New BA formations in WD 47

SonOfThunder

censored.gif GW, Now you want us to buy your advertising rag to get all the options that should have been in the codex in the first place.

Why should they? We have two in the book already, three in Apocalypse and 10+ in SoB: Exterminatus. What is wrong with them added some more in White Dwarf? You seem overly bitter these days... :(

With 1750 I can field something like this:

HQ

Librarian (Galians staff, mb)

Elites

Death Company 8 (x1 power weapon, x1 powerfist, jump packs) 

Terminator Assault Squad 5 (TH/SS) 

Troops

Scout Squad 5

Scout Squad 5

Fury Spearhead Force Formation

I'm just wondering if its better to just get a 2nd DC squad instead of Hammernators. Termies with S9 Thunderhammers on the charge with 2+/3++ is pretty great but they are kinda slow. DC are fast and will pretty much munch through anything but they are relatively squishy compared to Hammernators.

The other option is to use the Archangel detachment, ditch the DC and go Terminator heavy instead. You lose the tasty DC but you don't have to pay the Troop tax.

Angel's wrath intervention force

Formation:

1 vanguard veteran squad

2 Assault squads

Restrictions:

All models in this formation must be equipped with jump packs

Special rules:

Guided drop:

This formation must be placed in deep strike reserve. Make a single reserve roll for the entire formation. If successful, all units arrive from the formation. The formations unit of vanguard veterans must be placed first and units of assault marines do not scatter so long as the first model is placed within 6" of the vanguard veterans unit.

Meteoric impact:

Immediately after deploying, any enemy units within 6" of any units from this formation suffer a strength 4 AP- hit for each of their models which is within 6" of a model from the formation. In addition, these enemy units must move as if they are in difficult terrain until the end of their next turn

I think that this formation is a bit of an over-looked gem. It does not need to be too expensive but it is actually very cool.

Take Vanguard Vets with whatever wargear you like. Then take 2 5-man assault squads each with with 2 melta guns and 2 infernus pistols. When these guys turn up, you have 2 non-scattering squads, each with 4 melta shots. That should be enough to BBQ anything short of 2 Land Raiders (and even LRs will go down with a bit of luck).

Plus it is fairly cheap, you could put one together for as little as 400 points and people probably have most of the models already.

The other option is to use the Archangel detachment, ditch the DC and go Terminator heavy instead. You lose the tasty DC but you don't have to pay the Troop tax.

Well, in either case you need something to make sure you've a minimal table presence at the end of turn 1 in case the ravens don't show up. Else you'll lose like 12% of your games after 2 bad dice rolls smile.png What detachment gives you the most durable option and lets you keep some heavy hitters in reserves to profit from assaulting from reserves after a no scatter deep strike?

censored.gif GW, Now you want us to buy your advertising rag to get all the options that should have been in the codex in the first place.

Why should they? We have two in the book already, three in Apocalypse and 10+ in SoB: Exterminatus. What is wrong with them added some more in White Dwarf? You seem overly bitter these days... sad.png

I'm just a bit annoyed at the widespread practicse of releasing unfinished/incomplete products and then selling the rest as "upgrades". What I particularly dislike about GW is that they do a significant portion of their products in a "while stocks last" fashion, coercing us to either buy those products right now or not getting them. Limited Editions that only add material not relevant to the game (other book format, additional artwork etc.) is fine, but depriving anyone who does not buy the WD or other products beyond rulebook and codex of options to build armies is what I don't like.

HOLY CRAP Angel's Fury Spearhead Force (Blood Angels) that thing is pure cheese!

Enter 3 ravens turn 1, drop 3 drop pods full of death company and KILL EVERYTHING!

W00000t I think I just found my new tournament list biggrin.png

Am I the only one who thinks that this formation is utter garbage in any list below 2.5k? I would be happy if my opponent put that one on the table at 1750 points, because it would mean an automatic win for me.

HOLY CRAP Angel's Fury Spearhead Force (Blood Angels) that thing is pure cheese!

Enter 3 ravens turn 1, drop 3 drop pods full of death company and KILL EVERYTHING!

W00000t I think I just found my new tournament list biggrin.png

Can unbound lists contain formations and thus get the rules for the formation on the units makin up the formation?

Units allowed to assault need to come from the Deep Strike reserves, I'm not sure that includes units inside deepstruck transports (like the pods).

Immesturm, the formation enters play turn 1 rerolling reserves. There's a slim chance that it won't make it...but if it does, that's far from an auto win for your opponent.

How so? You only get an automatic win if there's nothing on the table at the end of a Game Turn, not a Player Turn.

No. I get an automatic win because the list will perform very poorly.

If I have first turn, I get a free reign over the field. You have over 1k points in reserve. Due to my insane alpha strike chances are that I table you.

