in a baal detachment. The tacs+raven one sounds half solid, but need to have all the rules first.

Edit: i've been trying harder to read the raven+tac rules. If i'm reading it right, it can reroll reserves (rerolling reserves is the new black)...and it can start rolling for reserves from turn 1 :o . There's some kind of bonus for units deepstriking close, but i can't read that one. Anyway, if I read that correctly...thats a freaking stormraven entering play turn 1. HUGE.

Edit2: there's an article that explains how this formation is great combined with the VV+ASM one. Units that deepstrike within 12 of the raven don't scatter.

The tacraven formation is now an auto-include for me. I'll have to experiment with the other one.

These are all out of Exterminatus, right? I don't NEED to buy the WD unless I want to?

Edit: i've been trying harder to read the raven+tac rules. If i'm reading it right, it can reroll reserves (rerolling reserves is the new black)...and it can start rolling for reserves from turn 1 ohmy.png . There's some kind of bonus for units deepstriking close, but i can't read that one. Anyway, if I read that correctly...thats a freaking stormraven entering play turn 1. HUGE.

The tacraven formation is now an auto-include for me. I'll have to experiment with the other one.

These are all out of Exterminatus, right? I don't NEED to buy the WD unless I want to?

If this is true, i'm buying another Storm Raven.

Think so, don't forget we also have the Shield of Baal-book coming out the same day.

It's kind of messed up that they didn't include those in the book.. Guess I will just torrent them.

I can see a number of legit reasons to include them as a WD exclusive. Maybe they're ideas the WD team liked but didn't have space to include?

censored.gif GW, Now you want us to buy your advertising rag to get all the options that should have been in the codex in the first place.

Because it isn't like they've been doing that since the Index Astartes articles of 3rd Edition that introduced the first Legion rules for Chaos.

How did Solomon put it? "There is nothing new under the sun." This is all stuff GW has done before and the reason they're doing it is because the same people who complain about it today were the first people to jump on it back then. You can glean however much irony you want from that fact.

censored.gif GW, Now you want us to buy your advertising rag to get all the options that should have been in the codex in the first place.

Because it isn't like they've been doing that since the Index Astartes articles of 3rd Edition that introduced the first Legion rules for Chaos.

How did Solomon put it? "There is nothing new under the sun." This is all stuff GW has done before and the reason they're doing it is because the same people who complain about it today were the first people to jump on it back then. You can glean however much irony you want from that fact.

Yeah, I think it's their new model to generate ongoing cash flow. Create an army/codex and then trickle out new formations/detachments and new models.

My poor Tyranids army have had five books released since their codex 11 months ago, each book contained extra formations and each book had to be bought (Anywhere from ~$20 to $66 a piece for those five books). At least the WD is only $4 =p.

If there is good news, it is that you don't have to buy all the subsequent books in order to play BA. They are all optional. Also, while these new formations tend to give you some different fun options, they tend to be pretty well balanced, so it's not like you're at a disadvantage in games if you don't have the book.

Edit3: the tac+raven formation might actually be 3 tacs and 3 ravens, all coming in together. The tacs must be 10 strong. The pic has 3 ravens in it and the text speaks of several tac squads. Around 1000 pts barebones...

Also I think I can make out something that says " make assault on the turn it arrived from deep strike"!

I dunno I may just be seeing things but if it's rights then the only units I can think of that use teleport homers would be assault terminators!!

Also I think I can make out something that says " make assault on the turn it arrived from deep strike"!

I dunno I may just be seeing things but if it's rights then the only units I can think of that use teleport homers would be assault terminators!!

That'd make this the best formation ever. It does say something about ba units arriving from DS, and the word "charge" seems to be there, but...

"If a friendly unit with the blood angels faction arrives from deep strike reserves within 12" of at least one model from this formation equipped with teleport homers, then it does not scatter, and can charge on the same turn it arrives".

The last sentence could be something totally different, it's the hardest to make out. And the hardest to believe :)

Archived