If you get the SR on, it would not matter. They do not have enough firepower to get through 2+/3++ characters or through invisibility. Your capping prowess will be extremely low, so annihilation will be your only option.

I can also avoid your assault after DS by splitting up my force or moving away from the SR. 12" movement units are very good at avoiding flyers.

You could charge with Tacs from SR, but they will not hold up against dedicated melee units.

But that is just my list.

Against Eldar, at least one SR will be shot down and their fast movement will allow them to dominate the capping game.

Against Tau, two Ravens will go down T1-2.

You simply have too few units on the field and the Ravens do not posses enough firepower to make a difference.

@Immersturm Especially vs Eldar this should work awesome, because drop podding units can clear 3 serpents turn 1 (unless maybe playing hammer&anvil, but then you give up board presence too). The other serpents will likely have to either boost away and not shoot, or get charged by the tacs in the ravens turn 2. If you have first turn there is no invisibility or rerolling, and 2+ characters will fall to charging DC like everything else. The capping prowess is quite strong after turn 1, after all you have 30 power armor bodies in those ravens.

I can see some problems vs castling Tau with a lot of interceptors, but those lists are not nearly as prevalent in the current meta as they used to be (at least not around here).

By the way, you only lose the game if there is nothing on the board at the end of the game turn, not player turn, so I can deploy nothing and still not lose the game if I have drop pods msn-wink.gif

It can certainly go wrong (like every list), but it is far from weak, I will have to build a list to evaluate it properly, but at least at 2000pts I am sure it will be very strong.

P.S. Of course this assumes that you can play a regular primary detachment and this formation as a secondary detachment, else forget what I said msn-wink.gif

You will have 500-600 points left on field presence. What are you going to take to will stop me from just roflstomping it?

As for Eldar, DP will not delete a Serpent, unless you can reliably ignore cover and glance it to death. Last time I looked, Serpents were immune to alpha strike due to Shields and 3+ cover in ruins or when jinking.

Only very specific combinations can deal with Serpents T1, and even fewer are useful in other areas. I can only think of one right now.

Edit: And yes, I agree. This setup will start to shine at 2k+, but not below that.

I'm not sure you get my idea - I fly in my 3 stormravens turn 1, then drop 2-3 drop pods without scattering and charge your serpents with DC (the only reliable way to kill those bastards)! They are immune to shooting alphastrike (unless you get broadsides into range), this is the first time we see something that can assault from deepstrike. smile.png

The DC will land within 36+12+(drop pod diameter) + 6 inches from your board edge, so you are able to reach almost any point on the board.

The opponent can also not put his army into reserves, because you will wipe him turn 1 if he has a weak presence.

edit:/ An approximate List for me would be something like:

3x Tacs

3x Stormraven

2x DC (pod, some fists)

2x Scouts

1x Corbulo

1x Something with pod (ASM or Furioso, depending on points)

Homing Beacons only work when they are on the table at the start of the turn. You pods will scatter T1. Only T2 they will not.

However, it might work if the pods still hit within range of two beacons, because then they could benefit from the assault rule. Still, you will have quite the way to go and without active beacons T1, it will be too random.

This strategy also only works at higher than 2k points, meaning that it is way beyond pretty much all tournaments.

Homing Beacons only work when they are on the table at the start of the turn. You pods will scatter T1. Only T2 they will not.

The way it is worded now the homing beacon does not matter, you just need to be within 12" of two of the stormravens^^ They need to be equipped with the beacons, it doesn't say they need to be active.

The list I just posted should work at 1850pts, or 2000 for sure, I will surely try it out :)

Really not sure how i feel about buying this after buying 2 limited edition campaign books, a new army book, dice and objective cards in about a month right before Christmas. sad.png

The Formation still sound good but I do have concerns over losing the buffs of the other Formation in our codex.

It's £2.40 and like all additions, it's optional :)

Posted · Hidden by Morticon, December 17, 2014 - unconstructive
Hidden by Morticon, December 17, 2014 - unconstructive

I would have used the Angel's Fury formation IF IT WERE IN THE GODDAMN 30 QUIDS CODEX LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO. As is, I won't pay to support a DLC model for a tabletop game, censored.gif you very much GW. I'll wait for the day it gets released for free, or die waiting.

Holy crap, I can't believe how enraged I am. God damn it, Day One DLC bull:cuss in a tabletop game.. Unbelievable. It's a whole new low, AFAIC.

I know. But pods will scatter T1, so it is not guaranteed that they land within 12" of two Raven. That is what I am saying.

But why? The Formation says that if a unit lands within 12" of two units equipped with teleport homers, it will not scatter, no restriction on the turn number. The teleport homer itself is only active turn 2, but the formation special rule works from turn 1 :)

Archived